Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom 7mb or upc for xbox live

• 01-11-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I have eircom 2mg standard broadband at the moment and was wondering if its worth upgrading to 7mg to get better xbox live connection.
    my current setup lags a lot when my kids are online gaming and internet gets very slow at certain times of the day,mostly evenings.
    eircom ngb is not available in my area and no time given for its rollout yet.
    i am in limerick city.
    is upc any good for this or is eircom 7mg a better choice.
    any other ideas to sort this???
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Congestion wont change on your line if your not in a NGB area, UPC would be your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

UPC is the better choice.

If the current lag is happening because of multiple people gaming at the one time, then the contention could be on the LAN. This is especially true if you use a wireless connection to the modem. If this is the case, then changing ISP will more than likely not help. For multiple connections through the one modem, you need to use Ethernet cabled connections, not Wifi, especially for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

With online gaming I found you really need to be getting 5mg or better..course the upload speed needs to be good..ie 1mg , too.

Am about to jump from Digiweb 8MG to Eircom 8MG as the latter have a new package with a zero contention promise built into it...it should be good as the relay station is very close to my house..fingers crossed as you never know till you actually start using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KillianS

Whatever you do get UPC , best customer service, connection speeds, quality etc i am currently with eircom i pay 47 euro for 3mb broadband eventhough 30mb broadband is 42 euro with upc (The reason i cant get UPC is that they dont do my area as I moved house), + eircom have really annyoyed me as currently im having trouble loading web pages :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I would get UPC if you can as it's much cheaper and faster.I cannot get it in my area ever since I moved out of dublin ,but I can give you info on my experience with eircom.I have 7mg broadband and have no issues with xbox live ,even when im downloading stuff on the pc upstairs and my OH is on the laptop downstairs.I can have all three going at the one time with little or no lag.I have cut out some of the cost as I do not have a phone ,just a broadband line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

jor el wrote: »
    If the current lag is happening because of multiple people gaming at the one time, then the contention could be on the LAN. This is especially true if you use a wireless connection to the modem.

All routers are not equal. We found the WiFi slowed with traffic on the switch. So added a separate ethernet switch and only used one LAN port on router + wifi. Reduced additional delay on Internet from a peak of 12ms when lots of LAN traffic (to our own server) down to 1ms on the WiFi.

Advertisement