Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Bell - Anyone happen to replace theirs recently?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

I noticed the door bell is no longer working...not a bad thing I suppose...but I will want to at some stage repair or replace it.

I had a look at the door push bell - all looks ok, and at the actual bell...all connections are good...it just doesn't work. From what I can see it appears to be wired to a transformer somewhere (that's where the wires connect on the ringer with the transformer label), but I have no idea where that transformer is - it must be hidden behind plaster work somewhere. I reckon it's a dodgey transformer which is still wired to the mains - I know this cause it is written on the fuse box notes!

Has anyone been down this road and replaced their door bell recently (Two bed townhouse in Charlesland Wood) and more specifically, found out where their transformer is?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're sometimes mounted inside the CU (consumer unit, aka the 'fuse' box with all the trip switches etc.). It'll look a bit like this ... http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_2/MK5711.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

thanks, had a look, but it's not there...As there's only alarm grade cable connecting the push bell and the door chime units, the transformer has to be in between somewhere - and most likely somewhere near the fuse box seeing as it's location beside the front door.

I reckon it could be in the ceiling above the 'CU'?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

our doorbell stopped working also so i removed the button at the front door, replaced it with a voice intercom using the alarm cable (Wireless alarm installed). Intercom much better especially when the better half on her own. Intercom including phone handset cost EUR75 to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

our doorbell stopped working also so i removed the button at the front door, replaced it with a voice intercom using the alarm cable (Wireless alarm installed). Intercom much better especially when the better half on her own. Intercom including phone handset cost EUR75 to buy.

Can you tell me where to buy, and who I might get to install? (I'd be useless at that sort of thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 donegalnordie

it's a "farfisa" intercom. Cant remember the name of the shop now but we got it in rathmines. My dad fitted it as he is handy with the wiring etc... so the only cost was the intercom itself. there are quite a few companies out there doing this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you're not fussed about the intercom thing, there are plenty of wireless doorbells to be had both in your usual DIY superstores or online. There's no more DIY involved than a couple of screws for the replacement (battery powered) door push button. The actual bell unit can either be battery powered or a plug in unit, and has the advantage that you can position them anywhere in the house, move them around to different rooms, or even have multiple ones in different parts of the house without messing with wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Thanks. I'm interested in an intercom because I'm in a duplex, which means there's a full flight of stairs between the front door and the rest of the house. Which means, it's two full flights of stairs if you happen to be upstairs when the doorbell rings. It would be handy to ask who's there, and/or let callers know you are in fact coming to answer the door but it might take a while.

I always assumed they would cost quite a bit more than what's quoted above, so I was pleased to find out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steve2612

Has anyone got a solar powered wireless doorbell? That is, the button would be solar powered and transmit wirelessly to a receiver that is plugged in somewhere in the house. I'm just wondering if it would work given our lack of sun light. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them on the web?

Alternatively could anyone recommend a battery operated button/transmitter that the batteries would last for at least a couple of years?

Thanks,
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1 croweballs

Hi all

im a sparks by trade and would suggest not going wireless if it can be helped as internet and other devices can interfere with the wireless system .In saying that I installed a wireless one should I say plugged in one for my mother and it hast given her any issues .

If you are replacing the intercom set at the front of the door it will be a very easy thing to do just insert same colour or like for like on the connections and you will not kill your self as the voltage is very low so no electrical shocks will accour .The only thing I would say is to insert silicone around the new unit outside so that you prevent water getting into the unit .

Advertisement