Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19 getting into copper face jacks it is possible ?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

hi just wondering would it be possible or are they really strict on the being over 20 only one in group that not everyone else older anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

And I wonder why a 19yo wants to go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Depends if you go up with regulars and the chaps on the door recognise them easy enough to get in without any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

19, aren't you a bit old to be going to coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

oh to be 19 again and have the worries of a 19 year old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

As far as I know, with I.D. you can't be turned away on age if you're over 18.
    There'll be plenty of gaurds there, you can ask you of them for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I believe Coppers has an age policy of 21 and over. I don't know if this is strictly enforced, I guess it all depends on whether or not they decide to ask you for your ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CianRyan wrote: »

ROAR.

They can turn away anybody they feel like.

In my experience getting past over 21's bull is easier if you're in early, but overall is hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

CianRyan wrote: »

As long as they have a clear policy and stick to it they can make a club over 20's or over 21's if they want.

However, what they aren't allowed do is change the policy on a whim. So if Copper's is always over 20's then they're perfectly entitled to refuse someone who is 19 admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Barna77 wrote: »
    And I wonder why a 19yo wants to go there...
    Where someone chooses to go on a night out is their own business tbh. Don't begrudge just because it's not your scene.
    ROAR.

They can turn away anybody they feel like.

In my experience getting past over 21's bull is easier if you're in early, but overall is hit and miss.
    Technically it's the management that reserve right to refuse or allow admission. If the bouncers are supplied from a 3rd party company on hire and not directly hired as management staff from coppers itself then they can't refuse entry in some cases.

Example, if the place is strictly an over 20's or over 21's policy then the bouncers can enforce this and refuse entry as they'd be instructed by management to do so.

If the place doesn't have a strict age policy and you're over 18 then the only grounds they'd have to refuse you is if you're barred or too drunk or something.

Then to top it off, if the bouncers are employed directly by the club, they have the right to refuse and allow anybody entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Over 21s policies are illegal and you can make a few K from it if you are bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They can refuse whoever they want with the lovely 'not tonight'.

I find getting into Coppers easier later on, around 12, half 12 or later, I'm 22 but there's ALWAYS one who's 20 and has problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If they refuse you because of age they wont say it's due to age, to avoid breaking any laws. All they have to say is "not tonight" and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Scambuster wrote: »
    Over 21s policies are illegal and you can make a few K from it if you are bothered.

Over 21's policies aren't illegal. Once there is a visible sign at the front entrance that states it's over 21's then they are perfectly entitled to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Scambuster wrote: »

Lol,how apt a name and post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Even if it was illegal and you got a garda they could just say they refused you for hundred different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Over-21's policy is not illegal.
    You can't be refused for any auld reason, for example if you are part of any of the groups listed in the equal status act, you can't be refused for that reason e.g. member of traveling community, sexual orientation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Illegal or not, the law is different in Coppers (not that I was ever in it).

It seems, somehow, drunker or something.

Just stumbled across this thread looking for something about culchie gardai btw :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

hi just wondering would it be possible or are they really strict on the being over 20 only one in group that not everyone else older anyway

Its usually over 21s. They can sometimes let you in regardless, however if they need an excuse not to let you in they will pull out the 21 rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If you're a girl they'll let you in no problem, if you're a lad they won't unless you're with a girl. I've just been waved in the twice I've been there though. To be honest I don't see why it's so successful. It's really average music, over priced drink with no promotions, walls and floor don't seem the cleanest and really overpacked. If you're into that sort of thing go but you're not missing out on much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im 19 and i get into coppers

sometimes iv gone with a regular crowd that goes there and dont get asked for i.d either , i dress smartly aswell so that might be a part of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

you can't be refused for that reason e.g. member of traveling community, sexual orientation etc.

Funny, I've had friends refused entry to Tripod on the grounds that they were "too straight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Over-21's policy is not illegal.
    You can't be refused for any auld reason, for example if you are part of any of the groups listed in the equal status act, you can't be refused for that reason e.g. member of traveling community, sexual orientation etc.

You can and will be refused for all those reasons, the business just won't be stupid enough to say that's why they're refusing you. They'll pass it off by sayign you're too drunk or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Just for the record - there was a brief period a few years back when over-21 policies were against the law under age discrimination but that was quickly amended.

Advertisement