Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Army Cadetship

• 01-11-2010 2:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭

I was just wondering is there any difference in the application process between the Irish Army and British Army Officer Cadets?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Irish Army:

Send application
    Aptitude tests

Overnight Stay

Fitness tests
    Group assessment
    Personality questionnaire
    Young officer briefing
    Realistic job preview

Structured Interview
    Medical

British Army:

Send application
    Initial interview
    AOSB Briefing - 2 days

Main Board - 4 days
    Pre-commissioning course briefing

I don't know the full details of the AOSB briefing and Main Board but it's all the usual things like aptitude tests, medicals, interviews, group exercises, planning exercises and fitness tests.

I think there's also a couple of familiarisation visits with the Corps/Regiments you're interested in joining at some stage between the initial interview and AOSB briefing.

Time taken for Irish Army process ~4 months between initial application and commencing the course.

British Army can vary widely from what I've read, anywhere between 6 months at the speedy end and over a year at the slower end.

Edit:

I should add, probably the biggest difference in the two application processes is that the Irish Army is an annual competition where as the British Army is a continual recruitment process.

There's a set number of places each year for the Irish Army e.g. 21 this year and one intake where as the British Army does not have a rigid set number of places (as far as I'm aware) and there are three, much larger intakes each year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Amusing, yet utterly off-topic thread diversion deleted.

Advertisement