Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springer Spaniel restless at night

Options
  • 01-11-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭

Hi, any advice here would be very helpful....5 year old Springer Spaniel, just doesnt want to go to bed at night. He's kept indoors, scratches at door to get out, then within minutes hes scratching to get back in again, does a lot of whining too.

I've noticed once I leave him into my room he stops and settles down, so its obviously attention and company he wants! I dont want to get him into the habit of sleeping in bedrooms, hes usually downstairs on bed in kitchen.

He seems to get into this routine every so often, but lately its non stop for past few weeks. Im just wondering is there anything I can do to help him settle down more, just reading online about Rescue Remedy for pets, anyone tried this? Anything I should/shouldnt be feeding him? Just likes his dog food and biscuits, the odd few chicken scraps etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Hi, any advice here would be very helpful....5 year old Springer Spaniel, just doesnt want to go to bed at night. He's kept indoors, scratches at door to get out, then within minutes hes scratching to get back in again, does a lot of whining too.

I've noticed once I leave him into my room he stops and settles down, so its obviously attention and company he wants! I dont want to get him into the habit of sleeping in bedrooms, hes usually downstairs on bed in kitchen.

He seems to get into this routine every so often, but lately its non stop for past few weeks. Im just wondering is there anything I can do to help him settle down more, just reading online about Rescue Remedy for pets, anyone tried this? Anything I should/shouldnt be feeding him? Just likes his dog food and biscuits, the odd few chicken scraps etc.
    how often is the dog walked? its probably best not to give in to his demands and let him cry because if you give in once and let him into the bedroom then your back too square one. maybe a longer walk before bedtime would help.soumds restless and needs to expend more energy during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

agree with other poster, give in once and he will keep it up. has there been many fireworks around? maybe something else disturbing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

No its not fireworks as its a recurring problem, not just at Halloween.

I find it difficult lately to take him for walks, did it regularly over summer but now with dark evenings and bad weather lately I cant get out with him, as I live in the country. If the problem was solely down to lack of exercise I would have to consider taking him to a floodlit running track or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

my brother has a 6 yr old male springer Trigger, while he is only a pet and not a gun dog, trigger needs at least an hour to a hr and a half of lead everyday. As well as this cos my brother works my dad brings him on a hr lead walk a day as well.
    My brother lives in country as well and he works, so his walks are in the dark now as well, but as my brother says if he didnt or cut the off lead run through the winter he would have a mental dog on his hands. To solve the dark eve trigger is fitted oud with a yellow high vis jacket my brother the same, he also carrys a tourch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

OP are you sure his health is ok? May be worth a vet trip just in case. One of mine is very much like this looking to go out and then in again especially if she has diareah or urinary incontinence (she had this when on steriods) and she gets very upset by it. Also she will not lay down in the one place for very long to due neurological issues, she moves every few minutes.

If I were you the first thing would be a trip to the vet then if you get the all clear on the way home I would be stopping by an outdoor clothing shop and get myself some wet gear and high viz. As youknow springers are born to work and bad weather does not turn them off:). We did not exercise ONE day and the stairs was eaten.....badly damaged as in replace large parts not repair:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Thanks all for your replies.:)

He was actually at the vet last month, he has a history of skin allergies underneath his belly/legs....got that sorted, that has kept him awake before but I've given him a good check this time and cant see any rashes. You would normally see it around his eyes when he gets itchy, but he seems all clear right now. The vet didnt find anything else wrong with him (although he probably wasnt looking for it!!)

Im actually gonna go get some high-viz stuff because I really need to get him out walking somehow. I didnt realise Springers needed 1-2 hrs every day, even the walks I useda take him on would only last about 20/30 mins. Failing that, I may have to get some earplugs to drown him out at night....but even those might not work with all the noise he makes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Id get vet to give him a once over just to make sure there is nothing wrong.Dogs need to be walked every day wether its sunny or raining.I know its not nice in the winter but a good warm coat,scarf and hat will keep ye dry and toasty.I actually love walking mine at night...the peace is great hehehe.If you could get him out even for 20 minutes before bed im sure he would be happier?Then again it would take more than 20 mins to tier a springer out:)Have you got a crate?They can make a dog feel very safe and secure,When I have nervous fosters I put a really soft comfy bed in,some treats,toys and a big blanket over 3 sides of it and MOST of them are grand although there are some bold ones:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

my brother has a 6 yr old male springer Trigger, while he is only a pet and not a gun dog, trigger needs at least an hour to a hr and a half of lead everyday. As well as this cos my brother works my dad brings him on a hr lead walk a day as well.
    My brother lives in country as well and he works, so his walks are in the dark now as well, but as my brother says if he didnt or cut the off lead run through the winter he would have a mental dog on his hands. To solve the dark eve trigger is fitted oud with a yellow high vis jacket my brother the same, he also carrys a tourch.

+1

I have a cocker and she is the same - has to be brought out every single day no matter the weather. I am really feeling the dark evenings now as I don't get home from work till at least 6 and it is pitch black.

I got a hi-vis jacket for her (and me!) in the €2 shop and carry a torch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Springers like their human company, mine I'm sure figure they are humans too - anyway the other side is to give in completely like we did and have the dog in the bedroom - be warned though - when the lights go out Oscar is on his bed, however sometimes in the night he always gets up and sleeps on the end of our bed!

Also let me reiterate what others have said - Springers need their exercise - a good 60 minutes a day - plus mental stimulation - they're retrievers and work dogs!

- make sure you play fetch with them - not sticks though - get some balls/toys
    - get them using their noses - teach them to search and find something -I hide a vanilla scented ball and they love to search for it using their noses.
    - Get a clicker and do 10 minutes of clicker training each day - it's fun for you and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Thedogspyjamas

oh yes, i would say it's definately exercise. i have an english fox hound and she has only three legs. when it's raining like today she doesn't want to go out, but when i take her out on the lead and let her go in the fields she doesn't come back for hours; she dissapears into the woods and returns tired and wet. silly because she doesn't want to go out when it rains and scratches to get in seconds later, but when i take her out she's glad to come and nature takes over. again, she has three legs and had a terrible past life story, which involves rain, woods and starvation. so go figure. try to get your dog more active and it will all get better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement