Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The German market beer

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I heard a rumour that the beer could cost up to 8 euro to discourage the riff raff element. any truth in this?

I remember thats what The G used to (or still does?) charge for an Erdinger.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It'll be at fancy tourist prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well if thats true it will put everyone off who the hell would pay that much for beer, they can keep it and bring it back to Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Couldn't the riff raff just go in and not drink the beer onsale in there?

Are they charging into the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess we'll just see once they open :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are they advertising for employees or are they being imported form the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Would it be possible that it will be sold in 1l Steins? 8euro sounds about right if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the beer could cost up to 8 euro. any truth in this?

yes. Paul faller of the City Business Association was quoted in the Tribune a couple of weeks back that bottles of beer would be 8 to 10 euro. Have a look on galwaynews.ie im on the phone, so cant link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

More proof that galway politicans can't do anything right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'll bring me own German Beer so, from Aldi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

soundbyte wrote: »
    yes. Paul faller of the City Business Association was quoted in the Tribune a couple of weeks back that bottles of beer would be 8 to 10 euro. Have a look on galwaynews.ie im on the phone, so cant link.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=paul+faller+beer+site%3Agalwaynews.ie

I don't see the price mentioned, maybe I've just missed it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

If it is anything like the Dublin Market, it is around €10 for a litre of beer, with a €5 deposit for the glass.
    €5.50 for a half litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

What a rip off. Still, if people are stupid enough to pay it fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well, no one is being forced to pay it so I suppose it's up the the punter whether they want to buy their beer there or browse the markets and head into one of the many pubs around Eyre Sq instead for their "normal" beer afterwards.

kippy wrote: »
    Well, no one is being forced to pay it so I suppose it's up the the punter whether they want to buy their beer there or browse the markets and head into one of the many pubs around Eyre Sq instead for their "normal" beer afterwards.

That is true but it doesn't bode well for the rest of the market if the organisers are purposively pricing things up to 'keep the riff raff away'. Plus I find it hard to believe that this temporary market is going to have higher overheads than the pubs in the area so I don't see how they can justify such a high price to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The council are charging them thousands for the right to have the market, yeah?

How about, we don't charge them anything to set it up, let them run it for twice as long, and therefore have thousands of people come into the city, spend money, maintain jobs and generally having a good time?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

It may be expensive, but it doesn;t usually put people off. The queues for the Oktoberfest in Dublin (which im pretty sure is run by the same company) was into the hundreds on a thursday/friday/saturday night, similar queues for the christmas market last year too. Its great for the surrounding pubs too, they usually do well from the passing trade.
    People seemed willing to pay that little bit extra for something different. I suppose it works out at just under €6 for a pint, and you get your deposit back for your glass if you remember to bring it back, many (including myself) forget :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Starting November 19th? Cool, I look forward to it, is before I leave this lovely city.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

€10 for a litre of beer is not expensive IMO

Erdinger Oktoberfest was approx €9.50 for a litre in the Oslo, there was no complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Selling German beer in the market does not make it a European market; none of the Christmas markets I've been to over the years have sold beer for people to saunter around drinking. They sell mulled wine like that. Why does the Irish version need to have beer?

Fey! wrote: »
    Selling German beer in the market does not make it a European market; none of the Christmas markets I've been to over the years have sold beer for people to saunter around drinking. They sell mulled wine like that. Why does the Irish version need to have beer?

My version will have mulled wine cause I'll make a flask of it before I go. :P Hmm, maybe I should do that for college too.... Ah december. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That is true but it doesn't bode well for the rest of the market if the organisers are purposively pricing things up to 'keep the riff raff away'. Plus I find it hard to believe that this temporary market is going to have higher overheads than the pubs in the area so I don't see how they can justify such a high price to begin with.

Price has nothing to do with justification. It has everything to do with supply and demand. If they can manage to extract that much from tourists, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

I wonder was this the "solution" they came up with to assure people that they could get the licence sorted and not have people partying it up in Eyre Square? As if anyone would want to stand around in the freezing cold there to drink in the middle of winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Lads, if it is a Litre for 8euro its not atall overly expensive. It works out at 4.56 per pint which is cheaper than most pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Steins aren't exactly ideal sauntering about size in fairness! think i'll be sticking to mulled wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Shanley wrote: »

Erdinger Oktoberfest was approx €9.50 for a litre in the Oslo, there was no complaints!

they buy the litre for about 1.50, so they are making a bit of a profit.
    if they have Dublin prices it will stand out.
    8 euro for a pint would be a tad expensive.
    out curiosity will be satisfied in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Shanley wrote: »

If my maths are correct it costs €5.68 a pint. Still pricey for a normal night out but for a one off you'd pay it.

Advertisement