Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Informed Performance Submission Mini Leagues 2- November 27th

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

What? No about 200g!

FAO: Sheena O'Loughlin (ITMMA) and Konrad Iowanowksi (Macaco)
    You guys are the only ones in your divisions so I'm afraid there will be no matches for you. Hopefully this gets to you. Due to organisational workload I wasn't able to confirm this until late this evening.

Hope to see you there to spectate in any case.

See everyone there at 10am tomorrow!

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Is today's competition still going ahead with the snow?

Luckily lads we were originally planning to have the competition indoors so yes, it's still going ahead.

Just be careful getting here everyone and we will allow for delays. I'm going to open the weigh in wondow for an additional hour (until 11.45am) and we will aim for a 12pm start time.

It's not too bad around these parts but please be careful on the roads on your way. My number is 085-8320174 for anyone who is going to be late just let me know by text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Leep

Decision taken by tallaght mma (ittma and spartan) not to risk driving up. Lads pretty devastated! Don't think conditions are that bad around m50 and from what I hear Glasnevin is fine as well but parts of tallaght are pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

Really gutted our guys could not compete today. We were looking forward to taking part in it.

Unfortunately due to the roads and weather and the fact we seen someone spin out in front of us on our way to meet up at our club, we decided we could not risk the drive.

Hope the competition went well, and we will make it out to the next one weather permitting.

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

The competition is going great guns...3 divisions of teens...a stacked advance division as always...sorry that you guys couldn't make it as well...you would of had a great time I'm sure.

Great tournament...safe home to all the lads travelling back to Belfast, Newry, Donegal, Carlow, Monaghan and all the others locations far and wide...Barry will have the results up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Unfortunelty our lads had to turn back, when traveling, as the roads were so bad. Hope all went well folks.

Great tournament today.

The last division is just finishing up upstairs. 82 competitors out of the 104 that registered wrapped up warm and travelled. We had apologies from the lads from Pedro Bessa and CCS who couldn't make it from Cork and the lads from ITTMMA who couldn't make it from Tallaght, but other than that we had competitors from:

Next Generation
    IP/Drysdale Jiu Jitsu
    Ryano
    SBG
    Ferocity
    Dog Pound
    Macaco
    Sapo
    PMA (PMS :))
    Primal
    QUB Revolution
    Monaghan MMA
    Coolmine BJJ
    Fightpit
    Mas-F
    Extreme
    Kokoro

Thank you very much for your continued support.

Special thanks go to:
    Chris Leddy, Paul Fox, Shane Fitz, Luke Corcoran, Glen Mulchay, Neil McEvoy, Oisin McCabe, Burke Michael, and Stephen Doyle for their help and support in registration, refereeing and running the divisions.

Most importantly, thank you to the competitors for your sportsmanship and for the respect everyone showed to referees, officials and for the respect shown to our facility. It's as clean as it was when you came.

We hope to do this again in 4 times in 2011, starting in March.

Regards,

Barry

• Advertisement

Liam_B wrote: »
    Unfortunelty our lads had to turn back, when traveling, as the roads were so bad. Hope all went well folks.
    Yeah they got as far as Kildare. I felt sorry for them they'd broken the halfway mark!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

Today was a great day for everyone who braved the weather conditions!! I didn get a chance to see the advanced division as i was reffing the teens but i heard the standard was very high again. Very wel run as always and plenty of good lads floating about. Thanks to Paul Fox for reffing my section!!! Looking forward to the next one of these and all my lads who competed really gained plenty of expirience and will be back for the next one. Im really starting to sense that PMS is gonna stick?? Thanks Barry!!!!

Burke Michael :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That was brilliant. Relax atmosphere and no pressure on lads having to do it for the first time. Annoyed i couldn't do my last two fights after one was stopped only i was advised against competing on my leg again. Still a learning curve and will be looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Really cool tournament, relaxed atmosphere. I was hoping to get a chance to get beaten by Andre Ramos but the draw didnt go that way.

Maybe for the next one, if youre going with sub only, the rounds could be longer for advanced? A lot of super defensive games today!

Chris89 wrote: »
    Really cool tournament, relaxed atmosphere. I was hoping to get a chance to get beaten by Andre Ramos but the draw didnt go that way.

Maybe for the next one, if youre going with sub only, the rounds could be longer for advanced? A lot of super defensive games today!
    Shut up Chris...I told you before...no one cares what you think.

Nice ear muffs by the way...they looked like they kept your ears really toasty.

I actually had an earpiece under them and i was getting secret instructions from royce gracie and jean claude van damme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Great tournament today guys. Absolutely loved the submission only format. Avoids stalling and riding out a decision. Really exciting matches all the way through.

Thanks

Oisin

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

im sure you will get your chance in the future,Andre is a excellent grappler, today was the first time i saw him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

We hope to do this again in 4 times in 2011, starting in March.

Thats so awesome!!:)

yes, 4!

I also forgot to add Royal Combat Club to that list of supporting clubs. Knew I'd forget someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Barry is off judging at BattleZone 1 today so I'd say all the results will be up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Haha. I love it. Fox (if its him) jumps perfectly to make it look like the impact hops him off the ground:D He also looke a little confused as to what to do about it.
    As fair as moments of the day I heard a fairly well spoke young blue belt from Ryano lande a gogo. Is that the 1st in irish competition.

Haha. I love it. Fox (if its him) jumps perfectly to make it look like the impact hops him off the ground:D He also looke a little confused as to what to do about it.
    As fair as moments of the day I heard a fairly well spoke young blue belt from Ryano lande a gogo. Is that the 1st in irish competition.

I heard about the gogo as well, just writing up about it now. Oisin Mc Cabe it was

Not the first gogoplata in Irish competition, in fact not even close. I've seen at least 8 or 9 personally and I don't go to every comp.

Irish grappling is quite old you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

I'd put money on it being the first (of many) ones of these... :P
    http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7769228&id=670528974

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

does anybody have any videos of the advanced section,? i forgot to charge the battary on the camera..

Not the first gogoplata in Irish competition, in fact not even close. I've seen at least 8 or 9 personally and I don't go to every comp.

Irish grappling is quite old you know.
    Ah ive been to a fair few myself over the past couple years. Seen my fair share of attempted ones. Never seen one be finished. Seee n them in training plenty of times too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MichaelDevlin

I saw some guy taking photos of the fights any of them going online?

Yes mate...on the Informed. Performance facebook page you'll find a link to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Just out of interest, what is it about the gogoplata that excites so many BJJ fans?

Is it that it's so difficult to get all the aspects of the move all at once at the required time? It seems to be exalted to a status that no other BJJ tecnique has.

Just curious!

Just out of interest, what is it about the gogoplata that excites so many BJJ fans?

Is it that it's so difficult to get all the aspects of the move all at once at the required time? It seems to be exalted to a status that no other BJJ tecnique has.

Just curious!

The Name.

If it was called " The Thing " it wouldn't be so great!

Unless something called " The Thing " created excitement. Which it probably would....

SanoVitae wrote: »

Just curious!

Its a pretty flashy move with a very low success rate. to do on anyone with a decent skill level it requires either catching them off guard or being very clever with your rubber guard. I find most times a gogo's been pulled off there were 3 other subs available before that appears but still fair balls to ya if you catch someone with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Just curious!

Flashy low percentage moves don't excite me. Someone who can land one of their signature submissions, time and time again, against an opponent of equal skill level, that excites me.
    How many Gogoplatas has Marcelo Garcia landed? Or Roger Gracie, or BJ Penn or Gunnar Nelson?
    They've landed loads of rear naked chokes, North south chokes, collar chokes, guillotines, armbars etc. High percentage, perfectly timed and combined submissions. That's exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think the estonian's call these things 'goofy' submissions and don't put a whole lot of weight in them except for the goofiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Its a pretty flashy move with a very low success rate. to do on anyone with a decent skill level it requires either catching them off guard or being very clever with your rubber guard. I find most times a gogo's been pulled off there were 3 other subs available before that appears but still fair balls to ya if you catch someone with it.

Basically bang on. Was trying to pry open a triangle from rubber guard..he defended well so switched to an armbar but his elbow was too far retracted so instead went for the angle to attempt an omoplate or sweep, he pushed back in hard and his chin slid over the foot. Reached around to grab my foot for the choke but he was looking to the side and it wasn't on the throat. Tried to extend and he slipped his arm out so I had to modify it to get the tap.

Short version..failed on 3 other sub attempts before catching what was available.

Gogo's like many things are low percentage but its a trick up the sleeve. The most impressive thing I've ever seen in BJJ was Roger Gracie's clean sweep all by mounted chokes.

Oisin

Quick question:

Do total novices in BJJ ever enter this competitions?

I'm taking up BJJ in January. I'm aware that you "roll" from the very beginning so you're immediately competing against people who are better than you.

While I know I'd get my ass handed to me very quickly, I'd be very motivated by the prospect of training for something.

Is this encouraged or frowned upon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Quick question:

I'm taking up BJJ in January. I'm aware that you "roll" from the very beginning so you're immediately competing against people who are better than you.

While I know I'd get my ass handed to me very quickly, I'd be very motivated by the prospect of training for something.

First 6 months of BJJ are tough, i felt very helpless! but the nature of the sport makes it very enjoyable:) Once you pick up the fundamentals it gets a lot easier.

Training partners are there to help, ask tons of questions and roll as much as possible:)

If you are training 4 times a week you will pick it up fast, best example I know is Kamil from SBG, trained hard 5 days a week and got to blue belt in 8 months!

Set a goal for the next Dublin open:) thats probably in febuary or march:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Quick question:

I only started training in September, competed in the Irish championships in October and got bronze, then competed in the informed performance comp a few weeks ago and got gold. Basically, competing has helped me improve hugely and it's good for finding out where your weak points are. Already I know that my top game is weak as hell and I instinctively pull guard but this became far more apparent in competition.

Most importantly, comps are fun!!

I only started training in September, competed in the Irish championships in October and got bronze, then competed in the informed performance comp a few weeks ago and got gold.

You are BJ Penn and I claim my €5!

Fantastic work - I definitely think competition would inspire me.

You are BJ Penn and I claim my €5!

Fantastic work - I definitely think competition would inspire me.

Not quite BJ, I did say Irish champs!! It's split by both weight and experience so you wouldn't be out of your depth! It probably depends on who, where your training, I'm lucky to have a savage coach and great training partners!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Banks

I only started training in September, competed in the Irish championships in October and got bronze, then competed in the informed performance comp a few weeks ago and got gold. Basically, competing has helped me improve hugely and it's good for finding out where your weak points are. Already I know that my top game is weak as hell and I instinctively pull guard but this became far more apparent in competition.

Most importantly, comps are fun!!

Do you have a background in any other martial arts? Started a month and half ago and still trying to get the basics!

Banks wrote: »
    Do you have a background in any other martial arts? Started a month and half ago and still trying to get the basics!

Well I had done Karate for a few years but that doesn't help whatsoever. I suppose I had watched a lot of videos like the submissions 101 vids on YouTube. My brother also does it so I had someone to practice with. It's all about time really, I'm still learning the basics too! You can still compete and do well if you have a few go-to moves, escapes and a gameplan.

Well I had done Karate for a few years but that doesn't help whatsoever. I suppose I had watched a lot of videos like the submissions 101 vids on YouTube. My brother also does it so I had someone to practice with. It's all about time really, I'm still learning the basics too! You can still compete and do well if you have a few go-to moves, escapes and a gameplan.

Yeah I know its all about the hours!! Doin about 4-8hrs a week at the moment but hoping to do alot more in Jan as Im moving to the states for 5 months, so ill be training here http://www.teammegaton.net/

Im sure that will improve my game!!

Where u train?? SBG?

• Advertisement

Banks wrote: »
    Yeah I know its all about the hours!! Doin about 4-8hrs a week at the moment but hoping to do alot more in Jan as Im moving to the states for 5 months, so ill be training here http://www.teammegaton.net/

Im sure that will improve my game!!

Where u train?? SBG?

Then your doing as much, if not more than me! I'm jealous, would love to go over to the US to train but haven't got the money! Thinking of maybe goin over to Roger Gracies in London next summer.

Im training in Next Generation but would also train in SBG if/when I could afford both. Where are you training in Ireland?

Then your doing as much, if not more than me! I'm jealous, would love to go over to the US to train but haven't got the money! Thinking of maybe goin over to Roger Gracies in London next summer.

Im training in Next Generation but would also train in SBG if/when I could afford both. Where are you training in Ireland?

Done a few classes in SBG, but have done most of my training Tony Souza (Black belt) in Kokoro and train in Informed performance so gona start BJJ there as well!

What weight u come 3rd in the Irish open??

Off topic but megaton is easily the most badass nickname in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Cyborg

Yeah agree!

• Advertisement
Advertisement