Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird driving habits in Carlow Town

Options
  • 01-11-2010 2:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I'm a blow in living in Castledermot so allow me to make an observation.
    The end of Kennedy Avenue where it tees onto Barrack Street.
    Why do cars turning left here just past the Ulster Bank think that the red lights on Barrack Street apply to them ?.
    About once a week some numpty makes this turn & then just stops at the lights at Abrakebabra.
    Is there some local rule I'm not aware of ?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

It's a known fact culchies cant turn right!

I have seen this and while it is strange, I can understand the potential for confusion given the layout of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Yeah It seems to be people not from the town who are at this,

Do as I do... Sit on the horn and shake a fist.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

@ WMJ

Probably all our Dublin Blow-ins.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

though pedestrians do cross there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

tombull82 wrote: »
    Yeah It seems to be people not from the town who are at this,

Do as I do... Sit on the horn and shake a fist.. :D

The look of disgust on their faces when you pull out around them.
    Worst thing is then the pedestrians crossing over to the Fairgreen think they're been let go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I see it everyday cars turning Left up barrack st stopping at the Red lights that dont apply to them, To be honest the council hav a lot to answer to here. those traffic lighs are too far that T Junction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I have seen this and while it is strange, I can understand the potential for confusion given the layout of the lights.

Happens when you turn right too, often sat behind in my culchie car blowing at a gob****e who stops at the lights end up shouting out the window that the red lights are stopping the main traffic to let them turn. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Another issue with this junction is traffic coming from the coach park. If you are turning right here when you get the green filter light the traffic exiting the coach park also have a green light, particularly dangerous if traffic from coach park is going straight. Be interesting to see the outcome if there was ever a collision here as both parties would have been following the traffic signals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to twist your neck to see the red light....then chances are it's not for you!! time for some people to revisit their rules of the road book :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Nead21 wrote: »
    As a general rule of thumb, if you have to twist your neck to see the red light....then chances are it's not for you!! time for some people to revisit their rules of the road book :rolleyes:

What degree of twisting is required before you ignore a red light?!

@tombull82, @homerhop just to confirm, I am a culchie, I include the word "quare" as part of my vocabulary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

thats quare good to know there lad

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I'm a blow in living in Castledermot so allow me to make an observation.
    The end of Kennedy Avenue where it tees onto Barrack Street.
    Why do cars turning left here just past the Ulster Bank think that the red lights on Barrack Street apply to them ?.
    About once a week some numpty makes this turn & then just stops at the lights at Abrakebabra.
    Is there some local rule I'm not aware of ?.

It's very annoying , People turn the corner and see the red light which is stopping traffic driving from Hanover direction and this its for them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

What degree of twisting is required before you ignore a red light?!

the degree of neck twisting thats required to look for a red light that clearly doesn't apply to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most of the people that stop at the pedestrian crossings on barrack street when they are coming from kennedy avenue are just after going through an amber or red signal and on seeing the pedestrian crossing they slam on the brakes not wanting to drive through the pedestrian crossing on a red light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

But Carlow is still in the pale - the walls of Carlow castle marked the boundary, so all youse this side of the wall are jackeens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People incapable of driving correctly in Carlow?

What a shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

91011 wrote: »
    But Carlow is still in the pale - the walls of Carlow castle marked the boundary, so all youse this side of the wall are jackeens!!

The Kennedy Avenue/Barrack St junction is/was outside the boundary walls of Carlow Castle. (if we accept your definition of Pale boundaries) Hence, we would be driving in a cultchie area, with the cultchie rules of the road in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

91011 wrote: »
    the pale never made it past Harristown.

Advertisement