Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing From China For The First Time

Options
  • 01-11-2010 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am about to import small quantities of kids toys from China but am finding it very difficult to find out relevant info online about what's involved in the importation process.

I am a complete novice to the world of business so please excuse my ignorance.

If someone could answer some of my questions I would be very grateful.

1.) If I am importing a few cartons up to 6kg total weight do I still need to use an agent.

2.) Can I simply turn up at customs fill out the relevant forms pay handling fees etc to release the goods assuming the manufacturer has everything in order?

3.) What should I instruct the manufacturer to do to make sure procedures are met?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

There are several threads here re importing from China - click on search this thread and type in your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 decohy

Cheers, but I have read those and I can't find an answer to the questions as to weather I can turn up at customs and do the necessary paper work myself or if I have to hire an agent to do this.

Also regarding the SAD document, do the manufacturers fill out the necessary details in this, or is it down to the importer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

You are best to appoint an agent in Ireland and get full quotes upfront etc. I doubt its worth it for you to try and save a few quid on fees and in my experience this is a very tricky area so its best to get good help at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

There's a poster called Rudolph here. He knows this stuff inside out and is a very helpful. He imports for a living. If I were you I'd engage his services- or at least talk to him.

This stuff is a minefield... you'll probably save money with the expert knowledge and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

decohy wrote: »
    I am about to import small quantities of kids toys from China but am finding it very difficult to find out relevant info online about what's involved in the importation process.

I am a complete novice to the world of business so please excuse my ignorance.

If someone could answer some of my questions I would be very grateful.

1.) If I am importing a few cartons up to 6kg total weight do I still need to use an agent.

2.) Can I simply turn up at customs fill out the relevant forms pay handling fees etc to release the goods assuming the manufacturer has everything in order?

3.) What should I instruct the manufacturer to do to make sure procedures are met?

Hello Decohy,

this is what I would suggest ;

1) First of all determine where the goods in China are coming from (nearest port or airport)
    2) For the quantity you are indicating, it is unlikely that you would use Oceanfreight. The likelyhood is that you would use a courier service like DHL/UPS/FEDEX or that it would come by parcel post
    3) If 2) is correct then the courier company or An Post would make the required customs declaration. You would then pay for the duty (if any) and VAT at the time of delivery.

Please note that whilst you are fully entitled to issue the customs entry yourself and process it with customs, you will have to ;

1) Work out the duty / VAT
    2) Pay the duty and/or VAT

Bear in mind that not every customs office has the facility to accept / process payments, so you could end up having to pay the Customs Duty / VAT in one office and then go to the actual office for the processing of paperwork. A lot of work compared to agents who have an account with customs and process entries electronically.

Feel free to ask further questions. Happy to assist

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

If the items are for resale, have you looked into all the regulations that apply to children's toys? This particular area is one of the most heavily regulated in the EU - little children putting things into their mouths and all. If you haven't, and the items are for resale, then you need to stop and do this first, because it's a huge can of worms.

First off, thanks a lot to everyone who posted a response.

Rudolf (you're a saint) can I just clarify what you said, as the goods are being sent by DHL all I have to do is pay whatever charges are necessary on delivery?

Also regarding using an agent is that only necessary if I was doing the customs entry myself( which I wont be)?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

decohy wrote: »
    First off, thanks a lot to everyone who posted a response.

Rudolf (you're a saint) can I just clarify what you said, as the goods are being sent by DHL all I have to do is pay whatever charges are necessary on delivery?

Also regarding using an agent is that only necessary if I was doing the customs entry myself( which I wont be)?

Hello Decohy,

that's the first time I have been called a Saint. Usually the reference is to a reindeer ......., but thanks

If the shipment comes in with a socalled "integrator" (Courier company), they issue the declaration to customs (included in the price) and collect the Duty / VAT from you (for which they charge a fee of upto € 15.00, I think DHL charges less than that)

And that's it. The duty rate for toys is 2.7%, which is charged over the cost of the product, plus the freight cost and transport insurance cost. For the calculation of VAT they add the duty to the previous total and levy 21%.

Best of luck

Rudolf289

Nice one, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Adal8

Hi Rudolf,

I am new on boards.ie and I am trying to import wine from Italy. I would like to have more details about delivery costs, which one is the better choice for delivery and how much the excise duties and associated fees in alcohol importation are.

I saw the below thread about importing toys in ireland and I guess you might be helpful. If you are able to provide me with details or with your contact number to discuss this it would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Adalberto

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Decohy,

1) First of all determine where the goods in China are coming from (nearest port or airport)
    2) For the quantity you are indicating, it is unlikely that you would use Oceanfreight. The likelyhood is that you would use a courier service like DHL/UPS/FEDEX or that it would come by parcel post
    3) If 2) is correct then the courier company or An Post would make the required customs declaration. You would then pay for the duty (if any) and VAT at the time of delivery.

Please note that whilst you are fully entitled to issue the customs entry yourself and process it with customs, you will have to ;

Bear in mind that not every customs office has the facility to accept / process payments, so you could end up having to pay the Customs Duty / VAT in one office and then go to the actual office for the processing of paperwork. A lot of work compared to agents who have an account with customs and process entries electronically.

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Decohy,

Regards,
    Rudolf289

To the OP, Might I recommend Rudy(Rudolf289) to you. Helped me a lot bringing my first shipment in from the continent. 110% commitment and service, and great value too. :)

Advertisement