Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky door to door call...

Options
  • 01-11-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just had a Sky door to door call.

Poor guy never got as far as the offer...

I told him I'd cancelled Sky because they were too expensive compared to the UK prices even for basic packages, he felt they weren't and I was the first person to say that to him!

Said I could get all I wanted through Freesat... But you can't record he says...

Yes I can I have a Humax Box - never heard of them says he... but you can buy a Sky Box Sub free for €350 sub free to record on!

Off he went on his way :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Had one of these callers, they are taking a very aggressive line to pushing their product, similar to the airtricity guys, and i'm not sure its a good tactic in Ireland, think it just pishes people off.

I also told the girl that they are shockingly expensive compared to UPC for the same package I have, but she kept insisting they were cheaper. Add in charges for ESPN, Setanta, HD and 1xmultiroom with Sky and a phone line ofr interactivity or whatever, but there was still no convincing her??:confused:

Told her not to waste anymore of hers or my time and sent her packing. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

Rented house not interested bye

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Never ever buy something from
    • Door to Door
    • Unsolicited email (that's spam)
    • Flyer through letterbox
    • Cold phone call (voice spam)

If it sounds interesting, go an research and buy it separately if you still want.

Door to Door should be banned.
    The people are usually not true employees of the company but working for an Agency on commission, so the company can deny all responsibility. They are usually not trained. They are usually on commission only to tempted to lie to make a sale.
    It's spam where a poor Human is exploited to do the Spamming rather than an automated bot net (where most email spam is sent from).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

watty wrote: »
    Never ever buy something from
    • Door to Door
    • Unsolicited email (that's spam)
    • Flyer through letterbox
    • Cold phone call (voice spam)

If it sounds interesting, go an research and buy it separately if you still want.

The people are usually not true employees of the company but working for an Agency on commission, so the company can deny all responsibility. They are usually not trained. They are usually on commission only to tempted to lie to make a sale.
    It's spam where a poor Human is exploited to do the Spamming rather than an automated bot net (where most email spam is sent from).

If the person knows what they're talking about when they call at least hear them out.I know a lot of these sales people are poorly trained and just sent out to sell.It's very easy to sort the wheat from the chaff.People are inherantly lazy and find it too much effort to research anything and hate ringing call centres to place an order so find that when somebody calls offering a service they want it cuts out all effort on their part.Personally I hate people who call and are ignorant of the service they are trying to sell or blatantly lie just to get a sale.They give the people who are actually trying to do the right thing a bad name but at least take each caller on their merits-if they are professional and know their stuff give them a few minutes of your time,if they aren't just say no thanks-simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

mollser wrote: »
    similar to the airtricity guys

At least they have a well priced product to sell - although I have now met 3 of them in 3 months.

I object to cold callers - who persist after you have said 'no thank you' - that makes me mad (and rude).

My general rule is no to cold callers - for the last 20 years or so. But twice in the last 3 months I have bitten - because I was already strongly considering switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mollser wrote: »
    Had one of these callers, they are taking a very aggressive line to pushing their product, similar to the airtricity guys..........

The Airtricity guys and the Sky guys are the same people. Same companies, they all work under the umbrella of a company called "Cobra". It's basically a pyramid scheme.

I worked for one of these companies for a few days before i figured out the scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BingoMingo

watty wrote: »

It's the ultimate invasion of your privacy.
    Buying at the doorstep encourages the practice.

Also include politicians canvassing at the doorstep.
    You are entitled to some peace in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I hate when the postman puts letters in my letterbox,he does it all the time.:) No peace in my own home.
    Personally I don't mind someone calling to my door,if I'm not interested I just say no thanks,no need to be rude.Some of the posts here are amazing-you'd swear these people out doing their job had the plague the way they're being spoken about.As I said in an earlier post-if they know their stuff and it's something you're interested in hear them out.On the subject of politicians calling-I can't wait for a FF canvasser to knock my door-then I won't be so polite.

Advertisement