Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI taken over Storm Cinemas ??

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife was at the cinema in Portlaoise on sat night and said her ticket said UCI instead of Storm. I wonder have they taken the business over and if so will we get new digital projectors and a nice VIP section in the middle !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

When it comes to that cinema, I'd consider yourself lucky just to not find cow****e on your seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Thanks for that delightful comment;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hi all,

My wife was at the cinema in Portlaoise on sat night and said her ticket said UCI instead of Storm. I wonder have they taken the business over and if so will we get new digital projectors and a nice VIP section in the middle !

Yes they have been bought out. The owner sold all the Storm Cinema's in the Republic to UCI earlier this year [or late last year....I cant remember exactly, but it was a while ago]....He kept the most profitable one in Belfast though.

As for new projectors and a VIP section, I wouldnt count on it just yet, as I'd imagine that the larger Storm in Limerick would get preferential treatment unfortunately.

Mossin wrote: »
    Yes they have been bought out. The owner sold all the Storm Cinema's in the Republic to UCI earlier this year [or late last year....I cant remember exactly, but it was a while ago]....He kept the most profitable one in Belfast though.

As for new projectors and a VIP section, I wouldnt count on it just yet, as I'd imagine that the larger Storm in Limerick would get preferential treatment unfortunately.

Thanks for the info.

I would agree Limerick is in line 1st but there aren't that many Storm outlets and IF they are going to rebrand they are going to have to offer the same in Portlaoise at they do in the new one in Newbridge. As i said IF, they might decide to keep the storm brand going but i noticed the storm site is running very similar to the UCI one.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

ILA wrote: »
    When it comes to that cinema, I'd consider yourself lucky just to not find cow****e on your seat.

I think there's a certain "charm" to the Portlaoise Storm and I enjoy going there cos it's not always mental (or a rip off) like Vue in Liffey Valley (in Dublin) or UCI in Newbridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

adser53 wrote: »
    I think there's a certain "charm" to the Portlaoise Storm and I enjoy going there cos it's not always mental (or a rip off) like Vue in Liffey Valley (in Dublin) or UCI in Newbridge
    It's not a rip-off? The Savoy on O'Connell Street is cheaper than it for both entry and snacks.

It's not a rip-off? The Savoy on O'Connell Street is cheaper than it for both entry and snacks.

But it doesn't have the range of films the others offer. A lot of smaller films are just glossed over by the savoy and also storm. I like films other than the major block busters and often have to travel to dublin to see them as i can't see them down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Least its better than the old cinema! I can still remember the smell in there as I tried to walk across the incredibly sticky floor after Jurassic Park. Good times! :)

Havent been to the new one in years coz Im a cheapskate with the internet and a penchant for torrents but I wouldnt hold my breath for any upgrades.

Spoken like a true Dub ;)

True but that's up in the big smoke. I find it cheaper than the cinemas within range of Portlaoise. Plus ye have that really friendly auld lad in the suit that takes your tickets. :D
    Like Vai, I'm a downloader and mostly broke so I don't get to go cinema as much as I'd like despite being a huge film fan. But I like the fact it's never too busy and the food is as good as anywhere else so it gets my vote. I couldn't be arsed going to the new UCI in Newbridge. Aside from the travel, its always black and is more expensive.
    Storm ftw!
    But it doesn't have the range of films the others offer. A lot of smaller films are just glossed over by the savoy and also storm. I like films other than the major block busters and often have to travel to dublin to see them as i can't see them down here.
    I could be well off the mark but was the Dunmaise arts centre not showing classic and less-than-blockbuster films for a while there? I think they had a film club or something but I could be mistaken

• Advertisement

**Vai** wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Dub ;)
    Gracias (I think :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Well, won't have to worry about ticket prices getting cheaper anyway.

I could be well off the mark but was the Dunmaise arts centre not showing classic and less-than-blockbuster films for a while there? I think they had a film club or something but I could be mistaken

Right you are sir. They tend to show good movies but are few and far between. Went to see The Motorcycle Diaries in there and it was great except the seats are tough on the old spine after a while.

I must check it out to see whats on. Your not in Esker Hills by any chance are you Vai?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

I must check it out to see whats on. Your not in Esker Hills by any chance are you Vai?

No not anymore, used to live up there, on Primrose Avenue. U hardly know Mel McCarthy by any chance?

Ehhh not personally but I kinda run the the esker hills forum and facebook page so I recognise the name. I may have spoken to them before on one of those or else at one of the clean up days when I met so many people that I remember none of them :p everyone knows my name from doin it so its a tad embarrassing when they say hello and such and call me and all I can really say is "Ah, it's yourself"

Haha I know the feeling!

Advertisement