Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo trainer recommendation needed.

• 01-11-2010 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

I've been planning on buying a turbo trainer for a while but every time I'm just about to make the purchase I read a review that scares me away from that particular model.

My main consideration is noise I think. I have no clue how noisy these trainers can be I'm afraid. I live in a house and am sharing with another person. The floor in my room is carpet but it's directly over the sitting room. So it could generate some complaints if it's too loud.

Some models I have been considering are the tacx satori and the cycleops fluid 2. I've read countless reviews on both. If you take the Satori for example, some reviews say that it's nice and quiet, and then you can find others that compare it to a loud dentist drill or the turbo in a car starting up :confused: The satori seems to be the best out of the two as far as money vs. quality of use you get from it. The resistance settings seem to be top notch.

I've found some video's on youtube that show a guy using the satori, it sounds loud but not too bad. But with nothing to compare it to it's hard to know for sure.

Do any of you have either of these two trainers, if so whats you opinion of it?
    Can you give me a comparison as to how noisy they actually are compared some household appliance for example (hard to gauge I know)?
    Would it be noisy enough to drive the housemate in the sitting room below my room nuts?

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Satori. It's about as loud as a hairdryer, but lower pitched. Whether this is acceptable depends on context; I don't appreciate someone using a hairdryer in my bedroom at 6am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tripper167

Lumen wrote: »
    I have a Satori. It's about as loud as a hairdryer, but lower pitched. Whether this is acceptable depends on context; I don't appreciate someone using a hairdryer in my bedroom at 6am.

Hi Lumen, thanks for your reply. Neither would I :), I'd only be using the trainer in the evenings around 6 or 7 PM just after work, that's my regular time for going for a spin.

That actually doesn't sound too bad really. The house mate shouldn't really hear that too much over the tv downstairs if I put an extra mat between the trainer and the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I have the satori and its quiet solid loads of resistance no need for the big ring better to stay in the small ring with more resistance the trainer is quieter this way also, i had a tacx sirius before the tacx and that was loud , im guessing the more you spend the quieter they get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

All the trainers will make less noise training at lower speeds, the satori is loud enough if your in the big ring with mid level reistance and something like 53/19 , you ll hear it over a tv or radio not very pleasant for other people around

I went ahead and bought the satori a little while ago. I bought a continental training tyre also as I've heard it helps quite a bit.

I noticed there seems to be a fairly big difference between the different online stores in term of price. One online shop (not sure if I'm allowed to name them) had it for 191euro with free shipping and another online store that I use a lot for other stuff had it for 236euro and you pay for shipping.

Looking forward to getting it, setting it up and tying it out. Should have it by next Monday hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I've a question on turbo trainers - does the bike spray much stuff up off them?

The reason I ask is that I don't have a garage, so it would have to be used indoors and I wouldn't fancy trying to get oil slicks off the walls!

I keep the bike pretty clean these days, but it wouldn't be spotless all week

A thought that occured to me last night was how dangerous is sweat to my bike. It has a carbon fiber frame, which I read isn't affected too much by sweat (I'd probably need to give it a wipe down anyways) but what components should I be most worried about when it comes to corrosion caused by sweat? And what precautions can I take to make sure I don't mess up any parts of my bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rowery

I bought this recently and find it great, shipping cost about 15 Eur because there is a 5 Eur surcharge for bulky items but the price still comes in best with that. I got a couple of training videos from sufferfest aswell which are quite good. I have it out in the shed so as sad as I am I timed myself setting it up in the living room, including changing the wheel to the spare with the training tyre on it, 15 mins and we were ready to go.

With regards to corosion, I was tempted by a fancy protector but a towel over the headset and a quick wipe down afterwards is all you need. With our weather it's bound to get a good rinse down at some stage anyway.

I put a yoga matt under it, I have wooden floors and this dampens out most of the noise, you're going to be blaring out the sounds anyway so you won't even hear it !!! Have fun !

Advertisement