Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on upgrading

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am using an old Dell desktop running XP with an Intel Celeron 2.40GHz chip, 2GB RAM and an Intel 82865G graphics card.

I want to do some video editing but the system is too slow to handle video properly and playback is very choppy.

My question is, would it be better to upgrade the CPU, RAM and graphics card or buy a new system?

Would anyone know what is the max amount of usable RAM you could have on a system running XP?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GPU is definitely a pain in the side. CPU doesn't help either

What's the model of the Dell PC? Judging by the GPU, it's a fairly old PC and you'll probably need a new build altogether rather than an upgrade I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

eljono wrote: »
    Hey,

I am using an old Dell desktop running XP with an Intel Celeron 2.40GHz chip, 2GB RAM and an Intel 82865G graphics card.

I want to do some video editing but the system is too slow to handle video properly and playback is very choppy.

My question is, would it be better to upgrade the CPU, RAM and graphics card or buy a new system?

Would anyone know what is the max amount of usable RAM you could have on a system running XP?

There are two types of XP, 32bit and 64bit. 32 is the most common by far and it's limited to 4GB of total memory (bear in mine, that includes graphics memory, so if you have a 1GB graphics card then the OS can only use 3GB of your system memory). You could check under control panel -> system which version you have, but I think it's safe to say the max you could put in there is 4GB.

Tbh, you're probably better off getting a new machine. What can be upgraded is very limited on older machines, particularly Dells. Because the platform is so old, it's hard to get compatible parts and even if you can you end up paying well over the odds for what they are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like getting a new machine is the most logical progression so. Anyone know of free Mac Pro's going? :D

Advertisement