Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric fence

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My next door neighbour has 15 cats that are constantly relieving themselves in my garden and the smell is unbearable. My flowers are ruined and being dug up them and nothing will grow if they keep urinating on the soil. I also have a 6 year old son and I can't even let him out to play in the garden. I have purchased a 9 volt electric fence to run along the top of my wall but I can't find information anywhere if it is illegal or not. I have even got onto the DSPCA and they have no idea.
    Any information would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a site here that seems to suggest it is not illegal in the UK. http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/cats_out.asp If you think it would work I would say go for it. However cats are really not all that likely to touch a wire, they would jump over it most of the time, so I am not sure it would work. Possibly the old reliable water pistol might be a better bet.

I have two cats, but I sympathise with your situation, 15 cats in an urban house is ridiculous, maybe there should be some sort of a limit on numbers of animals in that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

I agree with the previous poster, the cats probably will just step over the fence. There are a few options here and from a hygiene/efficiency method use water spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi.. We had problems with an unconsiderate neighbour with a dose of cats doing the same.. We got one of the battery powered untrasonic units form Mr Middleton and it worked great.. the fact that it was battery I could move it round and keep them afraid to come into our garden... The eventually just gave up and sh1t somewhere else..

15 cats is crazy and I'd consider contacting the authorities about that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Could be animal hoarding alright. Is the older elderly or not quite there?

You could trap some and bring them to the vet... If they are not being looked after properly it could be the best thing for them.

Does the owner provide any kind of a litter tray for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 robot10

Many thanks for your reply, this is a great help and has put my mind a ease.
    I bought a fence from the US as I couldn't find anywhere here or the UK so that's one reason I was concerned. I have a water gun but they come during the night. The fence in question is pretty high so they have to climb up to it so they will hit off the wire. I have nothing against cats and had many over the years but I agree that there should be limit in urban areas. I'll update in the short future with an update.

Thanks again,
    -Seán.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Get a dog !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Get a dog !

Good idea.

Maybe throw some sprinklers down for a while.

The electric fence is working an absolute treat. Not one cat in my garden since I put it up.
    I'm a very happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markryan

robot10
    I have a similar problem - could you send on the link to the fence you purchased?
    thanks

Hi,

Here is the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Zareba-K-9-KIT-Garden-Electric/dp/B00099FAK2
    Since I put the fence up I have only ever seen 1 cat in my garden. I found it a bit tricky to put up but once up I have had no problems.
    Another thing to take into consideration is that although this is the cheapest fence you will fine anywhere I discovered that I had to pay duty on it when it was delivered.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement