Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Souper Soup Thread [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The first pic looks so much more apatising to me. I like my soups brothy with lots of pieces in it. Just made another huge batch of (what i refer to as) minestrone. 6 dinners in the freezer now ready to defrost when i'm not up to cooking. Nomnom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

dibkins wrote: »
    I like my soups brothy with lots of pieces in it.

Can't remember who mentioned it here, but a good tip for this is just to remove some of the veg before whizzing up the soup and add back in when complete.

I made lovely carrot soup on Sunday

Loire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

With the weather turning chilly I had a browse back through the thread looking for a quick soup to make for lunch, and settled on fred funk's broccoli soup (post #35). It's delicious, and it's going to be a regular for me. I hadn't got any cream but I don't think it needs it, unless you like a creamy soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was shivering today too so I decided to make soup out of the sorry looking veg left in the drawer. Onion, carrot, broccoli, a few cherry tomatoes, chicken stock and some salt and paprika. Really nice and surprisingly thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I never sweat the veg if making a bog standard mixed veg soup. Just peel, chop and drop - into a pot of stock. Cook till veg is softened, then blend with a hand held yoke. Always turns out great for my taste anyway.

Anyone else take the easy way out like this?

I suppose I will discover the error of my ways if I actually DID sweat the small stuff someday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Does anyone have a good recipe for traditional Polish chicken broth?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

With the weather turning colder I'm reviving this thread to share my new favourite, spicy roast veg & mixed bean soup :)

2 large or 3 medium carrots, cut into sticks
    1 medium onion, cut into chunks
    1 red or yellow pepper, cut into chunks (you can also add courgette, butternut squash etc)
    4-5 whole cloves of garlic, skin on
    *Toss the above in olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes at 200C, stirring half way through

1 medium onion, diced
    1 large potato, diced
    A handful of broccoli
    A quarter teaspoon of hot chilli powder
    A teaspoon (or to taste) or ras el hanout spice
    A sprig of thyme or a pinch of mixed herbs
    1 tablespoon of tomato purée
    Salt & black pepper
    2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes and one and a half pints of hot water
    *While the other vegetables are roasting, sauté the onion in a little olive oil until it softens, then add the potato and continue cooking on a low heat for a few minutes

Add the stock cubes to the hot water and stir well, then add to pot. Add in the roasted veg and a handful of broccoli, spices, salt & black pepper and herbs, and tomato purée. Squish out the roasted garlic and add it. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, then mash thoroughly with a potato masher. Add a drained and rinsed tin of mixed beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Lately I’d about 4 peppers nearing their end if productive life.

So I chanced making some soup.

I roasted peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and a tin of sweet corn. Drizzled over with olive oil and balsamic.
    Roasted until turning up but not too over coloured.

Blitzed With waNd thingy.

Mixed with about 500mls water with 2 stock pots in.

Brought to boil and then simmered low for 20mins...

It was fabulous and those peppers were only going to bin anyway so it was well worth the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Baked some sweet potatoes yesterday. Today I blitzed them with some veg stock, onion and garlic. Unfortunately I've run out of coconut milk, and I can't be arsed going to the shop so the rest of the soup will have to wait till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good time of year to bump this thread.

Was wondering does anyone have a recommendation for a stick blender than can get soups really smooth and silky? The one I have at the moment is a 20 quid Salter and isnt really up to the task no matter how long you blend it there is always still a grainy texture to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe too simple an idea for all these wonderful recipes... but I have found that adding an apple to any soup gives it a freshness..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe too simple an idea for all these wonderful recipes... but I have found that adding an apple to any soup gives it a freshness..

I have parsnips, I have apples...

In sheer self defence I put dried peas to soak last night and cut a chunk off a bacon joint... SOUP is obligatory in this weather.... Will add an apple and ?onion? ##mmmmm!

Turned out very well and perfect for the current weather.. Hot and sustaining as all good soup is.

Think I might make a pumpkin soup next week seeing as they should be in stock in Aldi for Halloween. Anyone know do you have to peel the pumpkin or can it just go in with skin given its going to be blended anyway.

And whats some good spices to go with pumpkin, would presume cumin would work well?

I have to admit that I no longer have the stamina for recipes etc but the chicken soup I made yesterday was the best!

Just a chicken drumstick ( dark meat has more flavour), a halved onion skin still on ( for colour) , frozen carrot chunks and lentils. Simmered long and gently Removed the onion skin and chicken bone, then blended. Just a little salt.

Perfect for the chilly day it was , today as well.

Simple old soul here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have to admit that I no longer have the stamina for recipes etc but the chicken soup I made yesterday was the best!

Just a chicken drumstick ( dark meat has more flavour), a halved onion skin still on ( for colour) , frozen carrot chunks and lentils. Simmered long and gently Removed the onion skin and chicken bone, then blended. Just a little salt.

Perfect for the chilly day it was , today as well.

Simple old soul here!

I have to confess I have never made chicken soup, as I never liked the smell of chicken bone stock, as a child.

But this looks very achievable and delicious. I love lentils.

Looking forward to soup making season!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I have to confess I have never made chicken soup, as I never liked the smell of chicken bone stock, as a child.

But this looks very achievable and delicious. I love lentils.

Looking forward to soup making season!

Amy meat bone will be great. I don't eat beef or lamb any more but always have chicken in for the cats.

Most butchers will still give beef bones free. I used to get them for the dogs Great for soup. As is barley and all dried pulses. Oh and an apple makes a great addition to soup. MY favourite mail order shopping, Holland and Barrett have a great selection of pulses. Split peas are grand.

Happy soupery!

My fastest ever soup.... a tin of mushy peas, with milk or water added to dilute, and a spoonful of concentrated mint sauce.... whizz till smooth, if you choose. Or leave chunky.. Really hits the spot.. mmmmm

That is quick. Pea and chorizo soup is another fast one, just add those two with chicken stock and you've got a great soup.

Gives a new meaning to "fast food"! Although I have to admit I have never heard of chorizo... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That is quick. Pea and chorizo soup is another fast one, just add those two with chicken stock and you've got a great soup.

If you've boiled a ham/bacon joint, just add a pack of frozen peas and a couple of bit of ham to the cooking water and blend. Pea and ham soup!
    (even better if you throw a carrot, onion and bit of celery in with the joint).

Have never had a pea and ham soup, I remember they used to be on food menus a lot back in the 1980s. Must give it a try out.
    Gives a new meaning to "fast food"! Although I have to admit I have never heard of chorizo... ;)

It is a Spanish cured and spiced sausage, all the main supermarkets would have it. Aldi/Lidl the cheapest at 1.99 for 200g, Supervalues version is a bit more expensive at 3.49 iirc. The trick is to fry it in a pot for a few minutes before adding the chicken stock and peas, that way the chorizo leaks its oils into the soup and gives it a great savoury flavour. The recipe I use is 200g chorizo chopped up, 800g frozen peas and about a ltre of chicken stock. That yeilds 4-5 bowls of soup when blended. Parmasen cheese goes very well on top of it too.

If you've boiled a ham/bacon joint, just add a pack of frozen peas and a couple of bit of ham to the cooking water and blend. Pea and ham soup!
    (even better if you throw a carrot, onion and bit of celery in with the joint).

Now that is far too complicated for me these days. lol... Seriously I keep posting my very basic recipes etc as when I was first on my own so much got wasted. That excellent chicken soup last week fed me two days, then a couple of the cats....

Generally a "solo" does not get eg joints. And often we old wans cannot stay on our feet for long spells? Or afford a lot. I miss my baking bread etc but have no choice. Looking forward to my breadmaker if/when I get it.

Yet we need to eat well and enjoy it. I used to be so exhausted after cooking a full meal I could not eat it. Admire all of you greatly....although I feel very... inferior.

Have never had a pea and ham soup, I remember they used to be on food menus a lot back in the 1980s. Must give it a try out.

It is a Spanish cured and spiced sausage, all the main supermarkets would have it. Aldi/Lidl the cheapest at 1.99 for 200g, Supervalues version is a bit more expensive at 3.49 iirc. The trick is to fry it in a pot for a few minutes before adding the chicken stock and peas, that way the chorizo leaks its oils into the soup and gives it a great savoury flavour. The recipe I use is 200g chorizo chopped up, 800g frozen peas and about a ltre of chicken stock. That yeilds 4-5 bowls of soup when blended. Parmasen cheese goes very well on top of it too.

Ah not for me! Cannot eat spices etc. . Enjoy, as I do my very simple version.I love the flavours of the mint and peas as they are. Ans that it takes so little time and energy to make

SOUP is de rigueur today!

The first really bitterly cold day out here...

And my groceries came last night so I have fresh chicken, and the cats will never know I pinched a portion!

SHIVERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Think I might make a pumpkin soup next week seeing as they should be in stock in Aldi for Halloween. Anyone know do you have to peel the pumpkin or can it just go in with skin given its going to be blended anyway.

And whats some good spices to go with pumpkin, would presume cumin would work well?

I always scooped out the seeds , chopped up & roasted the pumpkin, then scooped the cooked pumpkin off the skin before making soup. Never tried making soup with it uncooked so dunno if I'm much help :D

cheers, was just wondering if it matters to get the skin off or if you can just wash it and go with skin on as it is going to get blended anyway. They are mighty hunks of yolks to be stripping skin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

cheers, was just wondering if it matters to get the skin off or if you can just wash it and go with skin on as it is going to get blended anyway. They are mighty hunks of yolks to be stripping skin off.

Maybe you could take a small chunk & boil it for a bit in water & herbs to see if the skin breaks down? Be hateful to use the whole pumpkin & realise that you need to peel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Soup season then.

Tomato soup last night

1.jpg
    2.jpg

1kg plum/vine tomatoes
    1 large red onion (quartered)
    2 red peppers
    6 cloves garlic (left whole in skins)
    olive oil
    Salt & black pepper
    Teaspoon fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    800 ml chicken stock
    Hot sauce (I use Yellowbird Habanero)
    Balsamic dash
    Two tablespoons butter
    Shot of cognac
    Basil
    2 Bay leaves
    3 or 4 strips of Pancetta

Sourdough bread
    Gruyere cheese
    Garlic clove
    Worcestershire sauce

Cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onion onto a baking tray.

Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes at 210c or until charred.

Remove roasted tomatoes, peppers and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot. Squeeze in juices from garlic and discard.

Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme, butter and cognac. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third. Add balsamic and hot sauce.

Remove bay leaves. Add basil to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Sieve.

Season to taste. Garnish in bowl with basil and crumbled pancetta.

Serve with toasted bread rubbed with garlic and melted gruyere cheese with a splash of Worcestershire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Late reply, but I think those Halloween pumpkins are very bland. If you can try to get hokkaido pumpkin, they are more flavoursome and you can eat the skin.

Advertisement