Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing the PSU?

• 01-11-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Ive done some tests and appears the PSU is dead. Ive had a look on Komplett and Dabs for a new one, dabs has them from 15-20 and komplett starts around 40 euro. Its a cheap and old PC so i want to spend as little as possible but i dont want to buy something that will burn out within a year either so does it matter what one i choose or should i just buy the cheapest one?

Also its a 24 pin one so looks like they all support that, being an old PC i dont need sata connections and it just has the standard hard drive, dvd player so i presume new units come with these connections or else i can swap the connections on the old one to use on this one?

btw is there a test i can do on the motherboard to double check thats alright without having a PSU working? Theres no point in shelling out for a new PSU if the motherboard is dead, what would kill the old PSU would it be likely to cause any damage to the motherboard?

Also i tried hooking up the motherboard to another PC i have to be sure, one is a dell xps and it only seems to have an 8pin connection not a 20pin or 24pin, guess this is a new version or something. I also tried with another old pc but that had a 14 pin connection, its a compact PC not your usual desktop though.

Dimensions are 150mm x 90mm approx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wouldn't be 100% about replacing a PSU. But just thought that Speccy might give you a hand.

It'll give you the manufacturer and type of your motherboard so you can go ahead and google to check if it's compatible.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Thanks that should help in choosing the right one, any more advice appreciated

Ok having some issues finding a PSU

Ive attached screenshots of the connections i need but im not even sure of their names, any ideas where i can pickup a PSU with these features?

24pin is the main connector, there is also that 4pin square connection but i think thats pretty standard too so i didnt take a screenshot.

drive.jpg is a flat black connection and small.jpg is a thin small white connection, both of those connect to either the hard drive or the dvd player

Then there is 3 of the 4pin.jpg ones which are the power supply to the dvd, hard drive etc

Heres the rest of the screenshots, none of the ones on dabs seem to have these other types but then again im not sure of the names so even if i knew the names of these types of cables it would help me searching.

Heres a list of PSUs on dabs http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,power-supply-units/11259 but i suspect they only suit newer machines and this is a couple of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 garvbox

Be very wary of connecting dell equipment to standardised stuff, dell PSUs have been known to blow normal motherboards cos they use their own connection standards.

With the cost of shipping one single item from dabs I reckon you'd do better to go into PC world or some shop and pick up a handy PSU off the shelf, one of similar spec to your old one. If its not under much load it should last away fine out, and if it doesnt it's no hassle to bring it back to them rather than shipping back to dabs like. What model is the PC by the way? ATX power supplies havent changed much in years really

• Advertisement

Nearest PC World and Maplin are 1 hours drive away, we have click here but id almost guarantee that 1) It would be close to double the price for their cheapest and 2) they wont have it in stock and will need to order it so i went ahead and bought this one

http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-500w-micro-atx-psu-m-500u-63KV.html

Hopefully that will be ok

Its a packard bell PC, my own is a dell that i was going to hook it up to but it turned out it didnt have a 20pin connnector but had an 8pin connector so i couldnt do it in the end anway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

i would not scrimp on a psu cuz if it blows it could take every part with it .it has happened to me and it,s not a nice thing http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-builder-series-cx430-430w-atx-psu-75S1.html?refs=50113

Advertisement