Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weeing westies

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi there. i have 2 male westie pups..11 months old. they have recently started weeing on people's legs. it only seems to happen when were out for a walk and we stop to chat to some one...they both do it. has any one encountered this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Are they both neutered? They are marking.

This behaviour needs to be stamped out as early a possible. When they start to do it, give out to them and take them away from the person with a loud No!!

Keep them on a tight leash and keep rewarding them when they pee on grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh god. Yes. (mortifying)

The dog in question was a few years old at the time, and I don't know what came into his head....he only ever did it once. Westies seem to pee an awful lot, particularly the males. They do seem to feel the need to mark every pillar and post they pass. Ivy slayer gives good advice, coz they'll keep doing it.

But in answer to your question - yes, you're not the only one with Westies doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

When my Westie was about a year, he's 2 now, I was standing outside a shop waiting for the OH and my Westie was doing his normal 'I'm about to pee dance' where he was turning, twisting til he got his position spot on. I wasn't paying full attention and before I knew it he was peeing on my shoes!!! Told him off straight away and he hasn't done it since. He's neutered and still loves to mark every pole, wall, blade of grass etc you get the picture. It must be a male thing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trinigirl

hey,
    thanks for the advice. the both dogs are neutared and the mark at every oppourtunity they get. will try out the above advice

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

Just an idea.. but maybe when your out walking don't let them pee on everything and just let them go when you said so.. like on your command.
    That might stop them from peeing on random things.. ie people's legs!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement