Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rook Piercing

Options
  • 01-11-2010 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm sorry if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't see it..

Basically, I've really wanted to get my rook pierced for some time now, and I'm just looking for an honest opinion- how much does it actually hurt?
    I've heard varying descriptions of the piercing experience, including some complete horror stories! Is it worth it if I really want the piercing?
    Also, I need a good piercer in the Dublin city area who would do it, so recommendations welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I had my rook pierced in Celestial Ring (now Wildcat) in Stephen's Green about 6 yrs ago. I've a fair few ear piercings done and the rook was grand in relation to pain. Found the conch's more sore, but in no way unbearable. The rook is still quite a unique piercing so I'd say go for it. Don't worry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

i think that alot of the time it really depends on your kind of awareness of your body and pain. i guess you're worried about the pain cause its quite a thick piece of cartilidge?

i dont really feel a difference in different "thicknesses":confused::o of piercings (like say a normal helix compared to a tragus/rook or something) whereas other people would comment on how much cartilidge the needle wouldve had to go through and how much it mustve hurt compared to others!

it also depends on the piercer too i guess, like how fast the needle goes through, the angle, etc. so many things that you never really know how bad it'll be til you bite the bullet!

i was in absolute fear before i got my forward helix cause it was my first cartilidge piercing and i didnt feel a thing however someone on here said that piercing killed! everyones different!

id recommend wildcat/celestial or snakebite anyway. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've had my rook done 3/4 years now and it was grand. Got it done the first time and everything went well until the bar fell out and it closed up. Got it done a second time in the same place and it hurt much more than the first time.

The pain really varies from person to person but I didn't find it bad at all. I'd say just go for it :)

Anywhere like celestial in stephens green, bodyshock in temple bar or snakebite would be the best places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 shannone

got my rook done almost 2 years ago, I found that my tragus hurt waaaay more than the rook, it was a lil sting and then it was completely fine :) the only thing I will say is that I found it can tend to act up a little when ur stressed/sick but nothing a little salt water wont fix :D
    also the rook looks really good so go for it...good luck :D

also got it done in Wildcat St Stephen green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I love my rook. It took a lot of time to heal properly for me compared to my tragus though. I tend to pick at piercings a lot so that's probably why!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

My rook is definitely my favorite piercing. Got mine done bout 4 years ago.
    Didn't hurt that much getting pierced, but hurt for ages after, couple of weeks or so.
    Worth all the pain though, love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

I got mine done about a year ago or so. Didn't hurt, found that my tragus hurt more but neither was unbearable!
    Mine healed fine but just recently its been a bit sore but like Sench Blossoms I tend to pick at mine alot too! So just avoid that and it'll be fine.
    I'd say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

One of the main reasons for cartilage piercings hurting and taking a long time to heal is the method of piercing used. Using a canula to pierce cartilage is similar to, although not quiet as bad as, using a piercing gun. Only the tip of a canula is sharp so a certain amount of tearing occurs when the plastic outer tube goes through. This and the fact that a 1.2 canula actually has an outer diameter nearer to 1.6mm is why such piercings hurt. If you find a piercer who uses piercing blades you'll find the experience and the aftermath a lot less painful, and a lot faster to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I had my rook done a few years ago as well. Having the piercing done didn't hurt at all, the healing wasn't too bad. I found the tragus worse, but neither were horrible. I guess pain is all relative in the end though, depends on your tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I found the rook to be more painful than my traguses but a little less painful than my conch. it took an age to heal though... unfortunately i knocked it when i crashed my car in march and it rejected soon after. I really want to get it again though. it's a great piercing and a tiny bit different too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 skitzs

Hey
    I have my rook done nearly 6 months now. i thought it was worse then tragus and anti tragus! Mine swelled up allot to the size of the bar and had to get bigger bar in. Make sure and keep it cleaned! i found that if you sleep on the other side it helps in healing! Very cool discrete piercing! Well worth it!

Advertisement