Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB

Options
  • 01-11-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I've decided to start my own log after been involved in RK's DCM Sub 4:30 mentored thread. I haven't gone out for a run since DCM but plan to get the first out of the way this evening.

So a bit about me, 28 male, 12 and a half stone. Weight probably needs to come down a bit.

Previous PBs.

10k: 54:33 (Kilkenny, Sep 2009)
    Half: 1:58:47 (Dublin, 18/09/2010)
    Full: 4:26:30 (DCM, 25/10/2010)

The aim is to close out 2010 with a Sub 50 10k ( race recommendations welcome). The focus for 2011 is to go sub 1:50 for the half (Waterford is too close) and the main goal is to go Sub 4 for the full.

I've ordered P&D advanced marathoning just to have a read, might be too advanced for me yet, but might use some of their 18 week/55 mile plan along with HH intermediate plan for Cork on June weekend.

All tips on how to improve speed welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the marathon and best of luck with the log. I didn't realise we were that close in the Half, we literally must have been side by side for the entire thing!

I started reading advanced marathoning the other night - it's well out of my league but it's really interesting.

The Movemeber 10k is on in the park on 20 November (don't know if it's chipped though) and the aware 10k is usually early December (although that turned out to only by 9k last year...). Probably not the best choices I've offered you there so! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

The aim is to close out 2010 with a Sub 50 10k ( race recommendations welcome).

Nobber, Co. Meath 19th December

Navan, Co. Meath 26th December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on a great time in DCM and weclome to the logs. Best of luck with the sub 50 10km - on my bucket list for next year so will be keeping a close eye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the log. Your times are very good, you'll have no bother improving on those! I suppose we're all in the same boat, lots of improving to be done..... and WILL be done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with the new log and goals and congrats on your 1st marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

1st Nov: 3 miles Avg Pace 9:07

Splits: 9:16 8:55 9:07

First run since DCM and the legs were heavy. According to McMillan these miles are too fast for an easy run and too slow for a steady state run for a Sub 50 10k. Were these just junk miles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck with your new goals brophyA.

I love the log title. Strangely enough I have a book on my shelf entitled TB or not TB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck - you've got pretty much the same goals as me at the moment! :)

2nd Nov: Rest

3rd Nov:
    4 miles Avg Pace 8:51

Splits: 9:07 7:57 9:33 8:39

I decided to try and run a mile at Sub 50 10k pace. It was tough. I think i'll have to leave that goal until early 2011.

So looking for a 10k run around Jan/Feb and a good training plan, maybe 8-12 weeks??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So looking for a 10k run around Jan/Feb and a good training plan, maybe 8-12 weeks??

Don't know any 10k runs around that time, but the Raheny 5 is a very good race, end of January. 5 miles = 8k, thereabouts

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't know any 10k runs around that time, but the Raheny 5 is a very good race, end of January. 5 miles = 8k, thereabouts

Cheers Ray, tempting, always good to get a new PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

2nd Nov: Rest

I decided to try and run a mile at Sub 50 10k pace. It was tough. I think i'll have to leave that goal until early 2011.

Brophya,

From what i see in your log, this is only your second or third run since DCM. Much too soon to be worrying about upping your training paces.
    Give yourself a week or two of easy running to let your body fully recover before worrying about picking up the pace.

Good luck with your goals. I am sure that with the marathon base in you, you will fly through the list and be looking at some new goals very soon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

10K IN eNNISCORTHY FEB AND DUNGARVAN late feb early march. Since you ran the kk 10km they are prob close to you. Prob do both myself.
    It wont take much to get them down. Just a little structure to your training,
    Long one, Tempo, Interval and easy run if you want to run 4 days......

10K IN eNNISCORTHY FEB AND DUNGARVAN late feb early march. Since you ran the kk 10km they are prob close to you. Prob do both myself.
    It wont take much to get them down. Just a little structure to your training,
    Long one, Tempo, Interval and easy run if you want to run 4 days......

Thanks Village Runner, based in Limerick but there's not much races around here.

What exactly is a tempo run and what structure should intervals take, 400s or 800s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Village Runner, based in Limerick but there's not much races around here.

What exactly is a tempo run and what structure should intervals take, 400s or 800s?

A tempo is where you run at a consistently good pace for a sustained period of time. Pace is normally 10mile-HM Pace. A tempo session would look something like: 2 miles easy-4 miles tempo-2 miles easy.

Intervals should be done closer to your 5k-10k pace. So something like 10 x 400m or 5 x 800m can be done at 5k pace (with jog recoveries). For 10k specific training, maybe throw in a few longer intervals, e.g. 6-8 x 1k or 4-5 x 1mile at goal 10k pace......

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

You are in much the same place as me. My PBs are very similar to yours and my goals are the same, 50 min 10K and 4hr marathon. I am undecided what to do next though, whether to do a marathon in the spring or concentrate on 5 and 10Ks. At the moment, I am leaning towards the 10Ks. Ran 4 miles fast-ish today and really enjoyed it, compared to the LSRs in marathon training.

I shall follow your progress with interest. Best of luck.

Advertisement