Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you fail the leaving

• 01-11-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭

I had to get my daughter some leaving cert past papers...anyway one combined the higher and lower papers...... i was flicking through the book and the level that lower paper was set at!!!!

Has the leaving cert got easier or whats going on!:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe the peeps in Leaving Cert forum will understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

biko wrote: »
    Maybe the peeps in Leaving Cert forum will understand.

Gee, thanks. :P

Anyway, yes. It is possible to fail the Leaving. Some students are just not academically inclined, and since the LC is really just a glorified memory test it won't reflect their actual abilities. Of course, you also have the few out there who don't give a shít and make no effort to pass, hence ending up failing.

What subject was it OP, out of curiosity? Some subjects have bigger differences between Higher and Ordinary Levels than others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

The Leaving Cert. has got easier. However, it's easy for us to look at the papers with no pressure and say, "This is easy. I could do it with my eyes shut." It's different when you're young, stressed out, and believe that your entire future happiness depends on these exams. (If any LC'ers read this, I can tell you that's definitely not the case!)

At least it hasn't got as bad as the A-Levels. The percentage of A1s handed out on higher level papers is still quite low (less than 5% for English, I think, although this may be wrong). By comparison, more than 25% of A-level entries were awarded an A grade in the UK.

They'll soon be handing out A's for students who successfully manage to write their own name on the front of the English paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am not getting at anyone .... seriously has it got easier ...if its more that 20 years since you did your leaving cert ...try and get a look at the present leaving cert papers and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Oh this has been moved from After Hours to the Leaving Cert Forum.

Apologies for all us old folks crashing your forum. Best of luck in June! Work hard now, it will pay off, and don't stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Of course you can but the ambition is that no one will.
    to do this you can either

Improve the education system and teaching until people reach the required grade.

OR

Make the exams easier.....

Of course no one would for one second consider the latter. Although I have noticed that the Higher leaving cert maths appear to be easier or that could be that I'm now just better.

The one thing I can say is that since they allowed calculators so early not that peoples ability to mental arithmetic is a disgrace.

Walk into a shop and the bill is €13.23. Give them a €20 note and 2 x2 euro coins to see the panic in their faces......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It was English ...a few weeks ago i looked at the lower maths paper and i was able to do some of the question ...very pleased with myself being able to do that :D but then again i like maths

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Technically, there is no such thing as 'failing the Leaving', as there was in the old days, when, for example, if you failed Irish you were deemed to have 'failed' the entire examination, regardless of your other grades.

You can fail individual subjects of course and a 'Leaving Cert. standard' is generally taken as 5 passes at any level.

Has it got easier? Well, it's certainly different these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

spurious wrote: »
    Technically, there is no such thing as 'failing the Leaving', as there was in the old days, when, for example, if you failed Irish you were deemed to have 'failed' the entire examination, regardless of your other grades.

You can fail individual subjects of course and a 'Leaving Cert. standard' is generally taken as 5 passes at any level.

Has it got easier? Well, it's certainly different these days.

Well it can be taken for granted that you fail the entire thing if you fail Irish English and maths as you generally need a pass in them to gain access to college. And most people who do the leaving intend on going on to college.

It really isn't as hard as its all worked up to be, I'm doing it for the second time round and am a lot more relaxed about it. Although I am doing twice the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

mariaalice wrote: »
    It was English ...a few weeks ago i looked at the lower maths paper and i was able to do some of the question ...very pleased with myself being able to do that :D but then again i like maths

You can't even say how easy an English paper was, sure you might have been able to answer the comprehension questions but its technique and writing style, along with content, that is marked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

They'll soon be handing out A's for students who successfully manage to write their own name on the front of the English paper.
    I doubt it, since it's the exam number they want. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

well OP might not have meant this but I do. for example:

Say for example if you fail X subject ? Does the rest of your Lc Become invalid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    well OP might not have meant this but I do. for example:

Say for example if you fail X subject ? Does the rest of your Lc Become invalid ?

No. If you fail certain subjects you won't have met the college requirements from certain colleges, but you haven't failed the whole leaving cert. Say if you fail Maths but had the points for your course, you can go back and just repeat maths, and all the subjects you did before are still valid.

Advertisement