Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harney gets painted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Zzippy wrote: »
    She turned the health service into the HSE - a huge, overstaffed (with layers of management), inefficient bureaucracy, more interested in self-preservation, PR and spin than in treatment of sick people. She is now able to deflect all criticism and awkward questions to the HSE and avoid any and all political accountability for the mess our health "service" is in.
    Very good post in fairness Zzippy - and a refreshing change from the usual thought-free "She's just a fat fucking bitch" droning.

My understanding though is that the old health board system was even more over-staffed than the HSE? There were 11 health boards - we did not need 11 health boards - so the HSE was a streamlining of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd question the nobility behind the act too. If that woman has experienced the illness/death of a loved one, it would be understandable for her rage to lead to this, but if it's just a political stunt to get Eirigí noticed... fuck 'em. And I'm not at all a member of the "Let's bash anything remotely republican, even if it's non violent" bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

CtrlSource wrote: »
    And?

[edit: by the way "violent criminal" is your opinion]

I wasn't being serious....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Dudess wrote: »
    Retarded to do it, retarded to give it the thumbs up, even if people's anger is more than understandable. Resorting to thuggery just makes martyrs out of the government.

I think it's more pathetic to be one of the tutting, "oh-so-clever" brigade who believe standing out in the cold with a placard, being ignored by our public representatives, is the only legitimate form of protest.

The "red paint incident" is a stunt for sure, but it's a well-timed expression of the anger the public is feeling right now.
    It's such sheep-like, drone-like bandwagon-jumping to bash her as health minister.

Drone-like, my ar$e. She was elected to serve the public and to fix the health service. She has failed. Consistently. Who do you suggest we protest to??? As other posters have pointed out, you obviously have never been affected by the deplorable state of our so-called "health service".

What would you guys do differently, with a lack of funds, lack of resources, the service already in sh1t, others to answer to?

More apologist nonsense. It's not our job to manage/fix the health service. That's what we've paid Harney for, for the last 10 years!!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theplace

heavyballs wrote: »
    are u sure it was paint? maybe she's in her flowers and she sprung a leak,she normally uses her duvet as a pad,

Ah,Stop it! What a sick thought as I am tucking into a bacon Sandwich with Ketchup.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Very good post in fairness Zzippy - and a refreshing change from the usual thought-free "She's just a fat fucking bitch" droning.

My understanding though is that the old health board system was even more over-staffed than the HSE? There were 11 health boards - we did not need 11 health boards - so the HSE was a streamlining of this?

That was the Theory. Didn't work like that when the politicians and Unions got involved.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I'd question the nobility behind the act too. If that woman has experienced the illness/death of a loved one, it would be understandable for her rage to lead to this, but if it's just a political stunt to get Eirigí noticed... fuck 'em. And I'm not at all a member of the "Let's bash anything remotely republican, even if it's non violent" bandwagon.
    Well that's fair enough. Its just the "what? Republicans done this? [Insert X-Rated rant about drug dealing provo baby eaters here]" people that make me sigh and question the value of public opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think it's more pathetic to be one of the tutting, "oh-so-clever" brigade who believe standing out in the cold with a placard, being ignored by our public representatives, is the only legitimate form of protest.

The "red paint incident" is a stunt for sure, but it's a well-timed expression of the anger the public is feeling right now.

Drone-like, my ar$e. She was elected to serve the public and to fix the health service. She has failed. Consistently. Who do you suggest we protest to??? As other posters have pointed out, you obviously have never been affected by the deplorable state of our so-called "health service".

More apologist nonsense. It's not our job to manage/fix the health service. That's what we've paid Harney for, for the last 10 years!!!!! :mad:

well said, paticularly about people with placards. every day they do the same shouting outside the dail routine and what happens nothing the same injustices occour again and again the rich are treated well and the poor are shown no respect. you cant do the same thing and expect different results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

mikom wrote: »

I forgot this was AH :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

nice try but pigs blood would have been better

or a large hatchet in the forehead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Protestor pelts Harney with red paint | BreakingNews.ie

“Today Mary Harney had the cheek to organise a publicity stunt at Cherry Orchard Hospital, where she was turning the sod for a long overdue mental health unit. This is the same hospital which has been starved of funding for years, where an entire ward for Alzheimer’s and dementia sufferers was closed down during the summer.”

Hard to disagree on that point.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

If she hadn't gone through with it, she would have been giving in to the violant tactics that were used.

She did the right thing - just smile and keep going.

Whilst I agree that you shouldn't give in to violence I disagree with the smile and keep going - she could AND SHOULD have taken the time to clean herself or change if necessary. Whilst it wouldn't have stopped the releasing of the pics with blood on her, to pick up the shovel and turn the sod covered in blood was poor judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dear Diary,

Today, I was decorated for my services to the country.

Mary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I know people who've been asking for months when we'd start to see politicians here being egged etc.

I wouldn't personally do it or necessarily condone it (maybe...) but I'm just surprised it's not happened sooner or isn't happening more often.

P.S. mental health services in some parts of this country are an absolute shambles. I have a chronically ill sibling and the thought of him going back to hospital gives me shivers. It's actually a disincentive to proper care because people are so determined to stay out of hospital they 'lie' to their doctors about how they are so that they won't be readmitted. I know people do this already, no one likes to go to a psych unit in a hospital, but the state of some units is not helping. Where my brother was sent was absolutely dilapidated. He only told me after he came out that they kept the lights on all night and people were allowed to keep loud music playing throughout the night. That's like f-cking Guantanamo bay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just think... if some of the paint landed in her hair, we'd be paying another €400 for a hair do!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Biggins wrote: »
    Jut think... if some of the paint landed in her hair, we'd be paying another €400 for a hair do!
    Think she used to much hair dye this time! Listening to jo duffy now and some auld one calls the protester un ladylike :mad:,as for jo duffy he should be next as all he is doing is slamming this protester ,more of us need to take this protesters lead and head to woodies and paint the dail red !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

I do not support FF or Harney but I think that was a stupid and childish thing to be done to her. How is chucking paint at her going to improve the situation in this country in any way? Surely that councillor could use her intelligence to think of a more proactive way of expressing her views. I know the govt. has behaved very badly in recent times but acting like a 3 year old in arts and crafts class will do nothing to solve the situation.
    I'm very disappointed that that moronic woman got released without charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

justified wrote: »
    ...I'm very disappointed that that moronic woman got released without charge.
    They probably don't want the woman in the dock in all seriousness.
    Once there, what she could say (without the fear of being sued for liable) might awaken the public to what can't be said in public.

Harney does NOT want her attacker in the dock. She would have too much too lose.

I do not support FF or Harney but I think that was a stupid and childish thing to be done to her. How is chucking paint at her going to improve the situation in this country in any way? Surely that councillor could use her intelligence to think of a more proactive way of expressing her views. I know the govt. has behaved very badly in recent times but acting like a 3 year old in arts and crafts class will do nothing to solve the situation.
    I'm very disappointed that that moronic woman got released without charge.

It doesn't help the country's situation, but it can feel good to let someone know just how frustrated you are with them. It's a very loud way to expressing that frustration to others. And it doesn't hurt much except her ego perhaps.

As a group I think Irish people have been very 'mild' toward our politicians to date, and very mild in its reaction. If this was the worst that would happen, there are many politicians in Europe who'd love to trade places with our government.

• Advertisement

LookingFor wrote: »

As a group I think Irish people have been very 'mild' toward our politicians to date, and very mild in its reaction. If this was the worst that would happen, there are many politicians in Europe who'd love to trade places with our government.

Yep, mild compared to what Berlusconi got.......... http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00947/SNN1409YY_280_947792a.jpg

LookingFor wrote: »
    It doesn't help the country's situation, but it can feel good to let someone know just how frustrated you are with them. It's a very loud way to expressing that frustration to others. And it doesn't hurt much except her ego perhaps.

Yes but, is it necessarily the right way to go about it, this woman is a councillor not some average joe, she has a reputation to maintain and I don't think this stunt is going to benefit her much except with her own ego when she gets congratulated by her Eirigi comrades. I entirely accept that people get frustrated with this government often(myself included) but the only way they will go is with an election anyway. The politicians are not stupid, they know that most people dislike them but as good as it feels placards, paint and public harasament won't change the face of the government.
    On a health note, the chances are that that paint was toxic, if it had gone into Harney's eye or mouth she could have be blinded or poisoned then it would have been far worse, for gods sake if this eejit had to throw something could it not have been an egg or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Regret to say the Shinners are showing their true colours, she is getting it driven up her butt from some woman.

On a health note, the chances are that that paint was toxic, if it had gone into Harney's eye or mouth she could have be blinded or poisoned then it would have been far worse,

Lol, listen to yourself.

for gods sake if this eejit had to throw something could it not have been an egg or something.

There is a chance she may have eaten it in flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The original plan was to go with the traditional "custard pie in the face" attack ... but then the target was taken into consideration.

Yes but, is it necessarily the right way to go about it, this woman is a councillor not some average joe, she has a reputation to maintain and I don't think this stunt is going to benefit her much except with her own ego when she gets congratulated by her Eirigi comrades. I entirely accept that people get frustrated with this government often(myself included) but the only way they will go is with an election anyway. The politicians are not stupid, they know that most people dislike them but as good as it feels placards, paint and public harasament won't change the face of the government.
    On a health note, the chances are that that paint was toxic, if it had gone into Harney's eye or mouth she could have be blinded or poisoned then it would have been far worse, for gods sake if this eejit had to throw something could it not have been an egg or something.

I agree an egg might have been just as good.

I don't know though about protest not having a value. I know it's not going to change the government (unless taken to an extreme length), but it can be a long time between elections and sometimes things get bad. This is one of those times I think, not just here but elsewhere.

I think a lot of people feel that many in our government are too comfortable, and too well looked after (by themselves). Some people would be delighted to make ministers less comfortable in whatever way they can. That might seem immature, but my somewhat less rational side can understand that feeling.

• Advertisement

Lol, listen to yourself.

There is a chance she may have eaten it in flight.

wow, mature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Regret to say the Shinners are showing their true colours, she is getting it driven up her butt from some woman.
    Wow, what a worthy comment. Do you ever say anything that is not a load of bollocks?

wow, mature!

You would prefer to get hit with a hens period perhaps.

Shells are sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

.... for gods sake if this eejit had to throw something could it not have been an egg or something.

It's all fun and games until someone throws an egg and you lose an eye... or the use of it, literally.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1106/1224258193344.html

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

Joe Duffy is on now going mad the woman who the the paint. He is backed up by old chattering class of Ireland of course claiming this is assault on Mary Harney.

Can these people not get it into their fat skulls that the irish people are sick of their opinions not being listened to by the government and this is just a symbol to get attention and it worked. Do the Joe Duffy crowd actually think that a silent sit town protest will actually do anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok first very quick and nasty effort at a photoshop of the piccie. I am sure the rest of you can do a lot better ;)

133267.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mrsmidas

heavyballs wrote: »
    are u sure it was paint? maybe she's in her flowers and she sprung a leak,she normally uses her duvet as a pad,

Sick. If I had a tin of red paint I know who I'd be throwing it at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

. Do the Joe Duffy crowd actually think that a silent sit town protest will actually do anything...

If you got enough people involved it would do a hell of a lot more than a bit of paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

gandalf wrote: »
    Ok first very quick and nasty effort at a photoshop of the piccie. I am sure the rest of you can do a lot better ;)

133267.jpg

I just googled 'mary harney paint' in google images and got this ;

http://twentymajor.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/king.jpg

Surprised there isn't a creativeireland thread on this by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Green custard was on the menu for Peter Mandelson then his attacker strolled away but as he said himself '' at least it wasn't paint '' :pac:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/4947136/Green-custard-thrown-in-face-of-Peter-Mandelson-by-environmental-protester.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Maybe.

Telling the government we want them gone hasn't worked either though. Maybe they need a more direct approach...
    You mean like voting?

You're right, forget that, let's just presume to speak for "the people" and go assaulting the politicians (who were voted in by "the people") to make some kind of point/publicity stunt for a fringe party.

Or we could take responsibility for ourselves and vote smarter and protest en masse if need be. A single act of assault solves nothing tbh (although it has caused some quality jokes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This kind of thing disturbs me. Don't get me wrong, I have no time for Harney and I would agree with Zzippy's post earlier on, but throwing substances on people just doesn't sit right with me. I think Mary will be counting her lucky stars tonight that it was just paint that was thrown on her. It's a bad precedent to start, the last thing we need is a bunch of nutjobs thinking it's okay to do this sort of thing, especially if those nutjobs have a desire to use something a lot more damaging than paint.

zynaps wrote: »
    You mean like voting?

You mean like By-elections?
    The ones the government are stalling on.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    This kind of thing disturbs me. Don't get me wrong, I have no time for Harney and I would agree with Zzippy's post earlier on, but throwing substances on people just doesn't right with me. I think Mary will be counting her lucky stars tonight that it was just paint that was thrown on her. It's a bad precedent to start, the last thing we need is a bunch of nutjobs thinking it's okay to do this sort of thing, especially if those nutjobs have a desire to use something a lot more damaging than paint.

I wish it had actually been a nutjob or even just an average disgruntled Josephine Soap. This however was a clear PR stunt. Still, if it had to happen to someone ......

She was elected to serve the public and to fix the health service. She has failed. Consistently. Who do you suggest we protest to??? As other posters have pointed out, you obviously have never been affected by the deplorable state of our so-called "health service".
    But it is our job. That we've paid Harney for it and she has failed "consistently" just shows what a poor choice we made in electing her.

You don't hire a donkey to do your tax returns and then blame the donkey for getting the sums wrong - you blame yourself for hiring a donkey in the first place! Now we have a Dáil full of donkeys, what do you expect but trouble? :P

• Advertisement

You mean like By-elections?
    The ones the government are stalling on.
    When was the protest over that? I mean, obviously a large protest to get them underway ASAP would be much more productive than throwing red paint at someone. Wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

So one of the leading members of Eirigi spent her day throwing paint at another human being....
    Oh please please please let me vote for her at the next general election!

NOT! I'd rather vote for Harney...
    And in fact just to Pee them shower off I'm voting Fianna Fail back in...
    Oh and Ahern for president! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

My favourite quote from this silly bint

“My father was outside the British Embassy in Dublin when it was burnt in 1972 and he went on the protests during the Hunger Strike in 1981 -- the year I was born. My mother was busy raising six children -- my three sisters, two brothers and myself -- but there was always talk in the house about what was going on. Even my mother would agree with the IRA strategy.”
    (An Phoblacht, July, 2007)

To add insult to injury she looks like a squashed potato. Yuch! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭jane wani

what kind of fool is harney...she goeas ahead and gets the photo of her taken ...looking like a psyhco who ahs just stabbed someone to death and is burying the body...LOL at you harney you egomaniac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This was the only way Harney would end up looking like a painters radio.

Hotais wrote: »
    he went on the protests during the Hunger Strike in 1981 -- the year I was born.

Sounds to me like her dad could be anyone. Has she checked her DNA for postman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Joe Duffy is on now going mad the woman who the the paint. He is backed up by old chattering class of Ireland of course claiming this is assault on Mary Harney.

Can these people not get it into their fat skulls that the irish people are sick of their opinions not being listened to by the government and this is just a symbol to get attention and it worked. Do the Joe Duffy crowd actually think that a silent sit town protest will actually do anything...

Silent protest is not working, so throw paint or vegetables, right? And if they don't work, and they won't, we should graduate to sticks and stones? Then knives, axes, bullets?

Get someone to throw paint over yourself and claim it's not assault. Throwing a pint over someone is assault, and a pint is a lot less offensive than paint (excepting Budweiser, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was interesting to hear the woman who assualted Mary Harney with paint also supports killing people if they are being 'oppressed'.

Looks like Mary Harney came out of it as the only woman with dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you would claim it is not assault? or have I misunderstood your point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I was there today when it happened, I took a picture...

Advertisement