Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limiting/Charging for Wifi access

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭

A charity I do some (voluntary) work for currently runs an open Wifi network at an outdoor pursuits centre. Internet access is filtered using OpenDNS and site categorisation. (The place is used mainly by children/teenagers)

I've been asked to look into the possibility of (a) charging for time-limited access and (b) providing free, time limited access

I contacted Bitbuzz but they weren't interested or were unable to suggest a solution.

Has anyone any helpful suggestions? Are there any routers, or applications that would work with routers that would facilitiate this?

Staff in the centre are not IT savvy and it wont be possible to change a WEP/WPA key on the router every week or day. Ideally a user would be granted both a userid and password for an account for a defined period.

I'd be happy if they stopped broadcasting the SSID and perhaps changed this every so often, but that might be beyond them..

Thanks

Comments

Advertisement