Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my computer keeps freezing and saying not responding.

• 01-11-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    apologies in advance but im not exactly a wizz when it comes to computers.
    im using a philips iqon with windows vista, aprox 3-4years old, the computer isint the fastest machine in the world but i dont want to wipe it and start afresh as ive to much info for work which i dont want to risk losing.
    my main problem is that when i click my computer it never opens and when i try to close it it says not responding.
    is there any quick fix or software i can get to cure this problem???
    thanks
    tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sounds like an explorer.exe problem.

Try to boot in to safe mode on the machine (restart and while it's powering up tap the F8 key. You'll get a screen with options choose "Safe mode with networking").

When you're in there update or re-install (if it allows you) any antivirus program.

I'd recommend downloading (to a usb key) Spybot search and destroy. Install/update and run that to see what it finds.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,270 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd actualy be curious to see an HT Report of your computer. Maybe you have more than one antivirus program installed or something.

Shouldnt be afraid of reformatting. Just look around and grab all your important documents. Unless you've placed them somewhere awkward, 99% of all of your work is going to be located in My Documents and similar directories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This can be caused by a load of things....

But first thing I would try... remove any external hard drives, CDs, floppy disks etc etc... (i.e. in case for example there is a dodgy CD in the drive that explorer.exe cant read)... Then run a chkdsk on your hard drive to make sure there are no errors that are preventing explorer.exe from reading it..

If these dont uncover anything, then I would be looking at virus/spyware/misconfigured application.. that sort of thing.. But the above is what I would do first..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

the first thing i would do would be to back up all that important stuff you're talking about! laptops and pc's can die at the drop of a hat. it's rare, but don't take the chance!

Advertisement