Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L'Étape du Tour

• 01-11-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Bonjour - Has anyone done L'Étape du Tour? - A few of us were thinking about doing it next year. What kind of fitness/training levels are required to complete it without needing an air ambulance. Is it much harder than the Wicklow 200.
    Thanks in Advance - :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I did it shortly after I started cycling back in 2006. Account on this thread. It's written awfully, but it will give you an idea.

I will go back one of these days. Would be interesting to see just how badly the current me would crush the newbie back in that post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948014&highlight=quigs+etape

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

Thanks Quigs - very enjoyable and interesting post, I think I underestimated the task so might need alot more hill work before I pull the trigger. however, well done on finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cpaul

Does anyone know if there are any Irish tour operators that offer packages for this? Plenty of UK ones I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

Check these guys out, www.onyourbike.ie I've gone for an entry only package from them. If you have a look at the official E'tape du tour website there is a list of "official partners" on it. That's were I got the name above from. I think there a couple of Irish companies listed on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

I used Trail Seekers in 2009. Less pampering but much more affordable than On Your Bike. Sean O'Leary is the guy that runs it. He also organises a 3-day training weekend around Easter in Kenmare each year to get a look at the standard of people travelling in July which is great from both a social and preparation perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cpaul

Thanks for the info guys. The packages with Onyourbike look to be very expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

They sure are. Sean O'Leary is around half the price. I have no affiliation with Trail Seekers btw.

A second thumbs up for Sean O'Leary and trail seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    A second thumbs up for Sean O'Leary and trail seekers.

Sure you even make an apperance on the site in some team gear

etape%20group%2006.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Jesus.

• Advertisement

Good Lord. Judging by the kit and the heads in that, that would have been the training weekend in Kenmare in 06, the weekend that convinced me to join a club. I must have been cycling a few months at that stage. Sean is the one in the 80s-tastic jersey and the "steel is real" bike. Can't miss himm in those Jerseys and he has a lot of the. A seriously good rider in his day and still going strong. You'd never be bored when you are away on the road with him either, thats for sure, anyone who has done the etape with them will know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

niceonetom wrote: »
    Jesus.
    Where?

Heh Quigs, didn't know you were a closet Lance fan?

sy wrote: »
    Where?

Heh Quigs, didn't know you were a closet Lance fan?

More like a cheap Ebay ten euro knockoff jersey fan. I filled that shirt out a lot better back then, even so the arms were still flapping around, thats the trouble with those ebay shirts.

Better not let Raam see the fashion on display in this picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

There's a list of tour operators here
    Entry only are going on sale on Tuesday via the site above. Just checked Irish ferries, €800 for a car plus 2 berth cabin for a 10 day trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just in case anyone forgets, the entry is open at 12h (frenchie time obviously) today on the official site. Not sure how many places are left, entry was available to these people already...
    Early Registration (limited space):

- For subscribers Cycling Magazine November 10
    - For cardholders Be Collector (Sport 2000 - Mondovélo) November 15
    I think the second one is for people who've done it before?

Just saw this on the registration page
    If you never take part in the Etape du Tour Mondovélo, you must prove rankings on other cyclosportives (long and hilly route only). To find your rankings, please consult the history of cyclosportives on Bike 101 ...

Never heard about them looking for this before?

Just signed up there for the ACTE1 (Modane>Alpe d'Huez), took a bloody age. The site is in tatters and my french translation wasn't helping. I saw on bikeradar some people signed up and got their confirmation email immediately, I still haven't got one but did pay so hopefully thats enough and I'll get the email soon, fingers crossed.

Better get training!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Signed up at 11 as well, have the confirmation mail and the credit card confirmation (with Francs total)
    Didn't put anything for the rankings so hopefully will be accepted

Signed up at 11 as well, have the confirmation mail and the credit card confirmation (with Francs total)
    Didn't put anything for the rankings so hopefully will be accepted

Got the mail too, it was in my gmail spam folder.
    I just put my times & distance in for the ring of kerry. The etape hibernia wouldn't fit.

Great news about the doctors cert. Only have to give it in when collecting your race number.

Advertisement