Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ropes across roads?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Yesterday while out driving around I noticed some taut black ropes running across some roads, they seem to be attached to some kind of box. There's one on Wilton Road and one on the Ballincollig Bypass.

Does anyone know what these are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Traffic counters I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It's probably for measuring the volume of traffic that passes that area, generally there's 2 ropes, a clock in and out system that registers when something rolls over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ButtonyBoo

Yup that sounds like what they were.
    Once they weren't speed cameras :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

they're out around Dunkettle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

coyote.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

yup they are little pneumatic tubes, when a tire goes down on it the increase in pressure sends a pulse back to the box to count the number of axles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

How about the cameras, very temporary looking ones traffic lights around Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Spotted the same ones at the Poulavone Roundabout coming into Ballincollig. Temporary poles with what looks like CCTV cameras on the top, and all the wires leading to a black box about the size of a portable TV lying on the ground. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

yeah they are video cameras afaik to allow turning movement counts and to allow for vehicle classifications. Some poor sod has to watch all that footage back

• Advertisement

Spotted the same ones at the Poulavone Roundabout coming into Ballincollig. Temporary poles with what looks like CCTV cameras on the top, and all the wires leading to a black box about the size of a portable TV lying on the ground. Weird.

that's interesting - I've not seen ones like that. I must keep an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

One on the on ramp from Little Island to the N25 heading East, wonder how they expect them to stay there...

we're very law abiding out here - it'll be fine. I'll go have a look if it survives till the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm doing a special price on cctv next week, camera's recording equipment the lot!

:P

Advertisement