Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slicks or threads?

• 01-11-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Trek hybrid fitted with Bontrager 700x32s which I use almost daily on my 32km commute in the greater Dublin area.

The Bontragers are fine in dry or very wet roads but I've little confidence in them in damp or greasy conditions.

I'm willing to compromise on rolling resistance and was thinking of upgrading to Schwalbe Marathon Plus for extra grip and puncture resistance. My local stockist claims that they won't give any better grip as the more rubber placed on the road, the better. I thought that was only true in dry conditions?

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated before I waste €70.

Thanks.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Marathon pluses are great tyres from a puncture resistance point of view.
    But you dealer is correct: tyre tread won't give you better grip, its there for cosmetic purposes only on a road bicycle tyre (unless you regularly exceed 100kph).
    Around Dublin, oil/diesel spills on roundabouts is the most likely cause of loss of traction: gave me a scary moment on the Walkinstown roundabout this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thanks rp.
    rp wrote: »
    Around Dublin, oil/diesel spills on roundabouts is the most likely cause of loss of traction
    Yes - roundabouts are where I lose confidence most and find myself going much slower that I would like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Dont waste the €70. Threads are cosmetic only, they're there to make you feel better. Don't buy into the lie;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tread, tread, tread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Lumen wrote: »
    Tread, tread, tread.

By God:eek: He's right. We all fail:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Is this a tread thread?

sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

This tread thread is dead...Ted.