Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postgraduate in Korea

• 01-11-2010 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was going to post this in the studying abroad section but I see there was a similar post not so long ago.

I'll just copy and paste the benefits here from the page of my department which is Engineering and Computer Science.

Benefit: Exemption from fees and tuition (Entrance Fee, Tuition Fee)
    Master's program: 200 euro month scholarship
    Ph.D. program: 330 euro / month scholarship
    - Combined Master's and Ph.D. program: 330 euro / month

- Korean language class offered for 6 months.

The money from the scholarship is not really enough to live on, but combined with teaching English part-time, I'm surviving and enjoying myself.

I think this would be of interest to anyone who may want to travel a little for their postgrad and experience a different culture as well as learning a new language.

There's not much of an issue language wise. Almost all of the Professors will speak English fluently and a good number of students as well. You can get by with just English basically.

I don't recommend this though if you aren't ready for the culture shock, it is afterall a vastly different country.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Which university is this? Is housing provided?

Do they give you classes to work part-time or do you look for them yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Which university is this? Is housing provided?

I'd prefer not to state the name of my Uni publicly as it would be quite easy to find my details if one were to look. Not many Irish people here as you can imagine. I can tell you by private message if you'd like.

Housing isn't provided and most of the other students in my classes stay in 고시원 accommodation close to the University. A 고시원 is like a very small officetel apartment but I assume you already know that. Bed, desk and not much else.
    Do they give you classes to work part-time or do you look for them yourself?

Well I find them myself but I've been working this way for years. I work for outsourcing companies where I will go to a companies office and teach for an hour. I don't know if you're familiar with it but it usually pays around 50,000KW an hour so if you work 2-3 hours a day or over 10 hours a week you are living quite well, as well as most full-time teachers working in private schools. It's usually very easy to squeeze work in with my University classes because this kind of work is usually early morning or late evening and University classes are generally quite late here.

As well as that the system here is very different to home. While there can be quite a lot of work depending on the classes you choose to do, there are relatively few class hours. I do 9 hours in two days and that's my class time finished for the week.

I'd prefer not to state the name of my Uni publicly as it would be quite easy to find my details if one were to look.

Well I find them myself but I've been working this way for years. I work for outsourcing companies where I will go to a companies office and teach for an hour....

Totally understand about giving the university name. I take it that you are married to a Korean and that is how you have the visa? As far as I know students can not work but that may only be true for undergrads. Been living in Korea since 2004 and work at a university teaching a MA in TESOL course. We have some students who are non-Korean and they can not work. Taught some big companies myself for a couple of years. Decent pay once the contract keeps rolling over but I got tired of the whole Business English (with conversational English) scene and branched off into English language education.

A lot of Korean universities these days are offering half or free fees so it's a great advantage if you wish to continue studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

As far as I know students can not work but that may only be true for undergrads.

I never even thought to check. I just did a quick google and it appears you're right. People on student visa's are not allowed to work full-time. They are allowed work part-time in certain jobs which I assume would be in Lotteria or something similar.

Then again, we both know that it's very easy to work illegally here teaching English. I think almost everyone I know has an extra job besides their main school.
    A lot of Korean universities these days are offering half or free fees so it's a great advantage if you wish to continue studying.

Indeed. I was quite surprised with the offers considering how expensive University is for Koreans.

I never even thought to check. I just did a quick google and it appears you're right. People on student visa's are not allowed to work full-time. They are allowed work part-time in certain jobs which I assume would be in Lotteria or something similar.

Then again, we both know that it's very easy to work illegally here teaching English. I think almost everyone I know has an extra job besides their main school.

Indeed. I was quite surprised with the offers considering how expensive University is for Koreans.

True, not many Koreans are happy about those fees being waived for non-Koreans but the universities want to become more global and international so they have to attract more students to survive.

It sounds like a great opportunity and best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Apologies for the old necro, would you guys know if they are still running those schemes ?

Advertisement