Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best HD PVR to get ?

• 01-11-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi

My brother and I are considering getting our parents a PVR for Christmas. I have the
    Humax 320GB HD which is great (I live in the UK) and would consider getting that for them as well, but, just wanted to check there isn't a better one to suit the Irish satellite/freesat/digital TV set up.

Ideally it would be great to be able to get them one which could record the Irish channels as well as the usual satellite ones? Does such a beast exist yet? Any pointers or advice gladly accepted :)

Thanks
    Del

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nothing as user friendly as a Freesat PVR exists yet for Ireland (combining UK Freesat + ROI Saorview). The Humax will work perfectly here, but no BBC iPlayer or RTE available on it.

There are some combination units out there, but they would be more for enthusiasts or come with some limitations (e.g. no 7 day guide for satellite). Unless of course your parents are handy with Linux!

Well there is one other unit: Sky+ HD. But that of course involves a monthly subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭craigmcc

A Sky Sales Rep told me today you can actually buy Sky Boxes from them for €350euro once off fee to use as PVR's without a sub or paying the €15 monthly fee! You can then use the box to watch all the Freeview Channels and record them also!

First I have ever heard of this.

Lies. No Sky box will record without an active subscription. The €15/month charge is for HD only. Recording is available with just your normal subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Nothing as user friendly as a Freesat PVR exists yet for Ireland (combining UK Freesat + ROI Saorview). The Humax will work perfectly here, but no BBC iPlayer or RTE available on it.

Would the iplayer not work with a VNC? I'm sure it would.

A VNC??

Do you mean a UK proxy server?

• Advertisement
Advertisement