Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping animals warm and safe during this recession

Options
  • 01-11-2010 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I am going to look up tips and do-it-yourself projects for helping yours or another's animals from suffering this winter. This recession is turning me into Einstein and Bob the builder for pets. Let's start talking about how we can help animals keep warm during this cold winter of recession. There are ingenius to solve some of ways that cost very little. and I mean just a few bucks, depending on the project. Here, here for a cheap sheet of metal and straw placed on the floor of a dog house to help in keeping the little fellas a bit warmer! Here!! Here!! Any more ideas good people????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While straw might help keep your dog warm (and help clean up the occassional accident), a sheet of metal is unlikely to - metals tend to be conductors, not insulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

I know its not everyones cup of tea but i found the best and cheapest way of keeping them warm and safe is inside my house. they have been knowing to snuggle up in bed with me, saves on electricity. Hot water bottle for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Well my guy is 4 months old and sleeps in the garage. We had made a pen within the garage and now the winter is approaching within the pen is a small shelter made from insulating board (left over from building our house) covered with insulation (yellow soft material) and straw on the ground.

Loves going to bed now and is still asleep when we let him out in the morning. May have to review the situation or add additional provisions when it gets even colder.

Any recently built house will have insulating board or even insulation. Not very difficult to make and cheap when it costs you nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

yolanda wrote: »
    insulation (yellow soft material)
    Do you mean fibre glass (comes in different colours)? http://www.insulationatlanta.com/fiberglass-insulation/

This would be rather hazardous to most animals health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

i say this victor because there were cats keeping themselves in our car's engine last year and I'm sure the metal became warm from them and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean fibre glass (comes in different colours)? http://www.insulationatlanta.com/fiberglass-insulation/

This would be rather hazardous to most animals health.
    What Victor said.

I think it can also cause lung scarring in animals, as most of said insulation contains small particles of fiberglass that can be breathed in. And, if the animals are sleeping on it, I'd say they'd be at greater risk.
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    i say this victor because there were cats keeping themselves in our car's engine last year and I'm sure the metal became warm from them and vice versa.
    Cats sleep on car engines, as the engines would be warmed from when it was in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Victor - rest assured it is non fibre glass wool type insulation.

the_syco - he is not sleeping on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know its not everyones cup of tea but i found the best and cheapest way of keeping them warm and safe is inside my house. they have been knowing to snuggle up in bed with me, saves on electricity. Hot water bottle for free.

Wouldn't dream of making our friends sleep anywhere but in the house. No way.... Outside? Sheesh! ;)

Old Alaskan saying.. " It's a four dog night..' They knew how to survive.

No the dogs don't sleep in the bed with me; that is for the cats...Who indeed keep the feet warm. Nice furry cats!

But collie is getting on now and she has the settee since we came here; it is an old one they were going to throw out... She is in ecstasy in her old age now and utter bliss in her every limb.

There is actually a rather fine dog kennel here but they prefer inside so that is where they are. We get bedding from the thrift shops who will often give blankets that are not good enough for humans...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Graces7 wrote: »
    But collie is getting on now
    Off topic, but look into "sashas blend" from your vet. Putting roughly half a spoon full on top of our Hollys (westie) dinner allows her to run around, pain free.

Advertisement