Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PI searching being disabled

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

:confused:
    Yeah I know that this has come up previously so im obviously not the only one wondering. From a search of old threads here on Feedback the reason given for the search in PI being disabled seems to be for privacy reasons.
    I can understand that but surely that’s what the annomounus posting function is there for? Is a user had an embarrassing issue that they want to be kept private then the vast majority are going to post anonymously so you don’t know who the user is anyway,

Users post in PI because they have a problem and the first thing you want to do if you have a problem is to search to see if anyone else has the same problem and what recommendations they were given?
    Also if different users are creating new threads for the same issue they are not getting much feedback because users get fed up of posting the same advise on multiple threads. I’m sure a lot of posters don’t want to create a new thread and a search of old threads would suffice with providing them with the general info that they are looking for.

I think disabling the search function seriously takes away from the usefullness of the PI forum which is a great help to many people.

my 2cents!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

You would imagine that people post problems on boards because they want to reach as wide a population as possible. There are so many people on boards now that I feel there is no advantage to excluding pi from search. We recently enabled search in tGC for these very reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Friend of mine was going through something a while back and I remembered a PI thread where the OP had been going through pretty much the exact same thing, and I endeavoured to search for it but of course couldn't. A pity, because it would have been a help to her - it was a really long thread too with lots of different advice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Try arranging threads by views/replies in different time frames. It can sometimes help tracking down threads without a proper search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Why not use Google to do your searching? You can search PI in a number of ways:

Example 1

Example 2

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Why not use Google to do your searching? You can search PI in a number of ways:

or to rephrase your post, given we can search PI in a number of ways through google, why not just make it searchable like every other forum? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Interesting points.

We (the PI mods) will have a chat about it and get back to you.

tbh wrote: »
    or to rephrase your post, given we can search PI in a number of ways through google, why not just make it searchable like every other forum? :p

True..but I think the VB search function can be a bit more "specific". For general searching, I'd use Google, not that I have any reason to search PI, as my life is perfect... :-}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because few people will bother with google search and the the majority of those that doe are usually genuine people looking for info where as using the site seach tends to be used by those looking to dig up 'dirt' on other posters. It it were possible to not have people's posts in PI show up in the the last 20 posts search I'd be all for that.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Because few people will bother with google search and the the majority of those that doe are usually genuine people looking for info where as using the site seach tends to be used by those looking to dig up 'dirt' on other posters.

is there any evidence for that, other than anecdotal - don't mean that question to be aggressive, just curious as we've enabled search in tGC.

is there any evidence for that, other than anecdotal - don't mean that question to be aggressive, just curious as we've enabled search in tGC.

Yes, but it won't be possible for us to prove that to you without linking to posters or deleted / snipped posts.

• Advertisement

Because few people will bother with google search and the the majority of those that doe are usually genuine people looking for info where as using the site seach tends to be used by those looking to dig up 'dirt' on other posters. It it were possible to not have people's posts in PI show up in the the last 20 posts search I'd be all for that.

While that's unfortunate, it seems to be to be a bit over the top to me.

just curious as we've enabled search in tGC.

If that is working out for ye over there then great but that forum has a broader remit and a wider range of topics then PI and it's subforums.

If that is working out for ye over there then great but that forum has a broader remit and a wider range of topics then PI and it's subforums.

I know :) but do you have any evidence other than anecdotal evidence?

Silverfish wrote: »
    Yes, but it won't be possible for us to prove that to you without linking to posters or deleted / snipped posts.

the yes is sufficient, thanks :) sorry - didn't see this post before I replied to thaeds, hence repeating the question.

The thing is, when we find posts linking to mocking or parodying a PI thread, we request it be deleted rather than leave it there as an example.

Part of PI modding is damage control on the rest of the site :)

I have seen people using posters PI threads against them in arguments on AH, and other forums - and even in signatures - so to date I haven't seen a reason to enable searching - I feel the burden of responsibility is towards the people who HAVE posted already, even years ago, under their own usernames, rather than people who don't want to post there at all.

Silverfish wrote: »
    The thing is, when we find posts linking to mocking or parodying a PI thread, we request it be deleted rather than leave it there as an example.
    which is fair enough, and also a reason that people aren't aware of the extent of the problem, eg:
    I have seen people using posters PI threads against them in arguments on AH, and other forums - and even in signatures -
    jesus like, really? rhetorical question, btw, I believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I think the lack of search function helps encourage posters to post their own thread rather than bumping or hijacking someone elses - which means they get advice tailor-made to their issue rather than someone elses.

I don't see any evidence that there aren't sufficient PI posters to answer each and every advice request regardless of how many variants have been posted, either.

Even in the short time I've been modding PI, there's been several occasions of posters using another posters PI as a springboard for their own discussion - if you could search for any topic or issue then I imagine there would be an increase in those kinds of threads - which isn't fair on those posting their issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭omega666

In fairness I would doubt the majority of posters that use the PI search are just looking for dirt on other posters.
    I would say the majority are genuine people looking for info also with a few occurrence’s of morons looking for ‘dirt’ previously.

It just seems a bit OTT to disable the entire search function for everyone because of the above. As i said before, the anonymous function is there for a reason, Im not sure why people would post personal issues under their regular username on a public forum if they wanted to keep them private.

I guess it depends on what official function PI has...is it a library resource for everyone or somewhere for individuals to ask advice on their issue... ?

omega666 wrote: »
    In fairness I would doubt the majority of posters that use the PI search are just looking for dirt on other posters.
    I would say the majority are genuine people looking for info also with a few occurrence’s of morons looking for ‘dirt’ previously.

It just seems a bit OTT to disable the entire search function for everyone because of the above. As i said before, the anonymous function is there for a reason, Im not sure why people would post personal issues under their regular username on a public forum if they wanted to keep them private.

The Op is usually unregged but we get a lot of people replying to threads with their account and sharing experiences and advice and it is part of what makes the forums work.

Changing the protections for the PI forum becomes retroactive for all the previous post which people made knowing those protections were in place and to do would be extremely unfair.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on what official function PI has...is it a library resource for everyone or somewhere for individuals to ask advice on their issue... ?

Can it be both? :)

In fairness i understand the reasons given and i'm more aware now of all
    of the issues the mods dealing with PI are trying to control.

seems a bit crazy, it’s like entering a library but not being able to get past the first shelf! Just think there's a lot of advise sitting there that could
    somehow be useful to a lot people. Probably the most valuable information in the whole site.

The thing is while on the surface it looks like the same problems coming up again and again there are always differences and nusances. Also some of the information given in older threads becomes out of date, websites change as do phone numbers and when clinics are on and best practices, there are often new better options and services.

Just think there's a lot of advise sitting there that could
    somehow be useful to a lot people. .

that's true, but it's not as if the mods punish someone for starting a thread someone else has already started. I've been posting on PI for about six years or so, and the same (roughly) ten or so topics come up all the time:

-does he/she like me
    -could I be pregnant
    -don't have sex with my partner anymore
    -is he/she cheating
    -nightmare parent/sibling/roommate

etc.

I make the point because for any of those threads, the advice sought is likely to be specific to that case, rather than generic advice. A poster is more likely to get advice that useful to them by starting their own thread, than by reading advice given to someone else in slightly different circumstances.

edit: I took thaeds post and did a wibbs on it ;)

Can it be both? :)

In fairness i understand the reasons given and i'm more aware now of all
    of the issues the mods dealing with PI are trying to control.

seems a bit crazy, it’s like entering a library but not being able to get past the first shelf! Just think there's a lot of advise sitting there that could
    somehow be useful to a lot people. Probably the most valuable information in the whole site.

See, I'm not sure it should be a library. There is certainly some great advice given but as Thead says, people ask for advice and give advice knowing that there is no function to search out what they have said and when - and I think that's an important part of the forum in terms of posters being more honest and sharing their experiences.

I'm not convinced that the relative anonymity of poster or advisor should be compromised purely for the sake of opening the entire back-history of PI to people who, in that instance at least, aren't actually adding anything to the forum and just want to piggy-back off others who have had the courage to post; or worse, use past posts or topics to attack or mock posts, advice or the situations that some PI/RI posters find themselves in.

There is also an awful lot of heart-wrenchingly honest posts in the bereavement forum and I would certainly be against any action that would make it easier to troll or act the muppet with regards to historical posts in that section.

Oh tell me about it been modding PI for the last 7 years, but while it may be possible to do a flow chart for those problems with the info that is not the sum of what the forum is about, it is about also support, it's people posting about their issues which alone can be of great benefit and getting replies knowing that other people hear them and they are not the only one to have gone through it as well as helpful advice and information.

Stop Wibbsing my posts, I am trying to be brief :P
    and it's like saying candyman he'll appear and put us to sleep with a sprawling epic in the pros and cons
    and then say he's on the fence personally as he no longer mods PI :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm one of those who spill my own guts when replying to other people's problems so I'd prefer to see it kept search free although it does make it difficult sometimes to keep up with what threads I've posted in.

Fair points by all, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just checked the google search linked the ealier poster and you
    can search PI by username anyway so it kinda make the privacy issues mute.
    Sure it not as straight foward as a forum search but anyone intent on causing trouble will put in the effort im sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Changing the protections for the PI forum becomes retroactive for all the previous post which people made knowing those protections were in place and to do would be extremely unfair.
    This would be my biggest issue with it. That and those who link into threads in there or look to start trouble with people and like has been said that certainly went on and still does. Even innocently where someone will quote an OP's problem in another part of the site. Only last week I snipped one of those and I've snipped a fair few of the more dodgy ones too. I've seen PI posts and references come up in AH, tLL, humanities among others. The respective mods are very good at snipping them but it happens. Hell I have even gotten a couple of PM's where people wanted to know could I tell them who was posting anon in PI/RI as they thought they knew them. I never took it further up the chain, just respectfully told them to fcuk off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been posting on PI for about six years or so, and the same (roughly) ten or so topics come up all the time:

-does he/she like me
    -could I be pregnant
    -don't have sex with my partner anymore
    -is he/she cheating
    -nightmare parent/sibling/roommate

etc.
    )
    Yea and you could also say roughly the same advice is given too
    Ahh OP, just be yourself, see a counselor/doctor, things will work out
    :)

In the end it doesn't really matter most of the time, it usually helps people just to type down their problem and know that someone is willing to reply to them in particular.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Fair points by all, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just checked the google search linked the ealier poster and you
    can search PI by username anyway so it kinda make the privacy issues mute.
    Sure it not as straight foward as a forum search but anyone intent on causing trouble will put in the effort im sure.

Providing an in-house facility for those who wish to cause trouble to save them any added effort surely wouldn't be a rational reason to re-instate the search function anyway, would it? :)

Advertisement