Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post hospital home care options...any advice?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows of good options for homecare as an alternative to longer hospital stay?

A family member, having been in and out of hospital with multiple complications (heart and lungs in particular – following initial admission for diverticulitus in 2008 – has during her most recent stint (8 months following a stomach surgery) had to battle hard to get back into a state that comes anywhere near well enough to come home…and experience (learning the really hard way) has taught us to be very careful to get the balance between – home too soon (regularly leading to quick readmission) or staying in hospital (but being at risk of the many infections prevalent) right.

So…does anyone know what options are available or has anyone been in a similar situation and found a successful alternative for either (equivalent to hospital) home care or part time hospital care (I’ve heard of people who go home during the day and return to the hospital at night…but I don’t know if its true)

I’ve just read about a VHI home care scheme which in terms of her illnesses she would be eligible for but none of my family are VHI members and I’m assuming that the fact that you’re already suffering from ill health means you’d be ineligible??

Does it?

I’d really appreciate any advice here

Thanks ;-)

Ps. I'm thinking in terms of short-term extensive home care as she already has care in place for her longer term rehabillitation (a carer who visits to bedbath and help with medication and a public health nurse liasing) which once she's back to general health is fine...so it's really just to avoid that risky month or so period after hospital release -cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I just met with a lady from a private home care company called Home Instead Senior Care.

I don't know if your family member is a senior but regardless this might be worth looking into. Their staff are professionally trained, screened, Garda checked and have back up support of nurses. I was really impressed with how organised and flexible they are in their care of people.

The website is www.homeinstead.ie and they have local offices in every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

graflynn wrote: »
    I just met with a lady from a private home care company called Home Instead Senior Care.

I don't know if your family member is a senior but regardless this might be worth looking into. Their staff are professionally trained, screened, Garda checked and have back up support of nurses. I was really impressed with how organised and flexible they are in their care of people.

The website is www.homeinstead.ie and they have local offices in every county.

Thanks graflynn, yes this member of my family would be senior. Had a look at their site do you know from your meeting can they help with medication etc (ie do they have an actual nursing facility or is it primarily care as i got the impression from their site that they stick only to the normal care end of things?) i gathered that they give reminders for medications but would they be authorised to give medication if necc?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

From what I gathered they are just like home help. The help with everyday things but also work closely with the client's doctors, nurses, etc to care for any medical issues there might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

graflynn wrote: »
    From what I gathered they are just like home help. The help with everyday things but also work closely with the client's doctors, nurses, etc to care for any medical issues there might be.

Thanks again graflynn...we're meeting with the hospital social worker and doctors today to see exactly what support can be expected from them and guage what we'll need to have set up ourselves.

Cheers!

Advertisement