Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

westie x yorkie = workie !

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    No, I posted that in response to another poster who was saying the pups will be beautiful, etc etc.
    Re your financial situation, I said I DON'T KNOW your financial situation, I wasn't saying you were rich or poor or inbetween, I DON'T KNOW.
    The impression I got from when you first came on here asking for advice is that you hadn't had a litter of pups before and didn't even realise your dog had been mated/had been in heat, you don't think that's naive? Having a female unspayed dog and not realising when/if she was in heat and so leaving her with a friend who has a male un-neutered dog? Also, I don't think that you mentioned a partner who has experience of bitches in pup before.

No i didn't mention my partner before maybe I should have , I was on holiday while they mated i am not physic
    .:) also she wasn't in heat when I left .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

gucciali wrote: »
    i am not physic
    .:) also she wasn't in heat when I left .

you do not need to be!!!!........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

gucciali wrote: »
    Thanks whispered that would be great if you could email i me i will pm you . I would worry about any of the pups ending up in a rescue home but I would rather keep them myself if that were to be the case .
    Just leaving the computer for a while now. I'll scan it and send it onto you later, or maybe type it out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Dear Lord the Westie threads are comming at me thick and fast, I can't take it!

OP - Both Westies and Yorkies are often known to be of 'difficult' temprament, hard to train and can have behavior issues in the wrong hands. I am assuming from this and your other thread that you are relatively new to dog ownership and would ask you to reconsider continuing this pregnancy. It would be very difficult to find suitable homes for puppies of this type and there is no way you could know where they would end up. You should make an appointment with your vet to at least discuss your options and enquire about having your dog spayed which would prevent the problems in future you have addressed in both threads.

An emergency spay is the procedure that would be done here.

This is excellent advice above.

To be honest I smell a "Workie"

I have read the entire thread and I'm not convinced for one minute that this was an accidental mating. It would seem that the OP was intent on having this litter no matter what anyone says. I look forward to seeing the "Morkies" for sale in the usual haunt in a few months time.

To the OP you have been given excellent advice from the other posters, Go buy yourself a copy of "Book of the bitch". Buy/build a whelping box, get a supply of puppy milk (lactol or royal canin) in case the bitch cant feed/won't or dies giving birth. You will need a plentyful supply of bedding, a heat lamp, hot water bottle, eyedroppers, newspapers.

Prepare yourself for the puppies new homes by making up puppy packs for the new owners which could include a feeding guideline sheet, bowl, familar blanket, leaflets on worming, defleaing, microchipping, spay/neuter and a weeks supply of food. You will need to get primary vaccinations for the puppies and also you should get them microchipped.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Wish you the best of luck with your litter. I am sure you will do your best for them. Enjoy your time with them, it is a lovely experience.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    This is excellent advice above.

To be honest I smell a "Workie"

I have read the entire thread and I'm not convinced for one minute that this was an accidental mating. It would seem that the OP was intent on having this litter no matter what anyone says. I look forward to seeing the "Morkies" for sale in the usual haunt in a few months time.

To the OP you have been given excellent advice from the other posters, Go buy yourself a copy of "Book of the bitch". Buy/build a whelping box, get a supply of puppy milk (lactol or royal canin) in case the bitch cant feed/won't or dies giving birth. You will need a plentyful supply of bedding, a heat lamp, hot water bottle, eyedroppers, newspapers.

Prepare yourself for the puppies new homes by making up puppy packs for the new owners which could include a feeding guideline sheet, bowl, familar blanket, leaflets on worming, defleaing, microchipping, spay/neuter and a weeks supply of food. You will need to get primary vaccinations for the puppies and also you should get them microchipped.

Best of luck!

Kanine it was an accidental mating otherwise why would I come on here , if I wanted to mate her it would have been with a full bred westie , also you won't see workies for sale in any usual haunt as they are earmarked to friends and family .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Great Gucciali, if the pups are going to friends and family I feel you really should follow up on each and every pup and ensure they are spayed/neutered at the appropriate age and only allow them to be adopted to friends and family who agree to this. The last thing you want is more puppies coming into the world years and years down the line as a result of your mistake, because you certainly won't be able to guarantee what kind of homes they and their offspring go to. End the cycle with this mating if you can and please also consider getting your bitch spayed once she is ready after the pups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Yes beautiful pups, beautiful pets, until the novelty wears off and they end up in the pound or a rescue centre. All puppies are gorgeous and cute and lovely and you just want to cuddle them but they are not toys, they are expensive and time consuming and many many people soon lose interest. Not to mention the fact that op has no experience of a pregnant bitch & puppies before and I don't know her circumstances financially but a litter of pups cost money, special bedding, heating, food, injections. The mother doesn't just pop them out one day and lo and behold 8 cute puppies all lovely and healthy and ready to go to a nice loving home. Please be realistic about this

it could also be three of four puppies, which i do hope, but anyway we have heating on for ourselves, i am sure the op will have her in a quiet room in the house where she will be warm and able to look after her little babies. bedding can be shredded newspaper and old clothes that can be discarded after one use, there are microwavle heating pads, or a person can fill an old sock with rice and pop that in microwave and it will hold the heat for a long time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

goat2 wrote: »
    it could also be three of four puppies, which i do hope, but anyway we have heating on for ourselves, i am sure the op will have her in a quiet room in the house where she will be warm and able to look after her little babies. bedding can be shredded newspaper and old clothes that can be discarded after one use, there are microwavle heating pads, or a person can fill an old sock with rice and pop that in microwave and it will hold the heat for a long time,

It may be 3 or 4 pups but my own Westie was one of a litter of 7 which was the bitch's first litter, I believe this is more typical of the breed.

Hi there gucciali, I was just wondering how you got on with the pregnancy and if you have any updates for us or pics of the puppies yet? I'm not trying to re-open a can of worms or anything, just genuinely interested in how you are getting on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

Yes, I'd be interested too. Worries that I would have is re the fact that normally a Westie is a larger dog than a Yorkie thus maybe making giving birth harder? However, we have 3 Yorkies and all three vary considerably in size! Hope all going well anyway?
    Oops, I see that I have got this the wrong way around, should be no problem as the mother is the Westie!! I know I shouldn't have got up at 5am today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I have a workie - and he is gorgeous. There is more Westie than the yorkie in Sam. You are not going to make any money of the pups - but still a gorgeous dog.

hiya guys :) thanks for asking about my dog .I have thought about updating a few times just never got round to it .

ok so my westie went into labour a week before we thought she would . She had the first at five o clock in the evening , she seemed very frightened and didn't seem to understand what the pup was as she was in a panic and kept running from room to room away from it . All the time i was on the phone to a vet as it was now nearly three hours later and still no more pups .
    by eight o clock she had another , and then maybe every half hour after that ,she had eight in total .

three were stillborn , one was born with it's intestines on the outside . I
    took her and pups to the vet straight away , vet kept the 5th pup (who's intestines were on the outside ) so we were left with four gorgeous little pups . Vet said my dog was a lovely healthy dog and her four pups were healthy and strong , much to our relief .(pups were feeding and all was well )

However when I got up next morning another one was dead . we presumed she must have sat on it by accident :(

next morning same thing :(another pup gone . my poor dog was acting very strange and kept taking her last two pups out of the pen and carrying them in her mouth into the sitting room trying to jump up on the sofa with them :confused:. I rang the vet she said my dog was a little freaked out as her pups were dying which was understandable .

next morning another one gone , rang the vet and told her what was happening to the pups . She said it sounded like lost puppy syndrome .
    She reckoned my dog had herpes which is dormant in my dog , but passed it on to the pups , the pups couldn't cope with it as they can't maintain their temp . ( we had them in a cosy pen , beside the rad , two hot water bottles , did the best we could . we had one puppy left who seemed bigger and stronger , we hoped he would make it as he outlived the others by three or four days . Then you guessed it :( we found the last one gone next morning .

so my poor dog has no pups , she seems to be ok though , she's getting lots of TLC from us and the kids , thank god she is ok , am getting her neutered soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh my goodness, that's a very sad story

thanks......... yes it is , it was an awful time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Oh god thats so sad, really sorry to hear that. Your poor dog and poor puppies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

I am just SO very sorry......

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Jesus OP that's awful! I'm very sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Sorry to hear op! Feel better! <3 x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

How awful! God love you - that must have been so hard to go through, for both your little dog and yourself. The same thing happened a few years back with my sisters boxer - she had thirteen puppies and we lost every one of them, even the five we let out to a foster mother in a desperate effort to save them. Then, to make it worse, two days later we lost the mother as well - her caesarian scar had become infected and she was also very traumatised for the whole ordeal. She was the sweetest boxer you could imagine and the night she died her partner (another boxer) cried and cried all night. It was an awful experience and I'll never forget it.
    I'm so glad you little dog is ok and getting all the TLC she deserves:)
    Take care of her - and of yourself!

• Advertisement

Sorry you lost the puppies OP :( I'm glad your dog is fine though. I'm sure your vet has given you advice on how long to wait before neutering. It will take her a little while to get back to normal again, poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

OP so sorry to hear about the litter, it really goes to highlight the potential heartache that can be involved in breeding when not all pregnancies end in joy. I hope the bitch is recovering well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'm so sorry to hear about the pups, I've lost foster pups to that 'fading puppy syndrome' and it's heartbreaking. You try everything and nothing works. Hope the bitch is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I've never heard of this fading puppy syndrome:confused:
    I'm so shocked, Shazanne that's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard:(

OP sorry to hear about the poor little pups, that's just awful

glad to hear you will be getting her spayed, the poor girl can't go through this trauma again

hope the mother is doing well. take good care of her, she needs all your love and attention now x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

magentas wrote: »
    glad to hear you will be getting her spayed, the poor girl can't go through this trauma agai

+1

Forgot to say, as far as I'm aware if a bitch has the bug she'll keep passing it to subsequent litters, you can try giving them antibiotics but it rarely works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

magentas wrote: »
    I've never heard of this fading puppy syndrome:confused:
    I'm so shocked, Shazanne that's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard:(

OP sorry to hear about the poor little pups, that's just awful

glad to hear you will be getting her spayed, the poor girl can't go through this trauma again

hope the mother is doing well. take good care of her, she needs all your love and attention now x

Unfortunately it is very common, and is heartbreaking, I had a rescue mal that came in heavily in pup, all of her pups eventually died. I've got a litter of husky cross pups here now, and I was so worried until they were 8 weeks old, as there is nothing that you can do. Strangely, one of these pups was born with its internal organs outside its body, we had that one pts the day it was born.

Sorry to hear your story OP, it is very hard to deal with. I'm not knocking you in any way, please don't think that I am, this isn't aimed at you, but rather maybe someone who may want their bitch to have one litter. This is one of the things that people either don't know about, or don't consider when having accidental litters, or breeding without lots and lots of research. This is one of the reasons why I can never see myself allowing one of my dogs to breed (3 litters of pups from rescue dogs coming in) the heartbreak as the pups die is awful. If I think a bitch that hasn't been spayed has been got at by a male, I take them in for the injection, it doesn't have to be given the next day, I think it can be given up to 30 days later.

Advertisement