Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage Door

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what happened to the place?
    has teh community starte3d to frequent mainstream bars?
    there was a traveller woman outside the corbett court lamping on about how she had it closed with the help of the lord. she was there for an hour at least.
    whats the offical reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just finished up as a result of not doing enough business.

Awful hole. The inside needs to be gutted. And even then, it mightn't do good business as it's not in the best location. Just too far off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what happened to the place?
    has teh community starte3d to frequent mainstream bars?
    there was a traveller woman outside the corbett court lamping on about how she had it closed with the help of the lord. she was there for an hour at least.
    whats the offical reason?

AFAIK the community went to Hoistys. Haven't tested it out myself, as I disliked the pecking I got the only time I went to the stage door.

Didn't think preacher-lady was a MOTC ... just disturbed. Happy to be corrected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JustMary wrote: »
    AFAIK the community went to Hoistys. Haven't tested it out myself, as I disliked the pecking I got the only time I went to the stage door.

Didn't think preacher-lady was a MOTC ... just disturbed. Happy to be corrected.

MOTC?

Whatever she is, she's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Seaneh wrote: »
    MOTC?

Whatever she is, she's mental.

Completely. She had a go at me one day for wearing trousers. Said I was an abomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can someone please translate what the **** ye are saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Member of Travelling community....AKA. member of an ethnic minority

now stop swearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MOTC........... Jesus Christ, has it come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The Galway Shawl is apparently the new gay bar in Galway, it opened last night. Walked past it today, you'd never know it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I don't know what MOTC means so can't help you there
    that woman outside the shopping centre rants about everything, i.e. women wearing trousers, etc. not just one specific thing.
    also there are a few unspoken "gay" bars around the town if you know where to look. Ti Neachtains being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I
    also there are a few unspoken "gay" bars around the town if you know where to look. Ti Neachtains being one example.

Hee hee, what's an 'unspoken' gay bar? If you say the pw, can you get the secret gay price for a pint?:p

I think the days of 'kinda' gay bar are gone. There are three types now imo - Actual gay bars, bars regularly populated by a large population of homophobes, and normal pubs that don't really care who you shag once you are a decent customer.

I think places like Neachtains, Bar 8, Massimos etc do fall in to the final group, therefore may attract more gay clientele than the middle group!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

inisboffin wrote: »

I think the days of 'kinda' gay bar are gone. There are three types now imo - Actual gay bars, bars regularly populated by a large population of homophobes, and normal pubs that don't really care who you shag once you are a decent customer.

Which bracket does the average country pub fall into?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Hee hee, what's an 'unspoken' gay bar? If you say the pw, can you get the secret gay price for a pint?:p

I think places like Neachtains, Bar 8, Massimos etc do fall in to the final group, therefore may attract more gay clientele than the middle group!

and the bars that gay people frequent but like to keep the fact that they are gay to themselves - of which there are many - and they congregate in various pubs throughout the city - neactains is one of them. Not all gay people are open about it and not all gay people want to frequent actual gay bars.

and the bars that gay people frequent but like to keep the fact that they are gay to themselves - of which there are many - and they congregate in various pubs throughout the city - neactains is one of them. Not all gay people are open about it and not all gay people want to frequent actual gay bars.

Open about it? Are you talking about snogging someone in the corner? There are plenty of straight people who don't do that either!:p
    Surely you're not talking about anything less than that, as who would honestly care?

That's what I meant about pubs that don't really care once you are a good customer. I'd say country pubs fall into the second and third categories, as I haven't heard of that many rural gay bars ;)

If they are not 'open' about it how do you know who they are and where they go? ;)
    There are gay people everywhere:p

inisbofin
    if you don't understand my post then let's just leave it at that. shall we?

Oh I understand all right, but am happy to leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I don't know what MOTC means so can't help you there
    that woman outside the shopping centre rants about everything, i.e. women wearing trousers, etc. not just one specific thing.

Neachtains has always been a place where artistes gathered, so it has been always beey welcoem for the gay cmmunity.

these gays seems to be everywhere these days yet there does not seem to be a very strong market for gay pubs. Zulus did not last long either. nor did stranos.any ideas why this is?
    true we are more homo tolerant but those on the search for a partner would probably still surely prefer a gay only bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Neachtains has always been a place where artistes gathered, so it has been always beey welcoem for the gay cmmunity.

these gays seems to be everywhere these days yet there does not seem to be a very strong market for gay pubs. Zulus did not last long either. nor did stranos.any ideas why this is?
    true we are more homo tolerant but those on the search for a partner would probably still surely prefer a gay only bar?

Is that all you go to a bar for is too pull?
    Maybe the reason gay bars don't last is down to either not a large enough clientele in the galway area or more likely that there are plenty of good pubs in galway who dint give a monkeys who you are or what you preferences are, a good pub atmosphere is what most people want not a meat market.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Think the reason gay bars never last long in Galway is straight people won't go to them 'cos they find them intimidating and there's not a sizeable enough gay population..

Think the reason gay bars never last long in Galway is straight people won't go to them 'cos they find them intimidating and there's not a sizeable enough gay population..

I don't agree. I think the reason that gay bars fail is if they aren't great pubs full stop. Of course straight people do go in to gay bars with their friends, :rolleyes: but not often enough to make it a viable profit margin. If the pub was good craic and had good music, I am sure a LOT of people would not be intimidated. However if the clientele that preferred only gay people there were uncomfortable, then that might influence things.

Re supply and demand.. If we're going by national statistics of percentage of gay population, it's over 10% of Galway - a pretty sizeable amount.

But not every gay person, I suspect would want to go to a gay bar all the time. Not every Polish person would want to only frequent a Polish bar, not all women would only want to go to a women only event every week, etc.

For the people who only feel safe or comfortable in a gay bar, then there wasn't much option in Galway, so it seems like the SD got a population it may not have gotten if there was choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I see it as almost a ritual to tell that preacher woman to **** off every time I see her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I was also told the Shawl bar is the new place to go for the gay community in Galway. Its been open for a while now but only recently has it become the apparent replacement for the Stage door.
    I did hear a rumour that apparently existing bar staff were made redundant to make way for gay staff to work there. I would hope that it is just a rumour and that positive discrimination is not the foundations for the new gay bar in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JoannaRyde

Find it odd that nobody has mentioned Dignity West??

We've been open 6 months now and are loving Galway. I personally have had lots of fun working there.

We hope to do more for the gay scene in Galway and Ireland in the coming year so dont hesitate to contact us if you have a suggestion.

www.dignitybar.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Galway shawl

I was also told the Shawl bar is the new place to go for the gay community in Galway. Its been open for a while now but only recently has it become the apparent replacement for the Stage door.
    I did hear a rumour that apparently existing bar staff were made redundant to make way for gay staff to work there. I would hope that it is just a rumour and that positive discrimination is not the foundations for the new gay bar in Galway.
    I would like to clear up this point about staff in the Galway Shawl.
    No Staff have be dismissed or got rid of because of there sexuality, Members of staff have left because they did not wish to work in a gay bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I would like to clear up this point about staff in the Galway Shawl.
    No Staff have be dismissed or got rid of because of there sexuality, Members of staff have left because they did not wish to work in a gay bar.
    I'm glad that is not the case. As I said I just heard a rumour and was looking to see if someone could clear that up.

Advertisement