Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westie x yorkie = workie !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

While I usually agree with the particular posters who are saying an emergency spay is the right thing to go, I cant agree this time.

She is four weeks pregnant, imo it would be a horrible thing to do to a dog when the prenancy isnt threatening her life. If the male was a much larger dog then yes but when the male is roughly the same size as her I couldn't do it. Not in a million years would I do that to a dog of mine.

I am all for neutering, I think every single person that has a dog/bitch should be neutering unless its for completly ethical breeding ie to elinimate health problems, to better the breed etc but not when the dog is already pregnant.

OP do what you think is best, only you can make the decision for your dog. But please if you go ahead with the pregnancy please please get her spayed when your vet recommends it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

have been reading another thread of yours about walking your dog........
    it seems your dog was in heat while walking it and from this i reckon you need some education bout dogs etc...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

dahat wrote: »
    have been reading another thread of yours about walking your dog........
    it seems your dog was in heat while walking it and from this i reckon you need some education bout dogs etc...............

dahat , that thread of mine was referring to about one and half maybe two yrs ago , funny how you ar all so physic you can all know for yourselves how my dog was in heat ,some people with great skills on these forums ready to jump at newcomers who ask a question.

Also I have a good knowledge and education about dogs and how rude of you to say otherwise .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Go and see the vet, make sure that the bitch is fit and healthy. Also get some puppy replacement milk to have in the house just in case. I think the Royal Canin is the best.

The breeds are both small, so you shouldn't need pig rails hopefully in the whelping box. A tip that I picked up on a husky forum, and one that we have used with a rescue bitch that had pups was to use a plastic kids paddling pool as the whelping box. Line it with vet bedding, fleece blankets etc, but you can take them out to wash very easily, and clean the plastic pool as well. I use Milton sterilising tablets and the spray cleaner. Once the pups start to eat on their own, I used the dishes that go under pot plants, again, very easy to clean and no real expense.

Make sure that you have puppy food in and are feeding that to the mum, she needs plenty of extra nutrition at this time and when she's feeding the pups.

Its a cold time for her to be having the pups, so please keep her and the pups inside, somewhere really warm, a heat lamp is a great idea, or one of those pads that you put into the microwave to heat up, but make sure that the whelping box has an area that is a bit cooler, so that Mum and the pups can get away from the heat if they need to.

Weigh the pups when they're born, and then regularly after that, so that you can make sure they are all thriving and putting on weight.

You have time, so I would recommend you go onto Amazon or somewhere similar and get a book called "Book of the Bitch" and read and re-read it before the litter arrive, it is a fantastic book - kind of the breeders bible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

goat2 wrote: »
    i dont know why they are all for stopping the pregnance, when there will be beautiful pups that will be beautiful pets for good homes, if she were in pups to a pitbull, i would be afraid, but not when the father is a beautiful small dog like herself, i bet people will fall in love with them as soon as they see them, i look forward to the results, you will have to put up a pic of her and her babies when they come

Yes beautiful pups, beautiful pets, until the novelty wears off and they end up in the pound or a rescue centre. All puppies are gorgeous and cute and lovely and you just want to cuddle them but they are not toys, they are expensive and time consuming and many many people soon lose interest. Not to mention the fact that op has no experience of a pregnant bitch & puppies before and I don't know her circumstances financially but a litter of pups cost money, special bedding, heating, food, injections. The mother doesn't just pop them out one day and lo and behold 8 cute puppies all lovely and healthy and ready to go to a nice loving home. Please be realistic about this

• Advertisement

gucciali wrote: »
    dahat , that thread of mine was referring to about one and half maybe two yrs ago , funny how you ar all so physic you can all know for yourselves how my dog was in heat ,some people with great skills on these forums ready to jump at newcomers who ask a question.

Also I have a good knowledge and education about dogs and how rude of you to say otherwise .

If it happened 2 years ago why were just posting about it in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

...and this is why people need to stop making excuses and spay their dogs. We really don't need more ''workies''.

ISDW wrote: »
    Go and see the vet, make sure that the bitch is fit and healthy. Also get some puppy replacement milk to have in the house just in case. I think the Royal Canin is the best.

The breeds are both small, so you shouldn't need pig rails hopefully in the whelping box. A tip that I picked up on a husky forum, and one that we have used with a rescue bitch that had pups was to use a plastic kids paddling pool as the whelping box. Line it with vet bedding, fleece blankets etc, but you can take them out to wash very easily, and clean the plastic pool as well. I use Milton sterilising tablets and the spray cleaner. Once the pups start to eat on their own, I used the dishes that go under pot plants, again, very easy to clean and no real expense.

Make sure that you have puppy food in and are feeding that to the mum, she needs plenty of extra nutrition at this time and when she's feeding the pups.

Its a cold time for her to be having the pups, so please keep her and the pups inside, somewhere really warm, a heat lamp is a great idea, or one of those pads that you put into the microwave to heat up, but make sure that the whelping box has an area that is a bit cooler, so that Mum and the pups can get away from the heat if they need to.

Weigh the pups when they're born, and then regularly after that, so that you can make sure they are all thriving and putting on weight.

You have time, so I would recommend you go onto Amazon or somewhere similar and get a book called "Book of the Bitch" and read and re-read it before the litter arrive, it is a fantastic book - kind of the breeders bible really.

Hi ISDW , thanks for your advice :)
    There i no question of my dog having her pups outside as she is a well love family pet and has grown quite acccustomed to the couch even though she has her own bed!
    I plan to get a whelping box and keep it in the kitchen .

she has already seen a vet and is in good condition.
    I used to feed her science hill but on vet's advice have changed her to select gold (sensitive) as she is an expectant mum and this is good nutrition for the puppy's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would recommend somewhere quieter for the whelping box. Maybe if you have a little room off the kitchen or something? Mammy and puppies will want some peace and quiet :D

one question..................

how come your bitch was exposed to a male dog while in her fertile period?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

one question..................

how come your bitch was exposed to a male dog while in her fertile period?

Does it matter?

The pups are on the way regardless of the answer to this question.

liah wrote: »
    Does it matter?

The pups are on the way regardless of the answer to this question.

yes indeed but i am just curious as to how it happened if it was accidental given she was in her fertile period.....

yes indeed but i am just curious as to how it happened if it was accidental given she was in her fertile period.....

To answer you question dahat , I was away on holiday and left her with a friend of mine , she wasn't in heat at the time !

To answer you question dahat , I was away on holiday and left her with a friend of mine , she wasn't in heat at the time !

well then if i offended you when i referred to you lacking education etc,i aplogise.........

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    If it happened 2 years ago why were just posting about it in the last few days?

Tranceypoo to answer your question I just found the animal forum on boards.ie last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My Yorkie got out while in heat but we didn't realise this, I was her owner but my family looked after her while I was in college. We brought her to the vet as we didn't know what to do. He said she was indeed pregnant, but we didn't know by what and she in a miniature Yorkie and there was a lot of large dogs around. On these grounds she was neutered and the puppies removed. The vet said it appears to have been a large dog alright. She may not have survived had it went ahead.

I had both Yorkies and Westies. They are both lovely breeds of dog. If you are intending to continue the pregnancy, I would not charge for them and if you are getting interested people already then thats good! But you should not charge for mongrels. There are pros and cons to pure bred and half breed dogs. It is up to you whether you allow her have the pups. Since Westies and Yorkies are both small breeds I cannot see complications with the pups sizes!

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Yes beautiful pups, beautiful pets, until the novelty wears off and they end up in the pound or a rescue centre. All puppies are gorgeous and cute and lovely and you just want to cuddle them but they are not toys, they are expensive and time consuming and many many people soon lose interest. Not to mention the fact that op has no experience of a pregnant bitch & puppies before and I don't know her circumstances financially but a litter of pups cost money, special bedding, heating, food, injections. The mother doesn't just pop them out one day and lo and behold 8 cute puppies all lovely and healthy and ready to go to a nice loving home. Please be realistic about this

Tranceypoo are you suggesting that this is what I actualy think. I find this insulting ,of course I have done my research ,also seen the vet and got good advice , I am well aware of what is needed , also my financial situation is fine thank you very much .Also I don't have experience in raising puppies but my partner has , It's not fair for people to make assumptions when the know nothing about them .

OP I think she means the novelty could wear off in their new homes.

This is usually a huge issue for people homing dogs. How to ensure you are choosing a home where they will be happy and safe for life. I really don't think she meant any offense.:confused:

Whispered wrote: »

as can happen with pedigree matings.......
    finding good homes is hard with any mating.....

This is usually a huge issue for people homing dogs. How to ensure you are choosing a home where they will be happy and safe for life. I really don't think she meant any offense.:confused:

I understand this but while I will honesly do my upmost best to home them to only the best homes (people I know ) or family , I can only do my best ,Also I plan to keep one myself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I dont think anyone can ever say 100% that their dogs are gone to a home like that. You can try your best to pick a "good owner" and that is all you can hope for.

homerhop wrote: »
    I dont think anyone can ever say 100% that their dogs are gone to a home like that. You can try your best to pick a "good owner" and that is all you can hope for.

this is true and one can only hope that if a new owner and the dog dont work out they will return it so the breeder can find a suitable placement rather than giving it up to a shelter when they are so full at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you are going to go ahead with this, and have all the health and feeding advice, the next thing is finding homes.
    I would thoroughly vet anyone interested, find the best homes you can (people that have had dogs before and cared for them well), and one thing you could do is tell people that if they have any problems or can't keep the dog at any stage, return it to you and you will rehome it.
    You need to inform people about the grooming required (and the cost of this), any possible health probs (food sensitivity, etc) and training.
    I don't think I could let a dog of mine have pups as I would have to keep them all, I'd struggle to give them to anyone as I be so worried about them being cared for properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

They are going to get a lot more crowded after the budget. I would love another dog, but have to be realistic. The springer pup is a livewire and our attention is focused on training him. To the op I hope all goes well for you.

as can happen with pedigree matings.......
    finding good homes is hard with any mating.....

Yes, I mean you cannot base it solely on the dogs breeding or there lack of!

I have seen people get pure breeds and then drop them into a pound/shelter as much as crossbreeds. The only thing I would see as a down side to cross breeds is when you don't know what size they will be. But when you know both parents are, then you are fine is they are purebreds!

OP I have a "rehoming" questionnaire used by some dog charities when vetting homes for their rescues if you want me to email it to you. It might give you an idea on what they look out for and help you with homing your pups?

I also know of breeders who have a contract that the dog is not to be rehomed unless to them. This ensures your pups never end up in the pound or dumped - but it could mean that after a while you end up with a badly trained dog on your hands looking for a home. (althouth this forum is great for helping with rehoming.)

Dahat - I hope you're not suggesting I think it would be better if these pups were not crosses? :p :eek: . My own boy is a mix of god knows what. (we think lab x staff but as he was a stray we're not sure)

Nobody is suggesting the breed of the pups will have anything to do with how good their homes are?? Why do people think that? Finding good homes is an issue whatever the breed.

As for choosing homes, when my Yorkie had pups by my other Yorkie (both purebreds!) I vetted each person thoroughly, asking that I deliver the pups and if I felt they were not suitable I told them outright. One man was willing to pay me €300 for a pup, I declined him and sold it for €200 to an older couple who I knew were going to pamper it!

Money never meant anything to me compared to their quality of life. I even sold one on a payment scheme as they were a lovely family but could only afford 50 per fortnight.

One person asked me to buy a blanket for it to sleep on before it left so it would have a familiar scent on it (they would give me the money for it) and asked what food it was on so that they would have a bag of the food it ready before we arrived. I told them I would not sell the dog if I thought they were not suitable. They said they understood, but they wanted to get the food anyway because they wanted to be repaired. They still text to tell me how she is doing, 5 years later!

Tranceypoo are you suggesting that this is what I actualy think. I find this insulting ,of course I have done my research ,also seen the vet and got good advice , I am well aware of what is needed , also my financial situation is fine thank you very much .Also I don't have experience in raising puppies but my partner has , It's not fair for people to make assumptions when the know nothing about them .

No, I posted that in response to another poster who was saying the pups will be beautiful, etc etc.
    Re your financial situation, I said I DON'T KNOW your financial situation, I wasn't saying you were rich or poor or inbetween, I DON'T KNOW.
    The impression I got from when you first came on here asking for advice is that you hadn't had a litter of pups before and didn't even realise your dog had been mated/had been in heat, you don't think that's naive? Having a female unspayed dog and not realising when/if she was in heat and so leaving her with a friend who has a male un-neutered dog? Also, I don't think that you mentioned a partner who has experience of bitches in pup before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I think whispered's questionaire could be a great help, I know when I was getting my boy the breeder questioned me for half an hour, asked about experience and knowledge of the breed, grooming, where I'd keep the pup, my garden and training, I met her dogs too. All before she even told me she had any pups available.

• Advertisement

OP I have a "rehoming" questionnaire used by some dog charities when vetting homes for their rescues if you want me to email it to you. It might give you an idea on what they look out for and help you with homing your pups?

I also know of breeders who have a contract that the dog is not to be rehomed unless to them. This ensures your pups never end up in the pound or dumped - but it could mean that after a while you end up with a badly trained dog on your hands looking for a home. (althouth this forum is great for helping with rehoming.)

Dahat - I hope you're not suggesting I think it would be better if these pups were not crosses? :p :eek: . My own boy is a mix of god knows what. (we think lab x staff but as he was a stray we're not sure)

Nobody is suggesting the breed of the pups will have anything to do with how good their homes are?? Why do people think that? Finding good homes is an issue whatever the breed.

Thanks whispered that would be great if you could email i me i will pm you . I would worry about any of the pups ending up in a rescue home but I would rather keep them myself if that were to be the case .

Advertisement