Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Satellite

• 01-11-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a satellite and receiver installed to pick up German TV channels. As far as I know its Astra 1. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this or recommend anyone who carries out the installations and give me a price. I'm in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

You basically need a dish pointing at the Astra satellite at 19.2. An 80 cm dish is preferable and a reciever. Plenty of people who post here do installations. Im sure they will be along shortly. Ill give you a couple:
    http://www.satworld.ie/, http://www.satellite.ie/ are two good examples.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

RTT wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a satellite and receiver installed to pick up German TV channels. As far as I know its Astra 1. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this or recommend anyone who carries out the installations and give me a price.
    Thanks in advance.

What Town or county do you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭RTT

Sorry I'm in Blanchardstown, Dublin.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Sorry I'm in Blanchardstown, Dublin.

Try Any of these places

www.satellite.ie
    www.freesat.ie
    www.satworld.ie

Will look them up, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

they are starting to go to HD so I suggest a HD receiver. ARTE , ARD and a few others are already HD on 19.2. The difference is amazing. Ribbery is even more ugly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

human 19 wrote: »
    they are starting to go to HD so I suggest a HD receiver. ARTE , ARD and a few others are already HD on 19.2. The difference is amazing. Ribbery is even more ugly!

http://www.sport1.de/dynamic/tv-programm/20101130.html

west ham v man utd carling cup quarter final live on sport1 on 30th Nov 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://www.sport1.de/dynamic/tv-programm/20101130.html

west ham v man utd carling cup quarter final live on sport1 on 30th Nov 2010
    is sport1+ also available FTA?
    They are going to broadcast various fa cup and carling cup games when the main sport1 channel is focusing on handball or tiddlywinks or other such crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

is sport1+ also available FTA?
    They are going to broadcast various fa cup and carling cup games when the main sport1 channel is focusing on handball or tiddlywinks or other such crap.

No it is not FTA. Their website only mentions cable. Dont know if it is even available on satellite. They will also be showing a lot of NFL which I would loved to have seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

DSF was quality

remember un-interrupted coverage of dan goslings goal...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a satellite and receiver installed to pick up German TV channels. As far as I know its Astra 1. Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this or recommend anyone who carries out the installations and give me a price. I'm in Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.
    Thanks in advance.

there is a good deal in B&Q u get full kit whit HD receiver and i think its about 120 euro as far as i know,u know ersteHD and zdfHD are fta and they will stay like that also free rtl,rtl2,sat1,pro7 ,eurosport,euronews in german and more i can help u no problem .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

I'm looking to install a satellite dish to receive German channels. I already have Sky, am looking to do something like change to an 80cms dish, and add an extra LNB to get the German channels.

HD would be a nice-to-have extra. Was wondering if anyone had any firm recommendations for an HD receiver, to receive German channels?

There seem to be good offers out there, but a lot of misleading claims, or just bad/flaky kit.

For example, this one claims to be HD, but a review suggests that it is upscaled SD instead:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4258890/art/sigmatek/dvbr-520-hd-digital-tv-re.html

Lidl, B&Q etc. have reasonable priced receivers also, but the reviews I'm reading are not great.

Any tips appreciated. Or would I be better off asking a sat installer to supply a receiver?

Thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need Astra HD+ once off or annual Subscription really for HD from Germany.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD%2B

* kabel eins
    * ProSieben
    * RTL Television
    * RTL 2
    * Sat.1
    * SIXX
    * SPORT1
    * Vox
    Viewers buying an HD+ certified receiver also receive an HD+ smart card valid for 12 months' viewing of the HD+ package. At the end of the free viewing period, the validity of the card can be extended for a further year on payment of €50, either online or by phone from HD+, or in stores.

The decision to charge for access to the HD+ package, while promoting it as free TV, was met with some criticism within Germany. However, Ferdinand Kayser, the president and CEO of SES Astra has denied that HD+ is pay-TV. "HD+ is free TV," he said in September 2009 at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin and compared the commercial arrangements to cable TV, in which access to free channels costs money. He said that the annual cost of HD+ is a service fee "which is related to the reception of the offer and not to specific content, parts or packages of the offer".
    The HD+ channels are encrypted using Nagravision encryption, and reception and decryption is only possible with certain combinations of receiver and conditional access module (CAM).

The primary route to HD+ reception is with the receivers designed especially for HD+. As of February 2010 HD+ reports that there are eight models of HD+ receiver available, ranging from simple single tuner units to twin-tuner, recording receivers with Internet access.[5] HD+ certified receivers carry the HD+ logo on the packaging and/or the receiver’s front panel.

Existing receivers and TVs with integrated satellite tuners that are capable of tuning to the DVB-S2/MPEG4 HD+ signal can also be used provided they are equipped with a CI+ or CI 2.0 common interface socket (including content protection to allow the blocking of recording broadcast content) for a plug-in Nagravision HD+ CAM which will be available in Spring 2010 for a price of about €100, including the HD+ smart card.[6]

Some DVB-S2 receivers with a standard CI (not CI+) common interface socket can also be fitted with a (different) HD+ CAM and receive HD+ channels when new firmware is downloaded to the receiver to imitate the CI+ content protection. CI CAMs (with the HD+ smart card) are expected to be available from stores in the Summer of 2010 for €100.

So make sure what you want is available FTA or else you can legitmately get the viewing card and CAM.

There are no suitable receivers for Satellite in Aldi, Lidl, Homebase or B&Q for what you want. Not likely to be either.

If you in south East 80cm will do. As move to Mid West 90/95cm and in someparts of far South west/North West maybe 110cm to 1.2m.

See pic here of 28E, 19E, 13E 9E on 90/95cm Triax dish
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/satellite-distribution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Thanks Watty, very useful post.
    watty wrote: »
    There are no suitable receivers for Satellite in Aldi, Lidl, Homebase or B&Q for what you want. Not likely to be either.

Yep that's what I thought...

I'v nothing to do with B&Q or any other lidl,aldi...its just as a starter kit HD, i know u can get a card HD+in it but as i said u can get zdfHD ersteHD those are the national tv channels in germany and are transmited fta.

Thanks for that Watty, does that mean you can still watch them in SD FTA? Any idea on how much a subscription would cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Those channels are still available in SD FTA. ARD, ZDF & ARTE are available in HD FTA.

Thanks Craoltoir. So I'm guessing its not really worth my while buying a hd receiver here in Ireland at the moment as I would need one with a HD+ card reader.
    I'm actually in Germany for a few days over the holidays so I might try picking up a HD+ receiver there and I read on Watty's link that you get the card free with the HD+ receiver when you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Used to have a Lidl dish in my old house but I havent been able to get it working for the past two years! If I get the same deal again in the new place can I still get teh same channels? It was a flat fee of 100 euro for the dish but I never needed any viewing cards, has this changed in the past couple of years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

now,
    just found out today that the german networks are really going to be pushing a new version of the "red button" feature over the next year.
    Not sure which sat boxes support it, but having it might be worth bearing in mind.

The system is called hbb (Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Broadcast_Broadband_TV

Its a mix of info text and content supplied by the broadcaster over the internet.

The german main broadcaster ARD already has it, if I read it correctly.
    Sat 1 is also pushing it with their europa cup/ champions league coverage.

heres the ARD info page (complete with a UK sky+ remote for some shaggin reason, pr!cks in German sky dont offer a proper sky+ box, but i digress....)
    http://www.ard-digital.de/Empfang--Technik/HbbTV/HbbTV

ARD are offering all back catalogue content via this system in future.
    It may be blocked by proxy outside germany, but stuff like that can be worked around ;)

Used to have a Lidl dish in my old house but I havent been able to get it working for the past two years! If I get the same deal again in the new place can I still get teh same channels? It was a flat fee of 100 euro for the dish but I never needed any viewing cards, has this changed in the past couple of years?
    depends what channels u want to watch?

Advertisement