Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamies 30 Minute Meals - Food processor

Options
  • 31-10-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what food processor he uses from the show, or could someone recommend me one that is similar. I really need one, as i dont have one at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Does anyone know what food processor he uses from the show, or could someone recommend me one that is similar. I really need one, as i dont have one at home.

I bought this a few weeks back. Works very well, is compact and plenty of attachments - and the price is right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I like the look of this one, seems nice and neat. I find if they're too big and cumbersome, you tend to leave them in the press. Or this one looks good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks a million guys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

FWIW...In Ep 02 (Thai Red Prawn Curry) the food processor he has on the worktop is a magimix.

I've never been a huge fan of them, but I know a lot of people swear by them as being the unkillable workhorse of food-processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

He does indeed use a magimix - the first time I saw him make shortcrust pastry in 30 seconds in a magimix I felt... well I felt like a right gobshite for previously spending 25 minutes making butter n flour 'breadcrumbs' for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

ha ha the sweeper, lesson learnt! thanks guys, thanks bonkey
    i bought the cheap kenwood for now untill i save for a much bigger and better one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

He does indeed use a magimix - the first time I saw him make shortcrust pastry in 30 seconds in a magimix I felt... well I felt like a right gobshite for previously spending 25 minutes making butter n flour 'breadcrumbs' for years.

Yeah...I had the same epiphany regarding my "crumble" mix.

Holy ****....I can do this how quickly????

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jhynes2009

I timed myself making one of his 30minute meals without a food processor and it took about an hour - I've been looking to get one since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

It's definitely a Magimix and I'm assumin it's the latest model which is €200+

Strange why he's not using his own brand Tefal one instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Eoinite wrote: »

Watched Jamie earlier on Channel 4, and thought the same:D

Mind you the food looked so good and tasty, going to buy the book to go with the series...

Need a food processor too, but cannot keep it on counter top due to space constraints so need good compact work horse. Will need to wait till next month though. Good suggestions on this thread so far, but thinking cheapish model:)

• Advertisement

Eoinite wrote: »

In his "Ministry of Food" cook book he says that he has never found anything as efficient or with better guarantees then the Magimix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

My husband and I are doing the Jamie Oliver 30 minute book as a sort of cookery course. He convinced us of the need for a food processor. I used to be very very anti-appliance, but this one is needed!

We bought the Kenwood Multi-pro last week because it has a glass liquidizer (good for hot or cold) and they use the same base so it doesn't take up much space. Very very pleased with it now. Been slicing all kinds of veg, making pastes and sauces, and generally saving butt loads of time.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Magimix, though if you can afford it, go for it :)

I've tried a few of the recipes from the show aswell and have also been convinced for the need of the food processor! Will be very excited when it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Betsysquared

jhynes2009 wrote: »
    I've tried a few of the recipes from the show aswell and have also been convinced for the need of the food processor! Will be very excited when it arrives!

What one have you gone for?
    Might get the Kenwood compact one myself, on sale in Debenhams, see how I get on and if I become a culinary genius, might upgrade in the future!

Still researching different ones and doing price comparisons but leaning towards the magimix food processor. It comes with a 12 year motor guarantee, and it's impossible to find any second-hand ones so I'm taking that as a good sign that people hang on to them. The big names I've come across are Kenwood, Kitchenaid and Magimix. They all seem to do long-lasting food processors. I'm hoping whatever one I go for will stay with me for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have just got a phillips blender for Christmas and surprisingly enough I really like it.

It has a good sized bowl and although it is only 700W, its still powerful enough to do everything required.

I'm not sure how long it will last, but phillips is reputable enough for me not to worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have a Magimix which my Aunt gave to me nearly 20 years ago. She had used it for a good 10 before that. It's still good as new, it, and all it's attachments have never needed to be replaced. I use it a lot, and it's had a fair battering over the years.

I used to sell food processors and imo, Kenwood are not what they were. They are no-where near as strong as the Magimix, we got a lot of returns, and they just feel flimsy. It's a shame, as they were such a good brand.

Obviously on a tight budget they're grand, but I would include them in with generic Tesco/Argos etc own brands. See which store is offering the best guarantee.

If you can afford it, get a Magimix or KitchenAid. Or talk sweet to your Auntie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Bought the book....not mad on the recipes to be honest...really do feel it's a way of getting people to go out and buy food processors....i.e. the equipment is pushed so much in the book, at the expense of the recipes...just an opinion but one I feel strongly about...

anyways, in terms of food processor..Arnotts have a kenwood one on special offer right now under 300 eur (not sure exact cost)- includes blender and integrated weighing scales...definately worth a look if you're starting out....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I think there are lots of under-used food processors in the world. I have a magimix and have to admit I don't use it enough. The risk when you get one is that the only blade on it that ever gets used is the blending blade. There are a bunch of discs that come with it and because it's not really intuitive in terms of what they'll do (and they look very similar) they sit in the box and remain in pristine, unused condition.

One of my favourite discoveries with the magimix was that I could make fantastic home-made coleslaw in minutes with it. The coleslaw I can buy in the shops here is over-processed crap. Last time I made a bowl of the home-made stuff, I ended up skipping the steak completely and having coleslaw with buttered fresh sodabread.

What I like about what I've seen of Jaime's 30 min meals series is the ideas. I watched him do a vegetable curry the other night, and it was the sides and additions that fascinated me. The carrot salad - using the magimix to grate. A lemon pickle that takes 10 seconds in a hot pan and is brilliant with rice. Rice by absorption that turns out perfectly and really takes absolutely no more effort than plain rice. The breads I can take or leave - a curry with rice and bread is a surefire route to fat bastard central that I personally can do without (because I have no willpower and will eat double handfuls of all carbs).

On the emphasis on food processors - I think Jolliver is genuinely passionate about getting people cooking. He may assume that lots of people have underused equipment in their kitchens, and I think he wouldn't be too far off the mark. But as for whether he's trying to sell food processors - I think that's precisely why he isn't using his Tefal food processor on the show, because he doesn't want to look like he's trying to sell kit.

Interesting - I wonder if this forum would support a Magimix thread where people posted recipes where they specifically used the food processor as an integral part of the cooking, just to try and get those of us who have the kit using it more? Anyone?

From watching the show, I loved the different salads he did with the processor - so quick and easy and the dressings aswell! Alot of the time I get bored with salads because I find it hard to think of stuff outside the lettuce, tomato, cucumber, grated carrot box.

I love the idea of a Magimix tread or general food processor thread - take out those magic machines and dust them off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

I'd love to swap recipes for the food processor.

We plan on doing things like hummous, falafel, and also babaganoush.

I'd also like to try tapenades.

Agreed completely about the carrot salad it was great! Though I'm taking to calling the book "Jamie's 30 minute kitchen nightmare" for all the washing up.

Another new fave is the banana ice cream, we've had twice now. We froze the chopped bananas and whizzed with some frozen berries. The yoghurt and honey are needed to loosen it all up. Whoosh super fast dessert.

http://www.instructables.com/id/1-ingredient-Ice-Cream/

Advertisement