Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time worker holiday pay entitlement.

Options
  • 31-10-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Somebody informed me recently that as a part time worker I am entitled to 8% pay for every hour I worked before the 31st of December. Is this true? And if so what are the conditions? I can't find any information on citizens information about it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sue345

Every worker is entitled to holiday pay, as you stated you are paid hourly and work part time so it would be calculated at 8% of your total hours worked.

However if you were salary paid your holidays would be based on a minimum of 4weeks holiday a year i.e you work 3 days a week X 4 week minimum = 12 holiday days per year.

Depending on your work contract most holiday years run from Jan-Dec and usually you would need permission from a Manager to carry any unused holidays forward to the following year.

One thing to note is that in order to get paid for holidays you actually have to take the time off work - unless you are leaving employment with them, then they have to pay you for any outstanding holidays not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From employmentrights.ie
    The holiday entitlement of a part-time employee is related to the
    holiday entitlement of comparable full-time employee, subject to the
    minimum legal entitlements under the Organisation of Working Time
    Act 1997.
    Under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 a part-time
    employee’s minimum annual leave entitlement is
    (i) 4 working weeks in a leave year in which a part-time
    employee works at least 1365 hours (unless it is a leave
    year in which he/she changes employment)
    (ii) 1/3 of a working week per calendar month that the part-time
    employee works at least 117 hours
    (iii) 8% of the hours worked in a leave year subject to a
    maximum of 4 working weeks. These provisions have not
    been altered by the terms of the Protection of Employees
    (Part-Time Work) Act 2001.

Advertisement