Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a dog - advice please

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all. My OH and I are looking to rent. We are both in full time jobs and have good references, but we own a dog. He is very good (doesn't chew or bark or anything like that), and we are responsible pet owners. However, I don't think landlords take too kindly to pets no matter how good they are. Does anyone have any advice here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres been a couple of threads on here recently of people having trouble with dogs in rented accomodation; namely that the landlord agreed to it the revoked the permission a short time later.

My advise is if you do find a landlord who allows pets get that agreement very solidly in writing so that it is hard for them to revoke it on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Papsita, I have the same problem every time I move. Both professionals, one medium dog plus a cat. The only thing that seems to work is to meet the agent or owner face to face, make a good impression and then the next day casually mention the dog.

I always offer an additional deposit (equal to one month's rent) specifically for the pets (who have never done any damage and I've always had the deposit returned in full).
    And I have references for both of them from previous Landlords. Of the 4 houses I've rented, only one LL has taken me up on the offer of additional deposit - I guess if I seem willing they're less likely to be concerned that there will be a problem.

Also, try to rent places with carpet rather than wooden floors (because of scratches) and tell them you would like to add a clause in the lease that you will steam clean the carpets upon vacation (you won't need to actually do this if your dog is good). I'm in a place with tiles at the moment, which is the best of all worlds.

Oh, and be prepared to pay over the odds, too. I reckong I pay about €50 a month over market value, but I'm happy.

You might also consider getting a letter of recommendation from a Vet, and showing a copy of your dog licence. And always offer to bring the pet to meet the owner/agent (they usually will decline).

The most important of all those points is to NOT mention the dog before you have seen the property. Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I think it really depends where you are. I've never had a problem with having my dog and cat where I'm renting (it's a lab size dog, so biggish, and he's an indoor dog). Unlike the previous poster, I did mention having pets right away and had no problems- many ads will say 'no pets' if they're not even open to the option. As for price, I don't think you need to pay more- I even got a reduction in my rent last month!
    If you're searching on Daft.ie, you can tick the 'pets allowed' box to screen for those that allow pets, but I've found that many who don't specify on the ad don't mind you at least asking. Offering a higher deposit might be an incentive if you think the landlord is considering allowing the dog.
    I also second ensuring it's in your lease that you are allowed to keep the dog so that you'll have a legal leg to stand on if any problems arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It does depend on where you are looking to rent, in my experience anyway. Properties in the countryside seem to be more open to pets, I assume it's a combination of more outdoor space, distance from neighbours (i.e. houses are detached so less noise travelling if dog barks) and the landlords usually have their own animals themselves so know a dog or cat is not neccessarily going to ruin a house. I do find that landlords who do not have any experience of pets themselves tend to view pets with suspicion.

I have not had problems with landlords with properties in rural areas, it's a different story in urban areas I find. Best thing is to turn up for viewing, make a good impression on the landlord, then enquire about pets. If the dog is a small one, and well housetrained, make sure they know that (seem to accept smaller breeds more easily than bigger dogs). If you have references from your current landlord, that will go a long way towards reassuring them that the dog did not cause problems in your previous tenancy.

You may find that landlords who are initially not amenable to pets will change their minds as they want to get their property rented to reliable tenants. Years ago, even in boom times when properties were in high demand, a landlord initially turned us down because of our small dog, she rang back a two weeks later saying it would be ok if we would guarantee we would keep the dog outside. We had already found another property at that stage (and our dog is an indoor one anyway) but goes to show if they're not getting people in they will be willing to move on some points.

On the flooring issue, I find houses with wooden floors, tiles and lino to be far easier to live in and keep in pristine order when you have pets. Carpets can trap animal hair and smells, much easier to mop and scrub a tiled floor than to steamclean carpets (which I have done in the past when moving out). Also easier to keep clean if the weather is wet (easier to swipe up a few wet pawprints from a tiled floor than from a carpet).

I have never paid over the odds to secure a property whilst having pets. The house we are currently renting (we have a small dog and a cat) is in fact the cheapest house we looked at (all houses were of a similar size and this one is in fact the best maintained and appointed of the lot that we viewed, and has by far the largest garden we had seen), and the LL even hung a gate for us at the end of the drive so we can let the dog run around the garden offlead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

echosound wrote: »
    It does depend on where you are looking to rent, in my experience anyway. Properties in the countryside seem to be more open to pets, I assume it's a combination of more outdoor space, distance from neighbours (i.e. houses are detached so less noise travelling if dog barks) and the landlords usually have their own animals themselves so know a dog or cat is not neccessarily going to ruin a house. I do find that landlords who do not have any experience of pets themselves tend to view pets with suspicion.

I have not had problems with landlords with properties in rural areas, it's a different story in urban areas I find. Best thing is to turn up for viewing, make a good impression on the landlord, then enquire about pets. If the dog is a small one, and well housetrained, make sure they know that (seem to accept smaller breeds more easily than bigger dogs). If you have references from your current landlord, that will go a long way towards reassuring them that the dog did not cause problems in your previous tenancy.

You may find that landlords who are initially not amenable to pets will change their minds as they want to get their property rented to reliable tenants. Years ago, even in boom times when properties were in high demand, a landlord initially turned us down because of our small dog, she rang back a two weeks later saying it would be ok if we would guarantee we would keep the dog outside. We had already found another property at that stage (and our dog is an indoor one anyway) but goes to show if they're not getting people in they will be willing to move on some points.

On the flooring issue, I find houses with wooden floors, tiles and lino to be far easier to live in and keep in pristine order when you have pets. Carpets can trap animal hair and smells, much easier to mop and scrub a tiled floor than to steamclean carpets (which I have done in the past when moving out). Also easier to keep clean if the weather is wet (easier to swipe up a few wet pawprints from a tiled floor than from a carpet).

I have never paid over the odds to secure a property whilst having pets. The house we are currently renting (we have a small dog and a cat) is in fact the cheapest house we looked at (all houses were of a similar size and this one is in fact the best maintained and appointed of the lot that we viewed, and has by far the largest garden we had seen), and the LL even hung a gate for us at the end of the drive so we can let the dog run around the garden offlead :)

ALmost every rural landlord we have had has demanded we keep our dg chained up outside, but we did not agree to that.

And now we have a secure garden..and permission to run the dogs in his fields..it varies greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

djimi wrote: »
    Theres been a couple of threads on here recently of people having trouble with dogs in rented accomodation; namely that the landlord agreed to it the revoked the permission a short time later.

My advise is if you do find a landlord who allows pets get that agreement very solidly in writing so that it is hard for them to revoke it on a whim.

In that particualr thread the landlord was right i think. He or she had no problem with them having a dog but the neighbours did

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There was another one a few weeks ago where the OP got permission from the landlord only for her psycho mother to revoke it or something like that. Either way, the more that it is in formal writing and signed by the landlord the less chance there is of the landlord being able to change their mind.

Advertisement