Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a realistic fake cat?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Not a joke. My aunt has gone into a nursing home suffering from dementia. It came on suddenly and is heartbreaking to see. She had a cat that she adored, she treated him like a baby. He was a wild cat and still has some feral instincts - e.g. will not allow anyone to put him into a pet carrier. Because of this he cannot be brought into her in the home. She is fretting over him. Sometimes she thinks he's in the bed with her and other times she's calling out for him.

Would anyone know where I could get a decent fake cat? I know you can get ones that are battery operated and look like they're sleeping but it needs to be convincing. I've seen some on ebay but they're not great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Not a joke. My aunt has gone into a nursing home suffering from dementia. It came on suddenly and is heartbreaking to see. She had a cat that she adored, she treated him like a baby. He was a wild cat and still has some feral instincts - e.g. will not allow anyone to put him into a pet carrier. Because of this he cannot be brought into her in the home. She is fretting over him. Sometimes she thinks he's in the bed with her and other times she's calling out for him.

Would anyone know where I could get a decent fake cat? I know you can get ones that are battery operated and look like they're sleeping but it needs to be convincing. I've seen some on ebay but they're not great.

I find this both tragic and hilarious so I feel compelled to post. A stuffed cat would probably be your best option with regards appearance. Have a look online. However, it won't move or make cat sounds so your aunt may call shenanigans quite quickly. Just because she has dementia doesn't mean she won't cop on to the discrepancy straight away. The brain works in mysterious ways and I imagine people with dementia have something going on up there even if it is shuffled badly.

Have you talked to her doctor about this? Have you told the people who look after her in the home about it? Best to get their opinions first.

Anything other than the real thing is going to look pretty dodgy to her I reckon. Of course you could get a robotic toy cat etc and see how she gets on with that. I have a feeling Japanese toy websites could be the way forward for this kind of craic.

Let me know how you get on. You have my full attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

twinsen wrote: »

Staish,

They are pretty good. I might order one for my cats to tear apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you cant find anything realistic what about contacting an organisation such as Peata (which bring dogs and possibly cats) or PetsasTherapy (just dogs) to care homes and provide much needed comfort and happiness to eldery patients who have had to leave their pets behind. I think this is an amazing service and if god forbid when im older had to go into a nursing home, i would love this.

Alternatively, is it possible to make a video of the cat and bring it in to play for her on a DVD player? You could reassure her hes been well looked after that way either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

• Advertisement
Advertisement