Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did everyone do over Halloween?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how everyone (and their pets) did over Halloween - my lot were a mixed bag, one was very afraid and glued himself to the corners of whatever room we were in (and is still traumatised today), another was quite barky but the rest were grand.

Very hard night for anxious pets - hope it wasn't too bad for everyone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

All grand here too, my dog was panned out on the sofa all night :).
    Thank god it's over:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Have to say my guy (and me) were quite fortunate in that we live out in the sticks/deep in the countryside/back of beyonds and aside from the odd distant banger we heard nothing or saw nothing.

Was supposed to bring him on a "play date" with a friends cocker but she lives in a town so play date cancelled due to halloween!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Very quiet here fortunately. They just hid in their usual places on the kitchen chairs under the table for an hour or two while the kids were coming round trick-or-treating, and the brief burst of fireworks afterwards, but that was it. I reckon it's getting quieter each year to be honest, so the supply of fireworks must be slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

All was fine here. We have two dogs that live inside, two outdoor cats, 8 outdoor guinea pigs and 6 outdoor rabbits and a few ducks and chickens. We live in the middle of no where but our neighbour let off a few a few fields away, they weren't phased at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

i have four cats and they were all grand last night thank god, they even sat in the hall looking at the trick or treaters. I was shocked as i thought i was goin to have to give them rescue remedy. Was a quite holloween :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Not too bad, thankfully.
    I got both cats inside just as the first bangers started to go off. One of them was quite spooked and decided to spend the evening in the safety of her basket, the other one decided that now was the time to get all the cuddles he could out of mummy and daddy on the sofa, what with the competition out of the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Dog was fine, my Mam heard a vet on the radio saying not to keep reassuring them as it enforces that somethings wrong.

I sat reading in the back room with him while the missus was in the front watching X Factor.

Think watching that would have been worse on the dog :)

R

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

When we had the washing machine on, she didn't seem too bothered. When it went off she was not that impressed. Went to bed and about 30 mins later heard her trying to basically break down the door. So let her up to sleep on the rug. Didn't have a great nights sleep with her mooching around. Even woke up and she was sandwiched inbetween us! Hopefully they used up all the bangers last night and we'll get back to normal evening walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No problems with fireworks but he decided to "dress up" and covered himself in poo!! :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

No problems here, two cats in my bed, 2 dogs greeting the trick or treaters.
    Luckily we're in a small town so fireworks weren't too bad, not many bangers this year either. Went walking the dogs around 7pm and they we're bothered in the slightest by the fireworks(even the ones my neighbour let off right outside the back door:mad:).
    My daughter tried to dress the dogs as ghosts, caught her with a sheet and scissors:eek:, wouldn't be the first time they were dressed up, neither mind.
    The cat did object to being dressed, so she resorted to sticking a couple of leaves on his head so he could be a pumpkin(he's bright orange).:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As there were little/no fireworks in the area, my pets enjoyed a rather quiet Halloweeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My cat was grand but it was surprisingly quiet in my area this year. He came running in when a few bangers went off but other than that he was flaked out for most of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My kitty had a fun time watching all the fireworks over Dublin from the balcony window. I actually had the blinds pulled down but he insisted on poking his head under the blind to see what all the fuss about and was thus mesmerized by all the dazzling lights in the sky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Very quiet in our house, my dog is very old and pretty deaf now so she didn't hear a thing!! The cat had wandered off last night, and hadn't had any food, so he stuck close to the house until his dinner time. He didn't seem bothered by the fireworks or bangers, but then we live nearby a hotel that always has fireworks displays at weddings so he's pretty used to them now!

Dog was glued to myself all last night, was quite spooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Collie was spooked on Saturday afternoon; maybe it was fireworks then... However, our new tactics worked fine; a valium, then a walk to get it circulating , a good feed and she slept all night.

It was interesting in the new house that the first time the washing machine was on she spooked; I found her under the big table, and that is where she spent much of Saturday night. Seeking a cave is new for her and a very good sign indeed.

We are now out in the boonies away from activity like that and we are getting used to the traffic noise; timber trucks etc.

So maybe she is just getting habituated. Makes life os much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

no fireworks here, dogs were miffed that they were shut away so they didnt scare away the trick or treaters! hens loved getting the pumpkin this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mymo wrote: »
    No problems here, two cats in my bed, 2 dogs greeting the trick or treaters.

My daughter tried to dress the dogs as ghosts, caught her with a sheet and scissors:eek:, wouldn't be the first time they were dressed up, neither mind.
    The cat did object to being dressed, so she resorted to sticking a couple of leaves on his head so he could be a pumpkin(he's bright orange).:D

I'm also out in the middle of nowhere but have had bangers comming over the fence non stop for last 2 or 3 weeks, middle of the day, middle of the night, no pattern to it :rolleyes:. Thankfully Poppy didn't mind them at all, she had great craic, dressed up as a wicked witch and went trick or treating.

picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=7729

The horses have been very much on edge though, the kids haven't been allowed near them for the last 2 weeks, I'd say there is still more to come as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Dog and Cat indoors watching tv with sound turned up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

11 DOGS OUT MY BACK GARDEN, 1 DUE TO PUP WED, NO BOTHER FROM ANY OF THEM, BUT WHEN MY DOGS ARE YOUNG I BRING THEM OUT WITH THE SHOTGUN AND FIRE A FEW SHOTS AND THEN BANGERS NEVER SEEM TO BOTHER THEM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Our girl was bit nervous all day, seems to be back to her old self today :) There were a lot of fireworks going on around here all day and kids coming to the door but she was pretty cool about it all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

My cat was terrified. Thought she got out last night as i couldn't find her but it turned out she hid in a box under my bed.

The puppy was fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My 2 spent the night in a cattery, as we were away. It's in the country though, so I think they were more disturbed by the resident dogs than anything else!
    They're back home and completely delighted with themselves now....so obviously there were no problems. They hate loud noises though and have been hiding a bit around the house in the last week, when the odd banger went off. I've been making sure they're in early every evening and they stay in all night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It was pretty quiet - although he got very excited with the trick or treaters and spent ages wagging out the window at the kids running riot.

He got a kong stuffed with our dinner and was chuffed, then spent the rest of the evening panned out in front of the fire.

all in all a lovely halloween.

(was also me and my OH ten year meeting anniversary and our 23 day wedding anniversary. :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I think i was more worried than our pup, only a few bangers went off and he didn't seem to notice at all. The same pup who was chasing leaves the night before only to run away from a plastic bag blowing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No bother with our two, despite the asshole three doors down letting off a series of very loud fireworks for about 10mins. :rolleyes:

Think they were more excited about seeing their "mummy" who I'd picked up at the airport.

The stray didn't show her face at the back door all evening and we were a bit worried about her but she was at the back door this morning demanding her breakfast without a care in the world. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Cat stayed in so that was grand, I didn't have to worry about her.

3 dogs didn't bat an eye lid, don't think the 2 smaller ones could her the bangers over my Rotties snoring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

It was quieter here this year than it was last year. My 2 Akitas didn't stir at all. Lola my Cav let out the odd bark at any especially loud fireworks but that was it thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 winchesterj54

always nice to see someone cares for the animals
    my puppy dog was great not scared at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

My two aren't bothered by fireworks/bangers but I was more than a bit upset when we were walking in Bushy Park on Sunday afternoon and had a firework fly out of the bushes, horizontally about a foot in the air, just ahead of Dougal. I don't think it was on purpose, just carelessness, but I was pretty anxious to get home after that.:mad:

Advertisement