Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did everyone do over Halloween?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 winchesterj54

well i cant stand idiots who throw fireworks
    some drunken bums threw one at our door last night
    it scared my brothers dog to death
    but my dog pearl doesn't really mind loud bangs outside

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

One barking her head off, the other one hiding under a duvet all night.

Just glad it's over for another year!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lucylu19

I've 2 dogs and one it didn't bother in the slightest.
    But my other one is terrible at Halloween.. just barking contantly- peeing everywhere and pacing up and down. At that's after giving him calming tablets for about 2 weeks!!!
    This is his 3rd Halloween and I asked the Vet for a sedative just in case the calming tablets wouldn't wokr but the vet assistant wouldn't give it too me!! Demanding it next year.. it was so stressful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

My Kerry Blue shivered like a leaf and tried to get onto my lap for comfort - trust me, a 23kg dog is NOT a lapdog!

He's still a bit clingy, but I'm sure that'll pass

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

lucylu19 wrote: »
    I asked the Vet for a sedative just in case the calming tablets wouldn't wokr but the vet assistant wouldn't give it too me!! Demanding it next year.. it was so stressful!!

Hi Lucylu - I just wanted to share my experience with doggy xanax with you. My dog hates the car - he shakes with fear and makes himself sick. So I went to the vet and they gave me xanax for him.

It was horrific. He turned into a different dog. He lay there with his eyes bouncing around wildly. Attacked a dog whom he usually loves to play with. Growled at people he didn't know if they approached him. All in all it seems he felt very very vulnerable and I believe it stressed him even more. I felt so guilty I cried myself to sleep that night. :(

If you are going to use something like that I'd recommend asking your vet about trying it first on an evening nothing is going on. That way you can judge without any extra stress of bangers etc. Just in case your dog reacts the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I saw the advance of Bulger the deaf white cat over the weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

We also live near a Hotel who let off fireworks at weddings Grrrrr (Not so much now) We can see them from the back garden. Cat tends to sit watching them with us. She was in bed all evening. Think she was more put out by the doorbell ringing all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

:pthis year we came up with the grand idea of just going out to the front gate when the kids rang the bell. that way the dogs could come out if they wanted to see the costumes or stay cozy on the couch. i'm so glad we have this bloody fancy electric front gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Our rescue hound was fine until some little scumbags decided to let off a load of bangers in the field behind our estate. She literaly howled like someone'd stepped on her, ran around downstairs, ran upstairs, hid inside the bottom part of my office desk, decided that wasn't safe enough, and ran into the bedroom under the bed and stayed there shaking. Took me a good 10 minutes to coax her out and she spent the rest of the night on my lap still kinda shook.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whispered wrote: »
    Hi Lucylu - I just wanted to share my experience with doggy xanax with you. My dog hates the car - he shakes with fear and makes himself sick. So I went to the vet and they gave me xanax for him.

It was horrific. He turned into a different dog. He lay there with his eyes bouncing around wildly. Attacked a dog whom he usually loves to play with. Growled at people he didn't know if they approached him. All in all it seems he felt very very vulnerable and I believe it stressed him even more. I felt so guilty I cried myself to sleep that night. :(

If you are going to use something like that I'd recommend asking your vet about trying it first on an evening nothing is going on. That way you can judge without any extra stress of bangers etc. Just in case your dog reacts the same.

Great advice. Re testing any meds out first.

We had huge problems getting any help from a vet re our thunder phobic collie and then we were given ACP. Thanks to boards ie we knew better than to use it.

We finally, with much good advice, got some valium. ( not for the dog I may add..) It works very well for her. Calms her without making her more terrified; ACP, and this sounds like the effect xanax had on your dog, makes them more terrified but takes away their ability to get away. So now if there is thunder etc, we give a valium and walk her to get it circulating, then feed her and she settles well.

I have noticed now that she will now seek shelter under the table; she was never able to do that before. And her terror has diminished becaus eit is not being reinforced any more.

And please, don;t feel guilty. You are trying to do the best for the wee dog after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement