Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealers targeting "professionals" with "Snow Blow"..Jesus Wept!!

Options
  • 01-11-2010 1:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/snow-left-at-doors-to-entice-a-new-breed-of-addicts-2401378.html
    Free samples of a dangerous ecstasy-like drug known as "snow blow" are being left at people's front doors as banned head shops go underground due to a crackdown on their business.
    The illegal high (real name mephedrone) is being sold in Dublin for three times its original price.
    Street-level dealers are strategically placing free samples of this psychoactive drug at front doors of private apartments and doorsteps belonging to houses of young professionals to entice a new type of addict fanbase.
    Proven to cause acute health problems and lead to dependency, "snow blow" now has the same illegal status as cocaine, hash and heroine.
    Mel MacGiobun, co-ordinator of the North Dublin Inner City Drugs Task Force, has warned that if "a suspicious psychoactive substance like this" is left at your door, it should be reported to the gardai.
    He said: "It is a very worrying trend that inner city residents in private apartment complexes are being targeted with suspicious samples of so called 'snow', left outside the doors of their homes. There is no way of knowing what a small mound of white powder left on a piece of paper might be, it could be anything -- arsenic, mephedrone or some other synthetic drug."
    These synthetic drugs are completely illegal since May when Health Minister Mary Harney outlawed 200 of these substances.
    Named substances like mephedrone are banned through the Misuse of Drugs Act, and the European Commission is now seeking to ban mephedrone, which is described as having "acute and chronic toxicity", right across the EU.
    "At the height of it there were 14 head shops in the north inner city and the majority of these are now closed. We have heard reports that drug dealers have now gone into this kind of illicit drug dealing market now, so in a sense they are under ground.
    "There is availability on the internet with these drugs even though they are forbidden to be sold on the web but dealers are finding ways around this," said Mr MacGiobun.
    Apartment owners in the Hanover Street area in the Dublin Docklands were the target of "snow blow" drug dealers last week who strategically placed a free sample of the drug at front doors late one night to attract a new breed of addicts.
    Already linked to at least 37 deaths in the UK and Ireland alone, Mr MacGiobun said: "It [snow] has got more expensive since the closure of the head shops, it was being sold for between €15 and €20 a gram in the head shop and now it has almost trebled in price."
    The North Inner City Drugs Task Force has advised anyone to report such a suspicious discovery to their local garda station or to contact Dial To Stop Drug Dealing and Threats on Freephone 1800 220 220.

More Drivel from young Alison by the look of it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

So say I open the door and throw back the mystery pills, how exactly am I to get in contact with the dealer for more?

This should be in Creative Writing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The tactic itself is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oh no!

I bet Alison bought a shed load of Snow Blow for €100k and now they're giving it away for free!!

She's gonna have to start making her own coffee in her modest kitchen again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Who decides to hoof some random powder up their nose that they found on their doorstep?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Are you telling me that dealers are leavng snow on people's doorsteps?

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Sound like complete bull but if it was true and someone did snort/swallow a "mound of white powder on a piece of paper" left outside their door, they deserve what they get- it's what Darwin would have wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Does this Mel MacGiobun actually exist? Google only brought up other links to this article on different websites and no links to the NICDTF website when I searched his name. Also, if Hanover Street is where she lives (I think that was mentioned in past articles) and she's just stated that drug dealers are hanging around the area, hasn't she just driven the value of her apartment even lower?

Again showing the level of journalistic prowess common in each of her articles, Alison has decided, for some reason, that Heroin is now female!
    Proven to cause acute health problems and lead to dependency, "snow blow" now has the same illegal status as cocaine, hash and heroine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

that is some bloody brilliant reporting, hats off to the Indo and Alison for some gritty well researched journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*opens door*

"What the............what's that on the ground?"

*opens bag*

"Hmm, looks like some sort of white powder.......coke, maybe?............or flour?........could be rat poison."

*thinks for a second*

"Oh well, better dispose of it...........................SNIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFF!!!!"

"Awwww man, where's da choons!?! I'm flying off me nut!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

What a load of me hoop. This is along the same lines of the crap we were told when we were kids about dealers soaking strickers in drugs and running up and sticking them to you so you'd be addicted. What a load of shite.

Newsflash: Drugs are easy to sell. Dealers don't need to be leaving piles of them on your doorstep for nothing when they can sell them for cash.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Oh no!

I bet Alison bought a shed load of Snow Blow for €100k and now they're giving it away for free!!

She's gonna have to start making her own coffee in her modest kitchen again :(

classic :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ive never heard such rubbish.

How did this make it past an editor??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

who takes drug samples left outside your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Absolute hogwash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ally wrote:
    We have heard reports that drug dealers have now gone into this kind of illicit drug dealing market now, so in a sense they are under ground.

My favourite line in the piece.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Ive never heard such rubbish.

How did this make it past an editor??
    Degsy wrote: »

There's your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

After being caught on the indo for plagarism for the "german lederhosen" article, you'd think they'd be a bit stricter about her future content...

Go find a different job Alison, or at least go back and try LC honours English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Anyone got a pic of this pleb.

Can't pinpoint her on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Jesus what a hack!!! Seriouly hope the college she got her degree from contacts her to get it back, because if that's what passes for journalism we're in a bad way!!!

• Advertisement

Mel MacGiobun, co-ordinator of the North Dublin Inner City Drugs Task Force, has warned that if "a suspicious psychoactive substance like this" is left at your door, it should be reported to the gardai.

"Hmmmm...... this powder looks psychoactive....... better contact the Gardai"

Biggins wrote: »
    The tactic itself is nothing new.

Absolute horsesh1t.

Nobody.......and i mean Nobody.......is, was or ever will be giving out free drugs in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think she must've collected coupons off the side of NCF milk cartons and got her journalism degree in the post.

The only kind of dealer that leaves drugs on your doorstep is probably the kind legging it from the cops, throws it out of his pockets and it happens to land on your doorstep..................or an extremely nice guy handing out free drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

I enjoy reading her stuff cos there's always great comedy here afterwards!

Keep up the good work Alison! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 smokesletsgo

The good old indo maybe tv3 will be onto her and ask her to turn that report into a two part drama

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I love the way she mentions "acute health problems" and doesn't elaborate further. Surely with this scaremongering sh1t the least she could do is back herself up with easily obtained hard facts. Very sloppy work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tip for Alison: drug dealing is a high-profit occupation with little or no overheads. Just the thing for keeping your head above the tide of your crippling mortgage.

You also no doubt have a ready-made coterie of pretentious dickheads to sell the stuff to.

My favourite line in the piece.

Yup, as opposed to your mainstream drug-dealers.

I only go for the underground guys who leave it on the doorstep. I like to keep it real!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nice too see the doorstep magazine people are branching out into new business models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

You really love her don't you Degsy?
    I meant to ask you on the last thread, did you register on politics.ie just to join their discussion on Alison? If you did I tip my hat to you. That's commitment to the cause.

Advertisement