Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - November 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Gerry howley

another bitterly cold night here in castlebar footpaths lethal like a bottle im sure many roads are the same,
    its -4 at the moment im sure it will dip further in the early hours .:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Cold, clear and calm in Galway city. Temperatures has risen from a low of -5C at 8PM to -3.1C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

very slight flakes (more like dust)

Edit: stopped now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Clear and calm night, -4C at the moment. Showers died out here about 6 in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

first snow has started here now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Oh my God, literally went down town 30 mins ago collecting my mother and the place was crisp and clear. Just read the post above about a few flakes of snow in Cork, looked out the door, the place is covered.:eek:
    Ohhhh noooo!! Gettin to work in the morning is going to be fun!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bucks18777

sorry for butting in on this thread . im gettin really frustrated cause i dont know how to start a new thread on this . any1 help ??

bucks18777 wrote: »
    sorry for butting in on this thread . im gettin really frustrated cause i dont know how to start a new thread on this . any1 help ??
    Just go to the top of the page, select the forum you would like to start the new thread in, there is a new thread option on the top left. You can't miss it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deja vu... yes, snow here in West Cork.. about an inch or two.... ah well... like old times;; water and gas frozen.

rebel10 wrote: »
    Just go to the top of the page, select the forum you would like to start the new thread in, there is a new thread option on the top left. You can't miss it.:)

Problem is that you cannot see the new thread thingie if you are reading a thread.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Is it better to clear the driveway now and grit it or will doing that cause it to be like an ice rink?

We have rest snow now which is drivable on am wondering if clearing it could make it worse?

Is it better to clear the driveway now and grit it or will doing that cause it to be like an ice rink?

We have rest snow now which is drivable on am wondering if clearing it could make it worse?

Well at least the exercise will warm you up....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-12.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-7c here exactally. Clear and very crisp morning.

Being warned not to leave the house. What to do...
    Apparently the rest of Cork is fine but here its brutal. Hate snow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Dense freezing fog in Galway City has painted every surface silvery white :)

Overnight low -5.6C, temp now -4.5C

Just rang work to tell them i wouldn't be in til some of the snow has thawed, he didn't believe me:mad:. Work is 40 miles from me and apparently there is no snow there. Hate this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Deja vu... yes, snow here in West Cork.. about an inch or two.... ah well... like old times;; water and gas frozen.
    are you using Butane rather than Propane? Propane should keep flowing down to temperatures never seen in this country (-42 deg C). You can get it in the same type bottles AND using the same regulator in most of the bigger stores and farmers co-ops. Smaller places will tell you you need a different, screw-in regulator. I use it in my camper in Winter as I was fed up with Butane letting me down once outside temps dropped towards 5 or so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

bucks18777 wrote: »
    goto the main page for the weather forum (where all the threads are)thats where the thread starter button is (top right).

0 deg,2 inches of snow this morning.(If your bottled gas is freezing, wrap a old duvet around the drum and put some pipe insulation on the exposed gas pipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭secman

Drove from North Wexford to Dublin yesterday evening at approx 5pm, the variances in conditions , temp was very interesting. Wexford was a whiteout, main road from wexford to gorey was quite bad, driving in a track ( only spot on road without snow was basically the width of the tyres, temp was hovering between -5 and -6.
    The gorey bypass road condition was quite similar, outside lane was completely off limit, inside lane again was a track situation, temps gradually fell to -9.5.
    From the Tap to Jack Whites the road improved slightly, temp rose to -6, next was the Wicklow bypass, all lanes were open, hardly any sign of snow !temps rose again to between -5 and -4.
    Next was the M50 again we were down to a single lane for quite alot of it and the temp rose to a balmy -3.5 ! Nearing the Firhouse and Tallaght exits the 2 lanes were open and temp was a constant balmy -3.5.

The variances over a short distance of about 70 odd miles was quite noticable.

That journey usuallly takes about 1 hour and 9 min, last night it was 2 hr and 8 min.

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Sunny morning but very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Bright morning here and positively balmy at -1c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So this is where the rocket is blasting off from! :)

Sandyford 11.00 Monday: Calm, cloudy, -3C and 8cm of snow on the ground.
    Snowed Friday night, Saturday night and last night (when it was snowing while -8C last night) and temp bottomed out at -9C this morning.

Winter wonderland in Autumn! :cool:

btw - the NRA automatic station recorded -13C (air temp) on the N11 at Arklow, of all places.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    are you using Butane rather than Propane? Propane should keep flowing down to temperatures never seen in this country (-42 deg C). You can get it in the same type bottles AND using the same regulator in most of the bigger stores and farmers co-ops. Smaller places will tell you you need a different, screw-in regulator. I use it in my camper in Winter as I was fed up with Butane letting me down once outside temps dropped towards 5 or so.

No idea! I just buy gas cylinders..:)

It is usually the pipes that freeze rather than the cylinder; this one has a very long pipe that I have lagged and freed a few times already to no avail; too short of water to keep doing that. Will try again later.. we still have the slow cooker for soup, and toaster and kettle. Melting snow for water..Like old times is this!!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    So this is where the rocket is blasting off from! :)

Sandyford 11.00 Monday: Calm, cloudy, -3C and 8cm of snow on the ground.
    Snowed Friday night, Saturday night and last night (when it was snowing while -8C last night) and temp bottomed out at -9C this morning.

Winter wonderland in Autumn! :cool:

btw - the NRA automatic station recorded -13C (air temp) on the N11 at Arklow, of all places.

?? it is winter....

rebel10 wrote: »
    Being warned not to leave the house. What to do...
    Apparently the rest of Cork is fine but here its brutal. Hate snow:(

Where are you? There is some traffic moving very slowly along the lanes... Cars covered in snow and very cautious..

Light snow from dark skies; West Cork

Graces7 wrote: »
    ?? it is winter....

Nah - us weather folk regard Dec - Feb as winter. Based on the weather! In America, winter doesn't start till 21st December and finishes on 21st March.

The "traditional" Irish winter of Nov-Jan is daft; most years Feb is the coldest month in many places and November is usually way warmer than any of the three winter months. In fact the average March is colder than November.

Update: Sandyford

1pm Monday - snowing again; temp -1C

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Nah - us weather folk regard Dec - Feb as winter. Based on the weather! In America, winter doesn't start till 21st December and finishes on 21st March.
    The "traditional" Irish winter of Nov-Jan is daft; most years Feb is the coldest month in many places and November is usually way warmer than any of the three winter months. In fact the average March is colder than November.

Tomorrow is still the last day of autumn.

I'm sure that in the States, a Floridian would have a different view to winter to a Detroit resident.

Advertisement