Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too frightened to walk my dog again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

pokertalk wrote: »
    there is no rule/law stating that your dog must be on a lead in a public place unless the dog is on the RB.really the dog should be on the lead if it does not respond well to recall or the owner has just not bothered to train it .but any good dog owner will have there dog on a lead in this case because somevpeople may think "sure my dog is harmless so y put him/her on a lead" and that may be the case but another dog on a lead that does not get on well with other dogs in the same area as the loose one is asking for truble as the loose dog may have no recall. long story short;) no or little training= leash .well trained and responds to recall=optional
    and there would be no problems

+1

I walk my corgi everywhere, including across roads/crossroads/pedestrian crossings, with no lead. I carry a lead for when I am going INSIDE (:D) somewhere with her.

The rule is that the dog must be under the owner's control at all times, leads are not even mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

OP I was just wondering if there was any dog training/behaviour place near you that you could go to to get some advice on dealing with these loose dogs. From reading it appears to be a fear you have and it is a hard one to overcome by yourself.
    If you went to a training class where you would be exposed to all different sizes of dogs and get to meet some of them and get some tips on how to behave when you meet them loose. Unfortunately people do not always keep their dogs on a lead and muzzled so it may need you to take yourself to a more confident place to be able to deal with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

ppink wrote: »
    OP I was just wondering if there was any dog training/behaviour place near you that you could go to to get some advice on dealing with these loose dogs. From reading it appears to be a fear you have and it is a hard one to overcome by yourself.
    If you went to a training class where you would be exposed to all different sizes of dogs and get to meet some of them and get some tips on how to behave when you meet them loose. Unfortunately people do not always keep their dogs on a lead and muzzled so it may need you to take yourself to a more confident place to be able to deal with it?

Thanks for all your reply's guys:) ppink -yes the more I read of the replies I have come to realise it's actually something I might fear rather than fear other dogs go near my dog . I think it is actually MY fear and something I need to get over for myself . Another suggestion was to take my dog to Marley park where they have a rule for leashes so I will do this first to build up confidence again .thanks guys .

edit: great advice ppink thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Maybe you could even meet up with some peeps who have dogs that are great off lead and who ignore other dogs so you will get some confidence xx

Advertisement