Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealers targeting "professionals" with "Snow Blow"..Jesus Wept!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

"There is no way of knowing what a small mound of white powder left on a piece of paper might be"

WTF?

Second most bizarre statement since I am not a witch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJyPsmEask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I know the previous Ali thread was closed, but was there one on her "German lederhosen prospective flatmate" article and the subsequent apology that the Sindo had to print?

http://twitpic.com/32kfl7

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Biggins wrote: »
    The tactic itself is nothing new.

leaving free drugs lying about the place? Wishful thinking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Silly woman, everyone knows that this drug is actually called 'Cake', and the health benefits that she just briefly skims over is that it actually affects the Shatners Bassoon area of your brain and gives you Czech neck.

She's doing an article on Clarky Cat and Yellow Bentines next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

oceanclub wrote: »
    I know the previous Ali thread was closed, but was there one on her "German lederhosen prospective flatmate" article and the subsequent apology that the Sindo had to print?

P.
    holy sh1t!!!

does that even make sense....

(the socerphile ref)

• Advertisement

Clarky Cat and Yellow Bentines are where its at tbh.
    leave it out lads, it's not funny, i was diagnosed with czech neck this week, and it's not nice. Alison is doing a piece on it next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

"Here's the sugar I borrowed from you yesterday back - sorry, I only had a baggie handy." :confused:

DominoDub wrote: »
    Photo's from behind Alison O’Riordan's front door !

"Box of White "fairy " Powder in her bedroom ?":cool:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2010/10/14/slide-show-the-down-at-heart-docklands-girl-inside-her-apartment/

Quote from one of the comments on that site
    James M. Chimney says:
    October 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm
    G to the E to the E to the B to A to the G!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

bluewolf wrote: »
    I won't from my work email, but I will bang an email to the Indo tonight.
    Who should it be addressed to I wonder

"letter to the sindo editor"?
    http://www.independent.ie/service/contact-us-24070.html
    or:

Enquiries: info@independent.ie ?

I emailed the Sindo editor last week to complain about her use of copyright material from Soccerphile and that the use of such material clearly indicated that her article was fictional. I never got any response and the apology in yesterday's paper made no mention of how a factual article would include plagiarism from a comedic web article. So my next move is to contact the Press Ombudsman.

How they work is that you make your complaint to the publication, the editor as you quoted is sufficient. Then if they don't respond satisfactorily within a fortnight you move your complaint to the Ombudsman.

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/making-a-complaint.24.html

It only takes a few minutes to contact the editor and a few more to make the complaint if you don't hear back. I know official complaints isn't really how we do things in this country but this is going too far, imo. I enjoy laughing at these awful articles as much as anyone but I'd prefer a press that makes some effort at accuracy and honesty and the only way we will get that is to take real action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

iguana wrote: »
    I emailed the Sindo editor last week to complain about her use of copyright material from Soccerphile and that the use of such material clearly indicated that her article was fictional. I never got any response and the apology in yesterday's paper made no mention of how a factual article would include plagiarism from a comedic web article. So my next move is to contact the Press Ombudsman.

How they work is that you make your complaint to the publication, the editor as you quoted is sufficient. Then if they don't respond satisfactorily within a fortnight you move your complaint to the Ombudsman.

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/making-a-complaint.24.html

It only takes a few minutes to contact the editor and a few more to make the complaint if you don't hear back. I know official complaints isn't really how we do things in this country but this is going too far, imo. I enjoy laughing at these awful articles as much as anyone but I'd prefer a press that makes some effort at accuracy and honesty and the only way we will get that is to take real action.

If you've sent a message to the editor could you copy and paste it here, perhaps others could use it as a template to com....huh, that would a bit ironic considering the circumstances.:P

What if the complaints result in the demise of Alisons articles? What will we do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DominoDub wrote: »
    Photo's from behind Alison O’Riordan's front door !

"Box of White "fairy " Powder in her bedroom ?":cool:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2010/10/14/slide-show-the-down-at-heart-docklands-girl-inside-her-apartment/
    Wow, that apartment is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

who takes drug samples left outside your door?

I do but Im usually to f*cked to fill out the attached questionaire though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The Indo is a laughable rag at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As a Docklands resident, I rang Mel MacGiobun this afternoon. He wasn't very forthcoming, but as far as I understand, he did not contact Alison O'Riordan about this story - presumably she contacted him. He didn't confirm that drugs were being left on doorsteps in this manner, but simply that _if_ it was happening, that Gardai should be contacted.

I plan to contact the Docklands authority and the Gardai to find out if this is happening.

EDIT: I just rang Pearse St garda station. The garda did me a favour of asking around the station to see if anything like this has happened, and confirmed there'd been no mention of it. Needless to say, his laughter indicated that the idea of drug dealers leaving drugs outside doors in the off chance of hooking a young sexy professional wasn't one he took seriously.

P.
    wonder if i should mention that in the email
    I'm having a bit of block coming up with it at the moment
    Sir,
    I write in relation to Alison O'Riordan's article "Snow left at doors" published on the 31st October.
    I note with disappointment that this article echoes very closely an article published by the Herald on the 21st October "New danger drug Snow Blow is sweeping the city", Cormac Byrne. Some of the paragraphs bear remarkable similarity.
    I also noted that Alison O'Riordan's more recent article used copyright material from Soccerphile.
    Once again, apparent use of copyright material takes away from the credibility of her article.

might just have a think about it and send it tomorrow isntead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Around here, if any white powders mysteriously show up where not expected, the first thought that comes to mind is not drugs.

It's 'Anthrax'

Heck, I've been vaccinated against the stuff, and I'm not about to sniff any random white powders...

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

P.

I think I remember reading that a while back, an article about a prospective flatmate who wore lederhosen and quote 'loved the fatherland and efficiency.' WTF?? :P Was that what was plagiarised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Around here, if any white powders mysteriously show up where not expected, the first thought that comes to mind is not drugs.

It's 'Anthrax'

Heck, I've been vaccinated against the stuff, and I'm not about to sniff any random white powders...

NTM

You're more likely to catch it off sheep than terrorist powders....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Great article, couldnt of writ it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Is there a thread here about the German article she wrote? I didn't know about that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Camroc2010

Alison is one big liar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Charlie Sheen's on the blower as we type.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh dear....

she should stick to writing about her negative equity. God knows shes written and rewritten it so often its actually starting to resemble an article of some sort.

if i try to imagine her coming up with her topics i imagine a 9 year old girl at the kitchen table in pigtails writing with a pink crayon with little lovehearts dotting the i's.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

There was a bit of white paper outside my door this morning. I bet there was snow on it before the wind picked up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If the quotes from that McGibbon lad are any way accurate he has no business being part of any drugs task force. Drug dealers are now "under ground" in a sense? Amazing insight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

G to the E to the E to the B to A to the G! -Broadsheet.ie.

Having only just stumbled upon the exploits of this idiotic wench i couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you've sent a message to the editor could you copy and paste it here, perhaps others could use it as a template to com....huh, that would a bit ironic considering the circumstances.:P

:D

Well this is the one my husband sent about the most recent article, just in case anyone wants inspiration. It's CopyLeft;)

I am not writing to have my letter published I am writing to inform you, that I take issue with the quality of the journalism in the piece by Alison O'Riordan.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/snow-left-at-doors-to-entice-a-new-breed-of-addicts-2401378.html

Firstly considering that your paper printed a clarification about a previous article, in which journalist in question was exposed as passing off a different article as her own first hand experience, I am sceptical from the get go about her claims over this "snow blow" incident.

To wit. Why wasn't this story covered by any other national, or local media? How were the Gardai capable of quickly establishing the specific drug mephedrone? Did the journalist in question give the names of the Gardai in charge of the investigation for verification to her editor at the paper? Why does the article not include first hand quotes from residents who found the drugs and officers investigating the incident?

At best this was a poorly written piece, about a important criminal act. I am frankly suspicious about this story, and will make a complaint to the press complaints commission if I am not satisfied by your answers.

If this is not the correct avenue to speak to the editor, please can you contact me as to the correct channels. Failure to contact me within a fortnight, will result in my escalation of this complaint , to the press complaints commission, as a possible breach of a section one of the code of practices.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Is there a thread here about the German article she wrote? I didn't know about that...

Don't think so but there's one on the Pin:

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?p=439930#p439930

P>

Advertisement