Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP-Wants to teach Religion and History to 2nd level.

Options
  • 01-11-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello Everyone! I'd really appreciate help on this because I have to decide on which subject to major in very soon. I'm studying Film and Religion and I'm thinking about majoring in Religion, but not sure.

The religion course I'm doing allows me to teach in 2nd level, but I heard you can't teach with just one subject! SO, can I do anything about this? I love history and was wondering if there was a post grad i could do in history that would allow me to teach history in secondary school along side relgion? And if so, how do I go about teaching from there? Do I need another teaching certificate?

Thank you so much for your help.:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'll probably have to do another degree. Both Religion and History are very hard subjects to get jobs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

wondering if there was a post grad i could do in history

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/history/ <<<< you would have to check with the teaching council if it is recognised

www.oscail.ie <<<< you could do the undergraduate history modules by distance learning

You could study history with the open university. Again make sure the teaching council recognises the modules you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/acsss/hdip/history/ <<<< you would have to check with the teaching council if it is recognised

www.oscail.ie <<<< you could do the undergraduate history modules by distance learning

You could study history with the open university. Again make sure the teaching council recognises the modules you take.

The OU only have two degrees currently that are recognised by the TC, one in Maths and the other in Chemistry. I know you can take specific modules with OU to make up credits for a subject but I'd say history is not one of those subjects as they do not offer modules in Irish history, and I have a feeling that you would probably need some module in Irish history as part of the degree. Probably better off checking out the Oscail option for history.

Check with the TC first of course.

Advertisement