Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned houses/ruins on Fota island

Options
  • 01-11-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many people even know about them, but when you drive past the long wall of Fota Island Gardens, there is a row of tumble-down houses on the other side of the road, hidden in the trees and bushes. You can spot them easily enough when you know they're there, but if you didn't know about them you would never see them, despite them being only maybe 3 or 4 meters back from the road.
    I've been going up and down this road for next to a year now, and I only ever noticed the houses 2 weeks ago when someone pointed them out to me as we drove past.

I've been wondering about their history for those past two weeks now. As I haven't had the chance yet to get a close-up look I can't even venture a guess as to their age, but they look abandoned for a good few decades.
    Does anybody know anything about those houses? Who lived there? Who built them? When and why were they abandoned? Any kind of history or story would be appreciated, as an online search so far had no results at all....

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've driven that road back and forth twice a day for 8 years now, where are they? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

from an 1837 article:
    http://www.libraryireland.com/Lewis/LewisF/47-FOATY.php/index.php

near the south-east termination of the demesne are some very neat cottages, occupied by the numerous workmen employed on the estate; and a male and female school, with residences for the master and mistress, built and wholly supported by Mr. and Mrs. Smith Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

There was a school there as well? Wow, those houses don't look anywhere near big enough.
    I had suspected that they used to be occupied by people working on the estate, thanks for confirming this. Interesting to see that they would be even pre-Victorian.

I'm not sure how "neat" they would have been, being very close to the water I would imagine they were rather damp and would occasionally get flooded...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

The bell on the arch "green gates" across the road used to ring to tell them come in for work in the mornings.Nice to see someone noticed.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I would never ever have spotted them if somebody hadn't pointed them out to me :D

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to take a closer look this week.

digme wrote: »
    The bell on the arch "green gates" across the road used to ring to tell them come in for work in the mornings.Nice to see someone noticed.

Which gates are those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm not too sure how accurate this information is but I think they were inhabited untill the 40's or 50's.

It was a friend of mine who pointed them out as well,who claimed his Uncle once lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I believe they were lodges for the farmhands of the Fota Estate. They would have been built around the same time as the wall and if you slow down driving past you'll notice a pedestrian gate in the stone wall opposite the entrance to the houses. The whole lot was owned by Fleming, don't know what plans there are for them now.

I've walked in around them and there's 9 or 10 two-storey units in there - very small....one room up and one down. Beautiful aspect out to the estuary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

HA i've been on that road a few thousand time over the last 26 years
    and only noticed them last year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Shenshen wrote: »
    I don't know how many people even know about them, but when you drive past the long wall of Fota Island Gardens, there is a row of tumble-down houses on the other side of the road, hidden in the trees and bushes. You can spot them easily enough when you know they're there, but if you didn't know about them you would never see them, despite them being only maybe 3 or 4 meters back from the road.
    I've been going up and down this road for next to a year now, and I only ever noticed the houses 2 weeks ago when someone pointed them out to me as we drove past.

I've been wondering about their history for those past two weeks now. As I haven't had the chance yet to get a close-up look I can't even venture a guess as to their age, but they look abandoned for a good few decades.
    Does anybody know anything about those houses? Who lived there? Who built them? When and why were they abandoned? Any kind of history or story would be appreciated, as an online search so far had no results at all....

Thanks in advance!

_41187379_five_body203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Delighted to get this bit of info, as I've been wondering for years also, the ruins aren't as noticeable in the summer but as the autumn leaves fall, you can see them more clearly (best landmark to find them - it's by the bend in the road, where the wall is painted yellow/black to highlight the danger of the bend). So that's why a lot of commuters would miss the ruins, too busy concentrating on the bend of the road. For years I keep telling myself to get in there with my camera, but then I wonder - "how" - as I don't know if it's bogland, where to enter from, as it wouldn't be the safest place to hop the wall, on a dangerous bend. So if any of you know how I could actually get there, how safe it is, much appreciated. Didn't notice the arch opposite, so now i'll have to look out for that. J

Judes wrote: »
    Delighted to get this bit of info, as I've been wondering for years also, the ruins aren't as noticeable in the summer but as the autumn leaves fall, you can see them more clearly (best landmark to find them - it's by the bend in the road, where the wall is painted yellow/black to highlight the danger of the bend). So that's why a lot of commuters would miss the ruins, too busy concentrating on the bend of the road. For years I keep telling myself to get in there with my camera, but then I wonder - "how" - as I don't know if it's bogland, where to enter from, as it wouldn't be the safest place to hop the wall, on a dangerous bend. So if any of you know how I could actually get there, how safe it is, much appreciated. Didn't notice the arch opposite, so now i'll have to look out for that. J

There is a cattle gate a little further on. It looks as if it would be easy enough to open, or even climb over.
    I've been thinking the same thing, but I was actually a little more worried about where to park the car, because I don't want to be walking too far on that road, it would scare me to death the way people belt down there.

Agree with you on that one - infact, I may leave it to you to try out first - if successful (i.e. you survive the experience) then I may jump that gate too. But my concern has also been where to park/how to get in there safely and live to tell the tale. That's the thing about Cobh and the Great Island - there's always something new to see/discover - of course when I say "new" I actually mean historical/old.

IMGP1473.jpg

IMGP1429.jpg

IMGP1432.jpg

IMGP1442.jpg

IMGP1454.jpg

IMGP1446.jpg

IMGP1438.jpg

Brave man Justin - but fabulous shots. Well done - dare I ask - where did you park - and how did you get in there. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

HA i've been on that road a few thousand time over the last 26 years
    and only noticed them last year :D

Two things, they are on a dangerous bend as far as the driver is concerned.

There has been bit a cut back and a die back of vegetation.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Hadn't been back here in a while.

Easiest thing to do is wait until tide is out and then hop over the ditch and walk along the shore....mostly stones.....just bring boots!

• Advertisement

No, the easiest thing to do is park right at the gate. :D

Ok, who was that in the navy Golf on Friday afternoon? :D

Advertisement