Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealers targeting "professionals" with "Snow Blow"..Jesus Wept!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

bluewolf wrote: »
    I won't from my work email, but I will bang an email to the Indo tonight.
    Who should it be addressed to I wonder

"letter to the sindo editor"?
    http://www.independent.ie/service/contact-us-24070.html
    or:

Enquiries: info@independent.ie ?

Aengus Fanning is the editor.

Email him but make sure you don't use any punctuation and stick in a load of spelling errors. Tell him you're barely literate and ask him can you have O'Riordans job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FFS how does she get away with such blatant plagarism? Whole paragraphs lifted word for word, while any useful info in the Herald article is dropped. Looks like the only thing she contributed was her made up bull**** about drugs being left in Hanover Street. What an abolute idiot.

LOL, just LOL!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I wonder has she ever seen Brasseye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

This is the extent of her research. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nope!

That happened a LONG time ago!

True.

I can't believe a national newspaper thinks a story about locals being 'terrorised' by egg throwing youths is newsworthy
    On opening her door last Saturday night, a raw egg went flying past her head.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

IN LAST week's issue, in an article by Alison O'Riordan, we used a form of words referencing German stereotyping. These words were, in fact, a quotation from the Soccerphile website. However, the manner in which they appeared did not clearly convey their origin. We regret not including the proper attribution for Soccerphile website."

This is a bizarre apology. The main issue is not that Alison quoted copyrighted material without attribution. The main issue is that Alison quoted copyrighted material as if it was part of an interview with a real person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This story has also been picked up by Irish Central, an Irish American site.
    They attribute it to the Sindo, but (seem to) directly quote MacGiobun on the free drugs angle.
    The Sunday Independent quotes Mel MacGiobun, the co-ordinator of the North Dublin Inner City Drugs Task Force, who said that if "a suspicious psychoactive substance like this" is left at your door, it should be reported to the gardai, and claimed that "It is a very worrying trend that inner city residents in private apartment complexes are being targeted with suspicious samples of so called 'snow', left outside the doors of their homes. There is no way of knowing what a small mound of white powder left on a piece of paper might be, it could be anything -- arsenic, mephedrone or some other synthetic drug."

Its not clear if MacGiobun himself is saying that free drugs are being left lying around or if he is taking someone else at their word.

Alison: "They're giving out free drugs"
    MacGiobun: "That's a worrying trend"
    Irish Central: "Drugs Task Force co-ordinator says dealers giving out free drugs is a worrying trend"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Alison is either a plant by Boards.ie to increase traffic in After Hours and thereby increasing advertising revenue, or.....a plant by the Independent to increase traffic to their site and thereby increasing advertising revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭odonopenmic

Aaaah, Mel's a real boy? Dissappointing. Was having a great vision of how Alison pieced this one together:

Alison (turns on TV): "Oh look! Braveheart's on....."
    (turns back to jotterpad and crayola) "now if only I could come up with a clever name for my fake expert. Hmmmmmm"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS something this country will never learn to handle..

the crap that people are taking nowadays is unbelievable.

the head shops could have been regulated and allowed sell all drugs subject to quality control..

Looks like random gifts outside apartments arent all that unusual.

These dealers left bread outside people's gaffs,presumably in the hope of getting them addicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I wonder if the dealers are like Avon and Kleeneze and get really pissed off if you don't put the drugs back on the step afterwards for them to take back if you're not going to buy anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It's pretty mad how someone so clearly awful at their job can retain it in 'these times'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Incidentally, I live near enough to Hannover Quay in a private apartment building (though luckily in the opposite direction to where Alisuuuuuuun lives) so if I do get any freebies I'll let you all know via Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Degsy wrote: »
    Looks like random gifts outside apartments arent all that unusual.

These dealers left bread outside people's gaffs,presumably in the hope of getting them addicted.

I get Milk left outside my place twice a week, crazy stuff it is, cant have my tea without it these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Ha ha ha ha what an absolute joke, HORSESH!TE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Presumably these little free baggies of snow have some contact details on the back, "Call anto on 089565656 for more" or are dealers now working in some sort of co-op arrangement like the irish dairy council where their product in general is promoted? It just does not make sense. Whats next, coalmen leaving a bag of soot? Window cleaners cleaning a small portion of your windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

jackal wrote: »
    Whats next, coalmen leaving a bag of soot? Window cleaners cleaning a small portion of your windows?

Probably brassers riding you halfway to the point of orgasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

jackal wrote: »
    are dealers now working in some sort of co-op arrangement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

As a Docklands resident, I rang Mel MacGiobun this afternoon. He wasn't very forthcoming, but as far as I understand, he did not contact Alison O'Riordan about this story - presumably she contacted him. He didn't confirm that drugs were being left on doorsteps in this manner, but simply that _if_ it was happening, that Gardai should be contacted.

I plan to contact the Docklands authority and the Gardai to find out if this is happening.

EDIT: I just rang Pearse St garda station. The garda did me a favour of asking around the station to see if anything like this has happened, and confirmed there'd been no mention of it. Needless to say, his laughter indicated that the idea of drug dealers leaving drugs outside doors in the off chance of hooking a young sexy professional wasn't one he took seriously.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

oceanclub wrote: »
    As as Docklands resident, I rang Mel MacGiobun this afternoon. He wasn't very forthcoming, but as far as I understand, he didn not contact Alison O'Riordan about this story - presumably she contacted him. He didn't confirm that drugs were being left on doorsteps in this manner, but simply that _if_ it was happening, that Gardai should be contacted.

I plan to contact the Docklands authority and the Gardai to find out if this is happening.

P.

Oooh, lookit you, angling after Alisons job, doing research and that.

oceanclub wrote: »

P.

Of course it isnt happening..she made the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lol he obviously is going to get a better job than her, since he's doing real research....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That doesn't appear to be Alison's job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Hanover st, a no-go area not for the perceived drugs plastered all over the paths but to avoid imbeciles! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

How in the name of hell is this girl still in a job. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen and now to blatantly make up an entire article is just unreal.

I don't know who worse her for making such shiite or the editor for allowing it to be published!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Does anyone know if it was perhaps a German man in lederhosen who reported the drugs being placed?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

c_man wrote: »

A more appropriate Wire analogy:

More than anything this article is just more evidence of how thick and out of touch this woman is. Somewhere in her little brain she thought this would be a plausible scenario for the readers to believe actually happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is Hanover st the new Amsterdam as per The Wire?:) Send all the dealers & addicts to her apt block and see how professional living really becomes ;)

Advertisement