Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best indian in Cork City

Options
  • 01-11-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭

I know there is meant to be a very good one in Douglas but i want to just stick to City Centre. Douglas is a bit out of the way for me. I'm craving Indian right now. The nicest i've ever been to was Little India, which was on Washington Street but is closed now - which i can't fathom cos it was the nicest indian EVER!

Which is the best out of the 3 (am i right?) that we have in the city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I love the Eastern Tandoori one across from the Opera House :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bombay Palace, hands down, every other place in the city is just crap. That's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dermighty wrote: »
    Bombay Palace, hands down, every other place in the city is just crap. That's my opinion.

Yes i have to say i have been to both of the restaurants mentioned and i preferred Bombay Palace - not that Eastern Tandoori wasn't nice it's just they didn't give you very much and i can't even remember what i had at the time but i wasn't blown away by it. But then was thinking where should i go again cos the Bombay Palace place was VERY quiet when we went which i thought was a bit strange but the food was lovely alright. I think maybe Bombay Palace so....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Bombay Palace is very good alright.

The Indian palace one street over used to be very nice also, but has gone to the dogs.

The Raj Gaylord in Kerrypike is excellent also, but very pricey, even by Indian prices.

I hear great things about the one in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Defintely the guy who fixed my computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Raj Gaylord and the place in Fermoy, thats run by the same family as the Shere Khan in Rusholme, south Manchester aka 'Little Bangladesh'. No other restaurant in Munster comes close to these two :)

Incidently, 95% of 'Indians' in UK & Ireland are actually Bangladeshi.....but obviously Indian cuisine is an easier 'sell' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Max001 wrote: »
    Incidently, 95% of 'Indians' in UK & Ireland are actually Bangladeshi.....but obviously Indian cuisine is an easier 'sell' ;)
    And it's still almost impossible to find decent West Bengali or Bengali food!

dapto1 wrote: »
    And it's still almost impossible to find decent West Bengali or Bengali food!

I sooooo know what you mean! I'm in permanent withdrawl,here in the land of meat 'n' two veg! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Dermighty wrote: »

Whatever I got in the Bombay Palace the one time I went there was incredibly bad so I never returned.

The place itself is shabby at best too.

That's just my opinion too though!

Raj is the only man, in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Bombay Palace - been going there for years, Eastern Tandoori second

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Max001 wrote: »

Pakistani I thought. meh one way or other as long as the food is good.

I think the Raj can be a bit over rated. Its lovely and all, but compared to an English curry house its only slightly better than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Which place in Douglas are you talking about?

JohnK wrote: »
    Which place in Douglas are you talking about?

It's called Lal Quila - it's meant to be excellent. Heard a few great reports about it:)

http://www.lalquila.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Ah ok, I ate in there a few years back and honestly didnt think much of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

i'd have to say lal quila is a good place to eat. the quality of food is far better than all the other indians around.

Went to Eastern Tandoori once and the food was overpriced and crap. the waiters were a bit creepy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

JohnK wrote: »
    Ah ok, I ate in there a few years back and honestly didnt think much of the place.

Ditto.
    It may have got better though?

What puts me off though is that it is owned by the same gang as The Spice Of india in Bishopstown, which IMO is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Bombay Palace on cook st is the only one worth mentioning in my opinion. First thing I am going to do when I get back from Belgium is fill my tummy with their yummy food....drool!!!

Thanks guys think I'll head to Bombay Palace!! Mmm can't wait now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bombay Palace is lovely alright.

Saffron in Glanmire is a hidden gem. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Raj in Kerry Pike

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    Raj in Kerry Pike

Run by the guys that ran Delhi Palace, Washington Street, before it closed down years ago. The manager/owner of the Raj is the brother of the guy that owns Bombay Palace, so the fact that they own the two best indians in Cork is no coincidence :)

I have to say that the Raj is nice, but is really, really expensive, with some main courses costing €6 more than Bombay Palace charges, for a negligible increase in quality.

That's why Bombay is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Speaking of Lal Quila - best value for lunch around - €11.99 for 3 courses and food is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

OMother India Deli takeaway on main street in Carrigtwohill is fantastic... he cooks everything from the start and and no pre-cooked ingredients used. order and wait about 20 mins for the food, but it is absolutely beautiful... mmmmh getting hungry again thinking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm a Londoner, so appreciate a decent ruby!

But I have to say, since moving here my experiences of Indian restaurants in Cork have been AWFUL:eek:!!

The Indian by the Opera House? That's got to be the worst one I've ever been in. We had some ruby-loving friends over from London and the restaurant was recommended to us, so off we went.

There was NO difference between the different curries ordered. I asked for a Dhansak, and I found fruit cocktail in mine FFS! My friend ordered a Chicken Tikka Masala which is supposed to be mild right? Wrong! It was so hot he couldn't eat it. When I tasted it, all I got was the overwhelming taste of curry powder. There was no difference in the curries ordered except mine had fruit cocktail added and they had the cheek to call it a Dhansak! Only spicy poppodoms were on offer. We couldn't get any plain, and those served to us were disgusting. Tasted very stale...

The service was slow considering we were there midweek, and the bill exorbitant. It came to E150 for four with just the main courses, one cider and three Diet Cokes! They could never get away with seving such crap food in London. They'd be out of business very quickly!

Needless to say we didn't go back. Our experience was not unique, as some work colleagues came over to Cork on business and ate in there. It wasn't a good time for them either!

There was also an Indian takeaway in Mayfield I decided to try against my better judgement. That too was a disappointment.

Another restaurant in Tower has been recommended to me, but to tell the truth I've been so put off (traumatised? LOL) by my experiences here, I wait until I go home to get a decent ruby.:pac:

Now - if there's a DECENT Indian restaurant here, then I'd love to hear about it. Please - I'm asking nicely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

gimmick wrote: »
    Pakistani I thought. meh one way or other as long as the food is good.

I think the Raj can be a bit over rated. Its lovely and all, but compared to an English curry house its only slightly better than average.

Max001 is correct. Most of the chefs in Indian restaurants at home are imported from Bangladesh. (Formerly known as East Pakistan, so you're half right! :D)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Rather like the Spice of India - Bishopstown.

Now - if there's a DECENT Indian restaurant here, then I'd love to hear about it. Please - I'm asking nicely!!

My brother had some business clients over form England and brought them to Bombay Palace and they thought it was excellent. I'm not sure how good it is compared to Indian in the UK but I think it's excellent and easily the best in Cork (even if that isn't saying much).

I did have indian in London once in La Porte Des Indes and I found it to be very underwhelming, though I was only there once and maybe I ordered the wrong dish.

leahyl wrote: »
    It's called Lal Quila - it's meant to be excellent. Heard a few great reports about it:)

http://www.lalquila.ie/

Tried it. Over priced dog food. If you can't find the Raj, head to Fermoy :) That said, if Bombay Palace is run by the Raj crowd, I may have to try it and recommendations much appreciated :D

Max001 is correct. Most of the chefs in Indian restaurants at home are imported from Bangladesh. (Formerly known as East Pakistan, so you're half right! :D)

Oh well.....half right is an improvement! ;)

• Advertisement

I'm a Londoner, so appreciate a decent ruby!

But I have to say, since moving here my experiences of Indian restaurants in Cork have been AWFUL:eek:!!

The Indian by the Opera House? That's got to be the worst one I've ever been in. We had some ruby-loving friends over from London and the restaurant was recommended to us, so off we went.

There was NO difference between the different curries ordered. I asked for a Dhansak, and I found fruit cocktail in mine FFS! My friend ordered a Chicken Tikka Masala which is supposed to be mild right? Wrong! It was so hot he couldn't eat it. When I tasted it, all I got was the overwhelming taste of curry powder. There was no difference in the curries ordered except mine had fruit cocktail added and they had the cheek to call it a Dhansak! Only spicy poppodoms were on offer. We couldn't get any plain, and those served to us were disgusting. Tasted very stale...

The service was slow considering we were there midweek, and the bill exorbitant. It came to E150 for four with just the main courses, one cider and three Diet Cokes! They could never get away with seving such crap food in London. They'd be out of business very quickly!

Needless to say we didn't go back. Our experience was not unique, as some work colleagues came over to Cork on business and ate in there. It wasn't a good time for them either!

There was also an Indian takeaway in Mayfield I decided to try against my better judgement. That too was a disappointment.

Another restaurant in Tower has been recommended to me, but to tell the truth I've been so put off (traumatised? LOL) by my experiences here, I wait until I go home to get a decent ruby.:pac:

Yeh, I went here, shortly after I came to Cork, when some acquaintances recommended it. Corkonians who'd never experienced a proper 'ruby' I later surmised. I think Indy Spice on MacCurtain might have it beat for sheer awfulness, but not by much. I'd only send my worst enemy here and then probably feel obliged to apologise afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement