Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toastmasters Tramore

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a (non-Skype) phone number for this group, or recent info on where they meet?

I have emailed an address but got no reply. All links take you to a 'service unavailable' website. Any phone numbers are Skype which I do not have subs for and don't normally need it so I don't want to pay for that. They did meet in the Bridge club but the only reference now is 'to be decided'.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 garrser

Did you check out Toastmasters International :
    http://reports.toastmasters.org/findaclub/searchresults.cfm?Country=Ireland&State=&City=Tramore%20%20Co%20Waterford ?

There is a normal phone number mentioned as well as a link to an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I emailed that link and got no reply - I somehow established it was from 3 or 4 years ago, though I can't remember how I found that out. That phone number is a skype number and seems to be one that is on all the clubs.

The other information might be correct and I was proposing to just go and see if anyone is there on the night. Thanks for your suggestion.

Found this page on the Munster web site:

http://www.munster-express.ie/community-notes/tramore/international-speech-and-evaluation-contest-held-at-tramore-toastmasters/

It's a "bit" old but it does contain some more contact details. Might be worth a try...

Thanks, thats the most recent thing I have seen so I will give it a try on the evening/venue mentioned.

If you do manage to contact someone from Toastmasters and get to go along to one of their sessions, let us know what you thought of it...

• Advertisement

garrser wrote: »
    If you do manage to contact someone from Toastmasters and get to go along to one of their sessions, let us know what you thought of it...

I went to a couple of sessions of the Waterford one but its maybe three or four years ago, then work issues got in the way of the relevant evening and I stopped going.

I found it interesting, but it would not be for everyone. I found the people friendly and very supportive, and the talks interesting. You work through an organised list of levels, giving a short talk to the group, usually on a specified subject or style of presentation, then you are given feedback on your presentation. It is very positive and supportive, but you do get guidelines on how you could improve. You can repeat that level or move on to the next. There are guidelines on how to cope with each level.

If you are nervous about speaking in public it would be very helpful, or if you are a bit of an exhibitionist :D you could learn what is genuinely good speaking and what you need to improve or change. The higher levels get very skilled and challenging, and there are regional, national and international competitions.

Some of the guidelines are a bit ott American for our tastes, but the Irish groups tend to tone down the 'jolly corporate' aspects.

I am quite confident about speaking in public, but as I get older I find my memory letting me down a bit sometimes ('the um thingy... er...the whatjumacallit...') so I want to keep my brain in better working order!

Tramore Toastmasters

The next meeting of Tramore Toastmasters will take place on Wednesday 10th November at 7:45 in The Bridge Club on Queen Street.

Tramore Toastmasters meet on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday each month.

Guests are always welcome. Come along and find out what it's all about...

Or call Catherine on 086 6005694 or Alan on 086 2548554

(@ Mods: Hope its ok to post the above phone numbers here - they were published as I said on last weeks Tramore Advertiser.)

Advertisement